High Rock Lake

jparsons14

Four Pointer
First year duck hunter. Looking for something to fill the void between deer and turkey season. My novice duck hunting buddies and I have been hunting the upper portion of high rock lake with very little luck. I’d say we’ve been 5-6 times and killed 2 wood ducks at first light. We aren’t really even seeing many birds but that seems to be everyone’s story this year. We usually run 2 dozen decoys with a jerk cord and keep the calling to quiet chuckles and single quacks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
find a place you can legally access with ducks, (ie, a private swamp) - about 8 mallard decoys and about 5 wood duck decoys is adequate. a wonder duck if you have one. set up so ducks will come into the wind. Hide really good. Don't take people with you. find a good partner that you trust. do not post pictures on social media. Make sure you can shoot well. go to a sporting clay range frequently. don't take people with you or tell them where you killed ducks.

Calling to wood ducks is a futile thing unless you are really good at it. Only call to mallards when they are going away from you or circling behind you or to the side. do not call loudly or frequently. use 5 note lonesome hen calls , and a feeding call with a single quack mixed in. A feeing call in NC swamps is a few tika tika hits. (practice a lot - your quacks come from your gut and are sharply cut off.) the other stuff is not natural here. don't take people with you or tell them where you kill ducks.

do not, over shoot your places. let them rest 4 or 5 days between hunts. oh, did I say don't take people with you and don't tell people where you kill ducks.

JD1107

My in-laws recently moved to high rock within the past two years. My wife and I rotate between my family and hers for the holidays and I always kick myself for not bringing the boat or at least the creekboat due to all the shooting I hear every morning. Then I remember all the posts from here and several other ducks site and node back off to sleep because I know 90% of those shots are coming from folks pass shooting wood ducks and sky blasting the closest duck they see. It’s a shame because that lake has potential, but MOST the people who hunt it are idiots. I’ve gotten used to enjoying the evenings sitting on the dock with beer in hand watching the birds fly into their roosts instead of dealing with the headaches from hunting public N.C. lakes.

Last edited:

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
You picked a terrible year to start duck hunting, especially public land. I'll second everything Hydemarsh said. Also I agree with start networking and find some private land, and I would definitely start looking into some guided hunts. Not a guarantee but you'll learn more in one trip than 5 seasons of doing it on your own, but start looking now the good ones fill up quick.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I will also echo what Hydemarsh said. There are no "secret" holes on public land. Work and scout hard. You can find ducks, well maybe not this season, but it takes a lot of scouting. The places with birds that are not being "shot to death" are extremely hard to access. And above all else, enjoy the spot, but do not tell anyone about it. Even if it is private and you gain access through permission or lease, keep it to yourself and very closest friends. Good duck holes will bring out the worse in many people. Even ones you think you can trust.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I will also echo what Hydemarsh said. There are no "secret" holes on public land. Work and scout hard. You can find ducks, well maybe not this season, but it takes a lot of scouting. The places with birds that are not being "shot to death" are extremely hard to access. And above all else, enjoy the spot, but do not tell anyone about it. Even if it is private and you gain access through permission or lease, keep it to yourself and very closest friends. Good duck holes will bring out the worse in many people. Even ones you think you can trust.
And even if you get to where you intend to walk in from, don't see any cars around, don't be shocked if you show up to head lights in your spot.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Some great advice here....good duck holes are hard to come by. When you find one treasure it because it wont last forever. Especially on public. Can't hide the sound of volleys....sometimes (not that often) ducks can be found right under your nose. Had a public spot right beside the highway(small, overlooked) that was one of the best black duck holes I've ever seen. We probably killed 40-50 in there in a 10 year span. Now theres people there right regular and the blacks have moved on. One of my best private holes is under development right now....location is key. If you aren't seeing ducks scout for a new spot. Can't kill what's not there. When scouting birds try not to disturb them and be back where you saw them the next day

kahunter

Eight Pointer
spend some time in february scouting. usually a decent amount of birds around to find and there isnt much to do in february.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
It’s probably been said but you and your “buddies” have to be totally silent on where you’re hunting. Instagram, Facebook, and other type of sites will be your downfall if divulging such places no matter how innocent your comments and/or pictures might be. Don’t get me wrong, it’s ok to share your “success” but just make sure you are extremely prudent when doing so. Old adage “loose lips sinks ships” is even more true today ....

