Hog hunting set up?

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I recently got access to some land with hogs. Never hunted them before or any night time hunting actually. I want to get an affordable set up.

Is the NAP stab light any good? I was also looking at the sniper Hog light. I assume you used a stab light and headlamp? Does anyone use a thermal monocular or is it not worth it unless you shell out dollars for a high end one? Not trying to be a pro pig killer here, just trying to get a shot at a few when I get some time.
312f1bcb2477e55e00ec8c0c93bddc65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
pits have the same issue if they don't do throat holds,,,,and ear hold will make a lone "hard dog humble",,,,

and if a pit has a throat hold ya just need to wait!
There are a bunch of hogs with no ears from "ear dogs" and if you happen to have an ear dog and you run up on them with ear dogs guess what happens? They won't catch come hell or high water. I am not a fan of ear dogs.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
LMBO! 12 posts and ain't no one helped this man out yet! Sorry Dolfan21, we're an easily distracted bunch....
OK, I'll help him. Go with thermal scope and a thermocell. And you will get one or two shots at them and they will be gone from that stand probably about a month. Get you a good game cam that texts you pics and pattern them. That will save you many a bug bitten hour, good luck.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I recently got access to some land with hogs. Never hunted them before or any night time hunting actually. I want to get an affordable set up.

Is the NAP stab light any good? I was also looking at the sniper Hog light. I assume you used a stab light and headlamp? Does anyone use a thermal monocular or is it not worth it unless you shell out dollars for a high end one? Not trying to be a pro pig killer here, just trying to get a shot at a few when I get some time.

haven't used any of those lights cause if I'm hog hunting at night it's to kill as many as I can before they get out of range,,,so my weapon is a gun,,,

tough part to me for night is my peep (compound),,,,being a one-eyed fat man I loose the animal at night through the peep,,,and a trad bow at night is tuff,,,

monocular are fun but not needed,,,,you'll likely hear them coming if they are like the hogs I hunt

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
there was a fellow down at Wahee that had some app for his phone,,,you could get fairly decent thermal imagery with it,,,,need to remember what the heck it was

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
LMBO! Woodmoose I lived in central and north FL for 37 years, fought those critters for most of it. Dogs, airboats, traps, and any other thing I could get my hands on to kill'em! Y'all can have'em!

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He is on us and he has been going for 7 pages supposedly "helping" and hasn't helped another bunch out. LMAO
Yeah, I'm done with that too! Like arguin' with my kids! To hell with it, I'm gonna hook up and go catch a mess of fish in the morning, I can still do it....

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, I'm done with that too! Like arguin' with my kids! To hell with it, I'm gonna hook up and go catch a mess of fish in the morning, I can still do it....
That is the main problem with that whole thread, the catchers and the cant's. But hasn't that always been the case? :rolleyes:

This is what I use on my 270. Works great. Nice trail cam pic I think a Quigley may be in order.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
LMBO! Woodmoose I lived in central and north FL for 37 years, fought those critters for most of it. Dogs, airboats, traps, and any other thing I could get my hands on to kill'em! Y'all can have'em!

that's why I go at them hard when they show up,,,I sure don't go out of my way to find them,,,,,

they do eat good though!!

reference Florida - well aware of your lviing there,,,,I pay attention and ain't THAT old yet that I've started forgetting what I paid attention to!!

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We trapped them, penned them, and fed them table scraps and corn for a month or so. Took most of the "wild" out of the meat. Darn good eatin'....

I used a motion activated green feeder light. Once they developed a pattern on the trail cam we set up on em with weapon mounted lights. Waited til they were good and comfy then shot the biggest sow, flicked the weapon lights on, and went after the rest.

The Texas heart shot is quite effective if you ain't too worried about saving all the meat.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
OK, I'll help him. Go with thermal scope and a thermocell. And you will get one or two shots at them and they will be gone from that stand probably about a month. Get you a good game cam that texts you pics and pattern them. That will save you many a bug bitten hour, good luck.

In only using a bow. Don’t know why - just because I guess. Another guy we are leasing with shot 3 the other night on the ground with a thermal scope but they might be out of my price range anyway. We do have 7 cell cams on the property and have them patterned fairly well I guess. Keep hitting the same three feeders in a semi consistent loop. Good thing is that with so many cameras if i am sitting where they ain’t- I don’t think it will be long before they show up on another camera and I can just move that way. At least that’s the way it plays out in the movie. [emoji23]. In fact I start getting pic notifications in about an hour. Lol. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good luck archery hunting them. I hate them too much for that. I want to kill as many as I can at a time. If not thermal I would set up a stand at about 30 yds and use kill lights and use buckshot and shoot them in the head. That is quite effective also.