Hike in dog stand

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Sharing my set up for hiking in on public land duck hunts with the ability to bring the dog.
I know a lot of guys will do this similar set up for deer.
My main goal here was to avoid the misery of carrying in an ill fitting bag of decoys banging around and a way to bring in a stand for the dog so I don’t have to wade through the swamp. I truly despise that duck hunting has become a get there at midnight fight for your spot kinda deal so I avoid that as much as I can by trying to go further in. Some spots are over a mile in and as any duck hunter knows we typically have a lot of gear so here’s my solution.

This is a summit foldable climber bottom. A sheet of thick abs plastic is screwed to the top with a sheet of seadek on top of that. The straps are off eBay, molle II shoulder and waist. The shoulder straps attach via slots cut into the plastic and the waist strap attaches to the frame of the stand.
Getting the torso length right is critical to being able to transfer the weight to the hip belt. Once it’s set you have a solid pack frame that’s comfortable to carry some weight.
In the pic I have 9 decoys, some magnums and some standard, jerk string and my waders in the decoy bag ratchet strapped to the stand. I will likely add my strap of shells and jacket before I leave. 6C0CE55F-4B43-499C-AD1C-40375B9CAEF4.jpeg307D3412-76B8-4C2C-9277-D8F4DA245103.jpeg9A94D7E0-9C69-4434-9863-8471816F5517.jpeg
I will hike in with regular boots then change. The ratchet strap is used to secure the stand to the tree.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for sharing. For Christmas I got a fancy decoy bag that has legit backpack straps. I can put 15 decoys, my bucket with jerk rig and shells, and backpack in it. Heavy, but a sight better than schlepping a $12 decoy bag in.

I like your idea for longer hikes in better. It looks like it would hang up on thorns less.

Well, consider your idea officially stolen, lol. This is a great idea and I'll probably be looking at doing something like it. I like to hike in pretty deep to get away from everyone myself, so this is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing it.