Gus

Six Pointer
Truthfully you'd be better off hunting dove, squirrel or rabbit if you're just looking for something to do after deer season. These days killin ducks is hard, even for folks who work at it year round and live in the better areas. The January orange hat crowd around my area kill very few ducks-although they do manage to do a fair job of frequently killing serious hunter's chances.

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Truthfully you'd be better off hunting dove, squirrel or rabbit if you're just looking for something to do after deer season. These days killin ducks is hard, even for folks who work at it year round and live in the better areas. The January orange hat crowd around my area kill very few ducks-although they do manage to do a fair job of frequently killing serious hunter's chances.
That's fine advice. Sometimes I think about taking up small game myself.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
If you take pictures to share, do not do it showing treelines near your spot, the parking lot at a boat ramp, or anywhere on the water that shows any buildings, bridges or landmarks in the distance. Other people that frequent the waterways will know exactly where you are at.

jparsons14

Four Pointer
Thanks for the advice everyone. I imagine finding a duck hole will be as hard or harder than finding a good deer lease. May pack it in and go to Arkansas next year. Still nice getting out on the water and watching the sun rise. Went dove hunting this past Saturday and they were flying good! Very aware of the “don’t share the background” advice. Do a lot of flying fishing so learned that lesson several years back. Fingers crossed this cool weather pushes some birds down. May try out Norman Saturday.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
It is 100 times harder to be kill a duck on public land in NC vs. killing a deer on public in NC. At least this year!!!!
I agree dave, Public land is so tough. Now that Hyde county is moving forward with restrictions on public water the counties that usually hold significant waterfowl populations will be off limits to most of us.
In response to the original question, it is not impossible to find a private swamp, keep looking. if you find one, DO NOT TELL ANYONE but your hunting partner. Duck hunting brings out the worst in people - accept the fact that you cannot tell anyone or it will be gone in the "blink of a young girl's eye".

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
I forgot to say that if you are thinking of going to Arkansas you might want to reconsider. If you like spending time and money with no results it might be the place for you. If you want to kill ducks consider that Louisanna got mad at Arkansas because they were short stopping ducks. Then Arkansas got mad at Missouri for short stopping "their" ducks . Now Missouri is mad at Kansas for short stopping "their" ducks. You might want to consider a trip to Kansas or Nebraska - word of caution, really research who you are going with - some "duck guides" are not honest.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
The Hyde County Blind committee did not meet for a while after the hurricane. The recommendation as I understood it in Sept seemed fair and did not violate the NC Public Trust doctrine. However in the ensuing 4 months a couple of members lobbied to change the recommendations. I think the final recommendation was voted on January 15th. I don't recall a public notice for that meeting and as I understand no one from the public was in attendance. (the only meeting I missed)

I think the recommendation will be for a limit of 100 float blinds. a 300 yard restriction from an occupied blind.
Not sure if it is still pertinent, but I think there is a prohibition on pole blinds in public water.

Quite frankly this year I did not see enough people hunting the sound in Hyde County to matter.

I find it sad that a few very small people want to control your and my rights.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
I forgot to say that if you are thinking of going to Arkansas you might want to reconsider. If you like spending time and money with no results it might be the place for you. If you want to kill ducks consider that Louisanna got mad at Arkansas because they were short stopping ducks. Then Arkansas got mad at Missouri for short stopping "their" ducks . Now Missouri is mad at Kansas for short stopping "their" ducks. You might want to consider a trip to Kansas or Nebraska - word of caution, really research who you are going with - some "duck guides" are not honest.
You could say that about Arkansas last year anywhere in the state, but it was much different this year. We kept birds on our farm all year and had some great public land hunts as well. It shifts from year to year but there’s still good hunts to be had.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Thanks for the advice everyone. I imagine finding a duck hole will be as hard or harder than finding a good deer lease. May pack it in and go to Arkansas next year. Still nice getting out on the water and watching the sun rise. Went dove hunting this past Saturday and they were flying good! Very aware of the “don’t share the background” advice. Do a lot of flying fishing so learned that lesson several years back. Fingers crossed this cool weather pushes some birds down. May try out Norman Saturday.
Arkansas will disappoint you. Best chance is Kansas and north or north Texas/southern Oklahoma (not many mallards but lots of wigeon, gadwall, teal)

jparsons14

Four Pointer
Went in December. Sure did disappoint. The only better advice you could have gave would have been stick to deer hunting 😅