Hogs in NC?

Weaklink

Button Buck
Looking for a place to hunt feral pigs. Preferably in NC, but would travel to neighboring states as well. Prefer archery, but open minded. Located in Pittsboro. Thx.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Are you looking for a guide operation or just public land with pigs? I've used a couple guides and would recommend Toole Low Grounds in Smithfield if you're looking for a guide.

Weaklink

Button Buck
Best case would be to make some new lasting friendships with like-minded people that have hog problems and form a symbiotic relationship. I'm not adverse to a guided hunt as long as it is fair chase and not shooting pigs in a small enclosed area. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look them up.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Best case would be to make some new lasting friendships with like-minded people that have hog problems and form a symbiotic relationship. I'm not adverse to a guided hunt as long as it is fair chase and not shooting pigs in a small enclosed area. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look them up.

They are fair chase and just a father and son operation. There are pigs to be found on public land around but none that I have personal experience with.

Shamrock7326

Four Pointer
Hate the thought of them inching closer to my town...... hunted them in south Florida for years....they are like a zombie PlayStation game of swarming and increasing numbers and never wanting to get eradicated

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Hate the thought of them inching closer to my town...... hunted them in south Florida for years....they are like a zombie PlayStation game of swarming and increasing numbers and never wanting to get eradicated
I've heard that we're on the brink of a Hog explosion for years, and yet...they continue to be a problem where they're a problem but they aren't rooting up Dorothea Dix Park or tearing up vegetable gardens in Cary.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
A federal hog trapper told me a couple years ago (at a hog trapping workshop in Windsor) that their mission is to limit the expansion of feral hog range in NC, but not reduce the numbers/density of hogs within current NC range. It looks to me like they are succeeding in limiting the range.

I know some public land in NC (no longer open to hunting) where Feds allowed year round hog dogging. I was told over 3 years those hog doggers killed 600-700 hogs. Based on the drastic reduction in hog sign that i observed, i am sure those hunters were successful, if not killing the hogs they at least drove the hogs elsewhere. But the hogs will likely return unless hunting pressure stays high. I managed to kill 1 hog there.

justincp3

Button Buck
I've heard that we're on the brink of a Hog explosion for years, and yet...they continue to be a problem where they're a problem but they aren't rooting up Dorothea Dix Park or tearing up vegetable gardens in Cary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
If you are willing to walk, do a bit of scouting/sleuthing, there are hogs on public land within a very reasonable drive of you. I found some last week while turkey hunting. I'm not sure how much daylight activity there is, but they were definitely there within the previous 24hrs. I also found a tagged camera from a wildlife trapper in the same area, so I am certainly not the only one that knows they are there!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Hogs can be had cheap, turn them out, give it a year and go back to hunt them.
Nothing beats free range hogs.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Back when I was in high school we did that for a lady with a bunch of chickens. They just ran all over everywhere and nested on the ground. She wanted to make a big stew and asked us to come over and shoot her a mess of chickens. Fun times. Only head sonts counted.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If you want a guide, I second Toole Low Grounds. Brandon Toole is a friend of my son-in-law. Look them up on Facebook

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just doesn’t seem like they ever exploded in NC like the “sources” have been warning for well over a decade now. Maybe the NC boys are just better hunters and keep them in check? I don’t know or maybe they just won’t get as thick further north, but that doesn’t really make sense either.

It’s defintley different down in the SC low country and the hogs are pretty thick.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They went from not here to a dang pest in about 5 years and I am not in the eastern part of the state. But if you don’t know the people you will have a pretty tough time gaining access to them.

There aren’t many places close I can’t get after them but I have contacts with the guys that dog hunt them. That goes a long way.

Shamrock7326

Four Pointer
All this rain this week will make them spread out to new areas. They are nomadic and hate rain, puddles, flooding etc. The sounders will split up and they’ll end up spreading out. Well at least this seemed to be the pattern in Florida and I’d assume the same here in N.C. in counties that have them. This rain pattern is where the hunting would see quite a boom and even push drifts near the suburbs of palm beach and broward county

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Just doesn’t seem like they ever exploded in NC like the “sources” have been warning for well over a decade now. Maybe the NC boys are just better hunters and keep them in check? I don’t know or maybe they just won’t get as thick further north, but that doesn’t really make sense either.

It’s defintley different down in the SC low country and the hogs are pretty thick.
Yep! That's it--us NC boys are just better hunters LOL. Seriously i think the limited expansion of range is due to some live trapping by (as i understand) USDA trappers, some specially-permitted (by USFWS) hog dogging and most importantly not many illegal releases by guys who want to hog dog. Still it does seem like a bit of a mystery...

Shamrock7326

Four Pointer
Yep! That's it--us NC boys are just better hunters LOL. Seriously i think the limited expansion of range is due to some live trapping by (as i understand) USDA trappers, some specially-permitted (by USFWS) hog dogging and most importantly not many illegal releases by guys who want to hog dog. Still it does seem like a bit of a mystery...
I think there’s some major truth to your post. But, these invasive SOBs won’t be held off by these techniques alone. Usually one or 2 will escape and with the 4 litters a year per pig? Just a matter of time. But hells yes NC and it hunters have crushed it so far

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Before I moved here I was told that hogs were all over the place. I’ve been hunting the Croatan for 4 years now and have never seen one except for one running across the road near Jacksonville, and only have had one trail cam photo of hogs.

20 years ago we didn't have any hogs on our property. You would never see any at the local processers either. Now we are over run with them. Its only a matter of time. If they are not in your area yet they soon will be.

berryman26

Six Pointer
20 years ago we didn't have any hogs on our property. You would never see any at the local processers either. Now we are over run with them. Its only a matter of time. If they are not in your area yet they soon will be.
But you're in Georgia right? Latitude makes a huge difference.