Home Defense Handgun?

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
How much difference in recoil is the 12 ga SW vs the 20 ga? i have a 12 ga and wife don't like it but i don't own any 20's except my Savage 220 Slug, thought about getting a 20 ga SW.

There are a lot of lower recoil 12 ga choices out there. Simply picking a lower weight shot charge, lower velocity etc will go a long way to reducing felt recoil. I suspect that pretty much any size shot will get the job done as the shot pattern is going to be pretty tight at any likely indoor distance.....think softball sized pattern.....

Personally, back when we still had kids at home and wall penetration was more of an issue I used a combination of frangible .45 loads in the pistol and a Mossberg 835 with the first few shots being #4 shot followed by a couple of 3.5" Hevi-Shot #2s.

Lance

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
How much difference in recoil is the 12 ga SW vs the 20 ga? i have a 12 ga and wife don't like it but i don't own any 20's except my Savage 220 Slug, thought about getting a 20 ga SW.
Same rounds there is a good difference.
The weight of the gun is about the same.
For the 12 ga have her shoot the short 12ga rounds. They are fun but still will get the job done. The are an easy one hander for snake shooting.
1544800132459-49216427.jpgfirst is bird, second buck, third is slug then a normal 2 3/4 slug.
They work.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would choose an 870, extended tube. But if it's got to be a handgun, I would go with a full size Glock or 1911.

I think the operating concerns are overblown, especially at home. I would argue it's more about the individual, both personality and level of training. Some guys can operate under pressure, and some can't. I know the studies, but not all gun users (homeowners or LEO) become bumbling idiots the instant a threat arises.

gpduxbak

Six Pointer
Same rounds there is a good difference.
The weight of the gun is about the same.
For the 12 ga have her shoot the short 12ga rounds. They are fun but still will get the job done. The are an easy one hander for snake shooting.
View attachment 23375first is bird, second buck, third is slug then a normal 2 3/4 slug.
They work.

I know it requires an adapter but otherwise do you know of any feeding issues with the mini shells?

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It was a shield 40 cal for me. Until last weekend I had back to back failure to feed issues after not firing the gun in nearly 6 months. Keep the sp101 357 beside me now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I know it requires an adapter but otherwise do you know of any feeding issues with the mini shells?
Mine would shoot without the adapter just fine. Not sure it is really needed.
I got it as it helps with loading some and have not had a fail to feed or function.
Cheap insurance I guess.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I live alone so my usual MO is to stay pretty much loaded for bear. A Winchester 1300 loaded with 000 and a spotlight on one side of the bed, an AR with an integral light in the vertical grip on the other, and an RIA compact .45 on the nightstand.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I live alone so my usual MO is to stay pretty much loaded for bear. A Winchester 1300 loaded with 000 and a spotlight on one side of the bed, an AR with an integral light in the vertical grip on the other, and an RIA compact .45 on the nightstand.
We most have bought similar nightstands. 27593

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
My concealed carry is a S&W 38 airweight that is usually close by. A 12 gauge pump with buck shot. Then my Ruger single six with the 22 mag cylinder and JHP's. Why would I trust an old single action revolver? I have owned this gun for over 35 years. Back when we butchered our own hogs and beef it was the gun we used. Plus, I used it to keep the rat population down around the hog lot. On the trap line it is the last thing a lot of coyotes see. Squirrels, rabbits, and a few ruffed grouse (I know some don't think taking a grouse not flying isn't sporting but they sure are tasty) and almost forget wood boring bees. I know some would not think much of my choices but I have used, carried and hunted with these guns for years. I have confidence in these guns and my ability to hit what I shoot at. No matter what you use, be so familiar with it you don't have to think about how to use it.

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
Shots on target is the most important aspect of self defense. Yes, revolvers can be viewed as more reliable but their recoil even in .38 special adversely affects accuracy and timing for the follow up shot especially if the weapon is deployed while laying in bed during a surprised intrusion. And since this isn't Hollywood and bad guys seldom die/crumble after being shot once even with a .357 or a "Judge" I opt for a semi-auto. None of the hand guns I own have ever FTF, FTE, or FTF and that is even when using cheap FMJ ammo so I have no concern with them operating when needed. My bed side weapon is a XD .40 Subcompact with a Crimson Trace laser. Attempting to align my sights in a darkened room when encountering an intruder isn't feasible IMO. I can point and squeeze while still under the covers. ;)My $0.02

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Lots of good points made and great discussion going here. Personally, my first choice for a "Home Defense" weapon is a short barreled 12 GA shotgun with #6 shot. Though not as maneuverable as a handgun, hits are easier (I think for most people), esp under stress. #6, I have been told, don't 'overpenetrate' sheetrock. But to answer the OP's question ...

"1911 or Revolver which would YOU choose and why?"

I would pick the 1911 because it's a very capable round and I get 8 or 9 of them depending on the magazine, I am totally familiar with the pistol, and shoot it as well as any other.

As was said, use what you're comfortable with and that you can operate well. Any modern cartridge .380 and larger has been shown to be effective for self-defense. Just remember that you can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight … unless you just scare the crap out of your attacker and they run.

22LR

Twelve Pointer
Can't go wrong with either choice. Truth is, what you have at that given time is going to be your only hope. Become efficient with whatever you have and your going to be better prepared.