home defense shotguns

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
the tactical home defense shotgun - pro - cons -fads

I've just walked by them and looked and shrugged my shoulders. Finally held one Sunday evening.

What's your thoughts? I know that they do the same as a regular shotguns, but just wondering

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Short is good, but I want a stock. No pistol grip. I’ve seen some locally and they were all extremely cheap pumps. I’d have to have a reputable brand. I’ve “made” a few defense guns for people. Basically new or cut barrel, usually ghost ring sights, some sort of ammo carrier like a speedfeed stock or side saddle. Usually they want them duracoated a tacticool color. Sometimes other tactical accessories but by far the most common request was as mentioned. No joke I’ve even brazed a bayonet lug on one for giggles.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
i got an old 870 wingmaster 12g 30inch bbl....got a 5 round tube extension hold 10rnds....works fine.....i'd rather have a 20g......i got a keltec ksg15 also, but i havent shot it enough to feel comfortable with it.....

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
Different people like different things. I don't live in a brick house, and I'm close to my neighbors, so 00 buck isn't for me.

If I did have one, it would be set up like @Hunting Nut . Less than 24" barrel, shell extension until flush, pistol grip (personal preference, either grip works), and semi auto. I would recommend that to anyone looking. Or a vepr or Saiga with 6-7 round magazine, higher if lower gauge, no knock-off brands.

Only reason to get a pump gun is cost, even then a dead-reliable semi auto is only 2-300 more. No other justifiable reason to me.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
After I'd wrapped up all my trap / skeet shooting / hunting with modern guns and switched completely to Flintlocks, I'd gradually sold off all my long guns. Then when the dims stole the election and 'antifa' BS was unfolding all across the country, I wanted a home defense shotgun.
Bought a Remington 1187 ( semi ) at Ed Nicely's in Southern Pines, had him shorten the barrel to the legal limit.
Dismantled & cleaned it...reassembled & checked it out...stands loaded & ready with #4's...no chance of anything exiting the house and hurting a neighbor.

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
After I'd wrapped up all my trap / skeet shooting / hunting with modern guns and switched completely to Flintlocks, I'd gradually sold off all my long guns. Then when the dims stole the election and 'antifa' BS was unfolding all across the country, I wanted a home defense shotgun.
Bought a Remington 1187 ( semi ) at Ed Nicely's in Southern Pines, had him shorten the barrel to the legal limit.
Dismantled & cleaned it...reassembled & checked it out...stands loaded & ready with #4's...no chance of anything exiting the house and hurting a neighbor.
That's a decent choice. How do the #4's run in the 11-87?

I would still keep in mid where it's pointed if you are super close to your neighbors:
Otherwise, should be fine.

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I bought a Charles Daly pump 12 gauge 18 1/2" barrel that came threaded for Beretta Mobil chokes from Dunham's for $225.00 I tried a rifled choke in it with 1 oz. Foster slugs at 50 yards will keep a 3" group using the bead sight. In the house I keep the modified choke in it and 2 3/4" #4 buck. I don't like a pistol grip or ghost ring sight.

Attachments

• IMG_20210320_133051306.jpg
    IMG_20210320_133051306.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210311_154908900.jpg
    IMG_20210311_154908900.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210308_114448717.jpg
    IMG_20210308_114448717.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210320_140134718~2.jpg
    IMG_20210320_140134718~2.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 9

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
Mine ain't new edge or "tacticool", but it gets the job done.
Model 12 I picked up back in April with a Lyman Poly-Choke installed. Chopped the barrel to 19.5" and installed a brass bead.
Handles well and points naturally for me.
3 rounds of Federal LE reduced recoil buck at 15 yards (dot is 3")

I also have an older 12ga Wingmaster with a 20" cyl barrel that serves the same purpose

20210505_185954 (1).jpg

20210717_175346.jpg

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
let's try this again, anyone have one of the Tactical Shotguns? One based on a AR or AK platform

What you like about it and what don't you like about it??

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
L.C. Smith 12g. double with 26" barrels. On a pump or semi 26" barrels may be longer than desired, but on a SxS it is a handy length gun. Loaded with #4's. I see no advantage to the "tactical" properties over a standard shotgun.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
let's try this again, anyone have one of the Tactical Shotguns? One based on a AR or AK platform

What you like about it and what don't you like about it??
Interesting that you specify AR or AK based. I see the term "tactical shotgun" and I think of a shorter barreled, longer magazine, probably with rifle sights, but most likely a pump.

I've shot one once. My take, directly from the Holiday Inn, is that they're mostly for people enacting a fantasy from a video game or a zombie movie.

I don't have personal knowledge of what the Military or Police use for what. But, when I see them with shotguns, its usually a pump, or M4 type shotgun, unless its a breeching attachment mounted below the barrel of their carbine.

A second take on it...why would you buy a weapon that doesn't do anything that your other shotguns do, that is theoretically for emergency use in a life or death situation, that will have an inherent learning curve that you've already covered with your turkey/dove/whatever shotgun? If you just like it or want it, have at it. But, if I must defend my home my first choice is the shotgun that I've carried untold miles, shot clay pigeons, ducks, geese, doves, grouse, woodcock, quail, varmints, deer...If one has a dedicated turkey gun, that would be the preferred choice in that situation (typically short barreled, maybe a pistol grip, etc...)

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My choice would be one of the youth 20 ga pumps (moss 500 or rem 870) Both proven designs and familiar to most to operate, with shorter barrels and stocks.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Have a bunch and have shot about all the different types and brands.

It is like a car, SUV or Truck. They all can be better in one use and not in the other.
Size matters when you want to carry or pack it, also weight!

Some of the short pistol guns are great if you spend time and ammo to learn then.
But hard to beat a pump 870 with an 18" barrel.

Raging Bull

Four Pointer
Hard to beat a short barrel pump for home defense. I would rather by 2 or them for same money as one of the new tactical ones that may not be as reliable.