Home Defense Handgun?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I'm a wheel gun guy. At least a .38.

Edit: Sorry, after seeing the other responses, I had to go back and re-read the post just to make sure I had understood it correctly and saw that I didn't add the "why". I enjoy playing with autos but for the reliability and ease of operation, for me, and since I was shooting revolvers long before autos were popular, they are what I am most familiar with and what I find most accurate. To each his own, but I hope I have answered your question as you asked it.

Last edited:

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
1911 or Revolver which would YOU choose and why?
All HD handguns are S&W revolvers.
If I'm suddenly woken up from a deep sleep in the middle of the night and have to take action, I don't want anything that might cause any disruption or delay ( safeties, clip feed problems, jams, etc ).
I just want to grab a good reliable double action revolver and go.
( Also have a .12ga SxS shotgun at the ready, half dozen extra shells on the buttstock)

drhunter1

Four Pointer
I really like shooting my .45 Shield but...when it comes to home defense I personally think there's nothing better than a revolver. My personal favorite is a 357. Like I told my niece and sister-in-law when they were considering one for their homes. If something happens all of a sudden in the middle of the night you don't want to have to think about the slide,safety,etc. You just want to be able to pull the trigger and it goes BOOM! Also you can't beat the dependability of a revolver. Just my opinion.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Revolvers are less prone to reliability issues than some autos.
But revolvers have jammed. I saw a Smith 442 blow the barrel off because the cylinder was out of time and didn’t lock up in the correct position. If a revolver has a problem, chances are, it will take a lot of time to remedy.
Now. I still carry a 642 frequently. But I don’t have false sense that it can’t give issue.
The low round count and the difficulty in reloading is also something to consider.
And sure, hopefully you don’t need more than 5/6 shots.
But what if you do?

1911s are cool guns. Fun to shoot. But I’ve seen a lot of 1911s give problems. More than most other automatics. High end guns and low end guns. Fact is, technology has come a long way since 1911.
There’s a reason ol John developed the High Power...?
The low round count, manual safeties, and reliability issues turn me away from 1911s for HD use. If you choose one, you must become proficient and know it well.
I’m sure some people have shot lots of ammunition through theirs and never had a hiccup, that’s great. I won’t argue that.

A full size, modern, semiautomatic pistol in 9mm is my recommendation. I’m partial to Glocks, but there are other good options out there.
And a loaded, striker fired pistol, is just as easy to pick up and fire as a revolver.

And it needs a light. Identifying your target, especially inside your home, is paramount. I can’t stress that enough.

Fact is, no handgun is a great option for home defense. They over penetrate, and don’t have very good terminal ballistics. They’re good to carry because they’re lightweight and hide easily.

A better bet is an AR platform,
Less over penetration concerns, high round count, ease of reloading, low recoil, easy to shoot accurately and much better terminal effectiveness.

That’s just my opinion; for whatever it’s worth.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
S&W Mod 66 357 with 3" bbl at the headboard and Mossberg 410 with pistol grip and 18" bbl laying beside it.

Depends on which side of the bed I'm on!!!! :devilish:

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I keep my Glock 30 (45ACP) in my nightstand and it’s become my main carry gun, but I keep my Colt Police Positive Special (38spl) in the living room. We’re renting a duplex and I’d have to be cautious so as not to shoot into our neighbors house, but on the off chance that it did happen, I believe the 38 would penetrate less and be less lethal on the other side. If I felt confident in it’s stopping ability, I’d keep a shotgun loaded with birdshot instead.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
1911s are cool guns. Fun to shoot. But I’ve seen a lot of 1911s give problems. More than most other automatics. High end guns and low end guns. Fact is, technology has come a long way since 1911.
There’s a reason ol John developed the High Power

you know why the Brits invented the "double tap"???

cause they couldn't handle a .45,,,,,,,

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If you go back to the OP it was about handgun.
Talk about a side track. ...
And......

Please fill us in on a AR that has less "penetration"

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Glock 19 with a light and an AR-15 with a light.

Very proficient with both and have put countless rounds downrange with both.

They’re what I’m comfortable with operating in high stress. And they will get the job done.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
there is a difference between what firearm a Law Enforcement Officer or a military member carries and what is appropriate for home defense,,,,

look at your house,,,,what is the FARTHEST distance you can see in your house?

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure how big your house is.....
But in mine, if I had to use the Governor or Judge, the other end of it would need to be carried by 6.....
Has nothing to do with the size of the house - it’s the effectiveness or lack thereof of the weapon/load. There are much better options.

And I wouldn’t put that much confidence in any round/weapon. A lot of factors come into play in defensive situations and many a man has toted a lot of rounds and still lived or lived long enough to keep fighting and inflict serious damage.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I guess I have sent too many rounds downrange with a 1911 and my age comes into play. I sure haven't had any issues that I would consider the three of mine less than reliable. I only have one that is used in a HD scenario an it lays on my nightstand. The safety would never come into play with it.

I have guns stashed all over the house at strategic places just in case of getting caught in different situations. If I was in bed, or in my usual roosting place prior to going to bed or if I met with someone at the door. All of that is secondary to the fact of me being in a state of undress because if I am not I am usually packing something at all times.

I'll never forget the cleaning ladies words the first time after her cleaning our house. "I have never seen so many guns in my life". LMAO and she only saw the stashed ones. ;)

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
there is a difference between what firearm a Law Enforcement Officer or a military member carries and what is appropriate for home defense,,,,

look at your house,,,,what is the FARTHEST distance you can see in your house?

Agreed. Rifles are generally best in long, linear situations. But, as you well know, in the hands of someone who is well versed in their use, they are equally effective close up and personal. G19 is my go to, but I wouldn’t sneeze at my Rifle - devastating and accurate.