Home Defense Lessons Learned

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My point is..........statements like this

" I've mentioned this before but I'll say it again. Becoming a CCH Instructor is about as difficult as getting a motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license. Neither hardly prepares you for anything meaningful."

.....aren't relevant to the person who instructed my class. His name is Lonnie Ashby, if you wish to delve further.

It seems people are getting their feathers ruffled. I don't get it. I asked if it was lawful to point your weapon at a trespasser......while stating I (personally) didn't see anything wrong with it.

If you know the answer, that's great. Please cite the statute. I'd like to be sure.

Feel free to believe what you choose to believe - that's the wonderful thing about free-choice. And BTW, I wasn't attacking anyone on a personal level, I was just making an general observation.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This situation is a really interesting case study. Would a reasonable jury think the OP was acting in self defense (in all of his actions he cited)?

I don't know. That's why I asked what I did.

I'm certain that (in certain circumstances) pointing a weapon at someone is a show of deadly force. I'm not certain when it ISN'T (sans self defense). Again....hence my question.

It's an interesting discussion, if the emotion is checked at the door.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Always be mindful, keep your eyes/ears open and be prepared.

The story below happened this past week in central NC, Randolph county. Copied from the Randolph county sheriff's office page.

February 9, 2019 / UPDATE:
On February 8, 2019, the Randolph County Sheriff’s Office responded to the Farmer Denton Road area near Farmer Court in Denton in reference to a Burglary in Progress. When Deputies arrived, witnesses stated that the subject had ran toward the rear of the residence. The Deputies apprehended the subject on a nearby property and arrested him. At the time of the encounter with Brown, Deputies were unaware of the wound to his abdomen.
The victim was reportedly approached in his yard by a man who appeared to be under the influence of an unknown substance. The victim told deputies he retreated into his residence, away from the person, and hid in a closet with a child. The victim stated the subject had kicked in the exterior door, breaking the door casing, and continued to try to force himself into the residence trapping the victim and child inside. After multiple requests for the subject to leave, the homeowner could no longer physically keep the subject from entering and fired a shot through the door injuring the suspect in the abdomen. This is when the subject ran toward the rear of the residence
The subject was identified by the Sheriff’s Office as Jason Edward Brown, 26, of 590 Ross Wood Road, Lexington. Randolph County Emergency Services transported him to Moses Cone Hospital in Greensboro for treatment. Brown was released from the hospital, transported to Randolph County Detention Center, and charged with Felony Breaking/Entering Terrorize/Injure, Misdemeanor Injury to Real Property, Misdemeanor Second Degree Trespassing and Misdemeanor Resisting a Public Officer. He was placed under a $150,000 secured bond. Brown’s first appearance will be February 11, 2019, in Randolph County District Court.
Person(s) Charged:
Jason Edward Brown
590 Rosswood Rd.
Lexington, NC