Home Protection Weapon

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
With these crazy times I have decided to buy a new home protection weapon. This will be a gun I leave out of my safe so I'm not trying to break the bank but I want something dependable. A friend recommendedl a DPMS AR. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Honestly a shotgun with extended tube is your better match. Won't pierce walls in case friendlies are in another room.

The rifle is before they breech the door. I have a Ruger set up for that purpose.

Longer than that is my deer rifle.

Exhaust all, 1911.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Honestly a shotgun with extended tube is your better match. Won't pierce walls in case friendlies are in another room.

The rifle is before they breech the door. I have a Ruger set up for that purpose.

Longer than that is my deer rifle.

Exhaust all, 1911.
May just look at a high capacity shotgun. All my throw a ways are single barrel

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Rifle and even shotgun in close quarters can be a limiting factor because it requires swinging. AR pistols are gaining in popularity for this reason.

I like Ruger ARs, they are a little nicer than other entry level makes. One day I'll do a AR pistol. I'll leave caliber up to you. A nice thing is some Ruger American rifles accept AR Mags.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
So, you are talking about using for targets outside of the home, not inside?? That does make a difference...
Yea I should have specified. Worried bout the group scenario. Just like Tony we have placed guns in strategic places but most are single barrel shotguns that we don't mind losing. Worried bout pump shotguns if I'm not home. Kinda looking at something my gf could handle.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a Pitbull and a Jack Russel........and a .380 on the nightstand......highly recommend all 3

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
So if you decided you need something now I ask this?
Have you run the AR platform?
Do you have a strong background in firearms?
Do you have the time, range and money to get the gun and run it into the ground so it becomes second nature?

Back to the first part. (Now) not next month or next year.
If you can answer 2 of the above questions an AR15 can be the pick.

Other than that I would look at a 12 or 20 Ga shorter barrel HD shotgun.
Some SA shotguns out are very easy to learn and gun.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Never had an AR but I would consider my self well rounded with any other weapon and have a range on my property. Spent years toting a sidearm for work. Have a good supply of weapons but all are for hunting. I've never felt the need to have a AR type weapon but my gf is getting worried with the current situation and feels we may need to look at them.

Infamous1

Eight Pointer
I have a Pitbull and a Jack Russel........and a .380 on the nightstand......highly recommend all 3
Pics please....

Everyone needs an AR, they are cheap enough you can buy the girlfriend her own. Most any factory built gun will run fine. Get you some Magpul Pmags a pile of ammo and have at it!!

justincp3

Button Buck
With these crazy times I have decided to buy a new home protection weapon. This will be a gun I leave out of my safe so I'm not trying to break the bank but I want something dependable. A friend recommendedl a DPMS AR. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

A nice mossberg 590 is unrivaled in my opinion but hey a 12 gauge buckshot doesn’t joke no matter what is shooting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
My choice has always been 12 with modified choke and buckshot. I know many like the tactical shotguns including me after I tried one. I wouldn't be bit worried about a 20 for the lady with buckshot have one set up for wife for when I'm away

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
AR platform in 300 blackout w/ QD suppressor. Takes care of the problem and never wakes up the neighbors. My 5 year old calls it her clapper rifle, only hear a soft clap, then problem solved.

I've got one of those sitting nearby right now. I have a direct thread suppressor instead of QD

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just pick something and go get real training with it. You probably own a fine HD gun already.
Put a light on it.
And a sling if it’s a long gun.

An AR is my pick. I’ve gotten into the penetration(😂) debate before.
Do your own research before you assume anything.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
AR platform in 300 blackout w/ QD suppressor. Takes care of the problem and never wakes up the neighbors. My 5 year old calls it her clapper rifle, only hear a soft clap, then problem solved.

This is an ideal option.
Magazine capacity. No recoil. No muzzle blast. Terminal performance. Easy to manipulate one handed. Easy to reload.
Winner. Winner.