High(er) end lite/ultralight reels.

KennyZeDevilDog

Eight Pointer
Funny, last night before I was going to bed I was pondering this same question. Figured I'd get a 5'6 ultralight set up for popping some random streams on walks and, God willing, getting my little one some rod time this year.

The best place I've found to find some differing set ups of higher quality is the YouTube channel ExtremePhillyFishing. The gentleman always puts his setup in the description of his videos. He's really big on all species fishing and an entertainer who I trust.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Well then. I guess I’ve been having trouble finding just the right setup(s) because no one does it my way? I snagged an Okuma inspira on the cheap. I have a 30 and it’s superb, and since they have small spools, the 10 should fit the bill well.
I’ve got three Okuma Stratus reels. Work fine but they’re a little sluggish in the cold.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It seems on newer reels, they take a lot more “care” than older models. I think they may be smoother these days.....but the days of never worrying about it seem to be over. Seems none that I have handled stay “new” feeling for long.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
diawa tournament ss is a fantastic reel. I have one I use for saltwater. casts a mile and have never had any issues.
But I have a couple okuma combos that are also great and I've got 10 years or so on one.
not a pflueger fan, but could have been the model I bought. not sure what it was, but it crapped out quick.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Honest question! Maybe Im just not that good of a fisherman But do you really find the reel to help you catch more fish or do you just like the way it feels better? My experience is the same as real estate location, location, location. Rod and reel make very little difference. I go to the same spots that I have caught fish previously and keep catching them in the same spots.
As far as reels, in a vacuum, no it likely won't help you catch more fish. But there is usually less aggravation/tangles/etc on better reels. Drags are nicer, hooksets easier. Now, with big fish/big baits things change a little bit. But panfish, no.

Rods? Depends on what/how your fishing.

Aaron871

Four Pointer
I’m a fan of the Sahara, but if ya really want something nice get the Stradic. (If your fishing salt go straight to the Stradic imo…..)

Those pflueger’s are good for a season with me but after that I have to replace um…..

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Just trying to have my cake and eat it too. May have more time for fishing, and impart new action to my lures (tremors). Hoping to get my fat ___ pedaling the kayak more too.

I’ve got a decent representation from most of the major players. Daiwa took up the 75 size and I have one, lews 75s are my go to but aren’t without issue. I have an Okuma avenger that’s reliably unimpressive. An old Mitchell avocet (some number) gold that is great but no luck with the recent stuff. Don’t know if I currently have a shimano. Pfleuger has been good especially the president xt, but I’m not trying to spend that.

a free higher end rod hot this started. I used an old Okuma inspira I have the other day and remembered why I liked it, so I snagged one of them. The older model and off eBay so I came out like a bandit. Just was trying to make sure I didn’t over look a great reel. Wanting good stuff on the cheap, it pays to have a broad knowledge so you can keep your eyes open for a deal.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Find yourself an old Mitchell 308. They're durable, reliable enough, and have good line capacity. I caught a 14 pound striper up on Buggs on 6 pound test on a #5 ShadRap with a 308 on a 5'5" UL rod when I was pulling for white bass & crappie. It is my full time UL truck rod & it goes where I go.
No telling how many trout and panfish I've caught on that combo. Lots & lots...

Caught truckloads of hybrids when they were in Jordan on light tackle just for sport. Talk about fun!!

I have a few Stradic and one Spirex reels that do most of the heavy lifting for me these days. They are outstanding reels and perform flawlessly. I bought 7 Zero Gravity rods back in the 90's, but they were discontinued fast because they were too fragile. They sure were fun to fish with though. I switched to St. Croix rods and they aren't cheap, but they're high quality and they fish great! You can also get replacement tips from the factory fast...don't ask me how I found that out.

Jim

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I’ve got one…. I kept it thinking I’d find me a vintage rod (hopefully mustard yellow or some other dated color) for it. I won’t use it though. You want it?
I appreciate the offer, but I don't hardly have the time to use what fishing tackle I've got. I know there's some here who would love to put it back in service. Do a pick a number giveaway or something. I'll even pay shipping.

My wife asked me how many rods & reels I had last month. I admitted to 25, but the number is somewhere between 40-45. She sees it as an addiction, I see it as needing to have the right rod to match conditions/species. All I had to do was bring up how much she spends on her horse and the argument ended.

I used to catch flounder, trout, & drum on a 308 and a yellow eagle claw rod on 1/4 oz. Mann's stingray grubs by the old coast guard station by Oregon Inlet back in the day. Good times.

Jim

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I appreciate the offer, but I don't hardly have the time to use what fishing tackle I've got. I know there's some here who would love to put it back in service. Do a pick a number giveaway or something. I'll even pay shipping.

My wife asked me how many rods & reels I had last month. I admitted to 25, but the number is somewhere between 40-45. She sees it as an addiction, I see it as needing to have the right rod to match conditions/species. All I had to do was bring up how much she spends on her horse and the argument ended.

I used to catch flounder, trout, & drum on a 308 and a yellow eagle claw rod on 1/4 oz. Mann's stingray grubs by the old coast guard station by Oregon Inlet back in the day. Good times.

Jim
you can never have too many rods and reels......I am getting close to a hundred. 2 rooms full and a little building.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I also have and still use a Mitchell 308...It was given to me by my wife's aunt, who's husband and I had many good conversations for 30+ years about fishing Currituck and the Chowan...He was a tail gunner during the War, over Japan...After he passed, she insisted that I take his fishing stuff...It was like a museum to me, all of my old favorite lures were in his tackle box, some still in their original packaging...I put new line on the Mitchell, found a 6 ft ultralight and of course have used it, and let my grandkids use it each year since...It still works...This picture is from somewhere up the North River in eastern North Carolina... :)

Attachments

• IMG_4977.JPG
    IMG_4977.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 5

Matty

Six Pointer
Contributor
I'm a huge fan of Daiwa Spinning reels.

L/UL (500/1000) - I have (in $-$$ order) Revros, Legalis, Fuego...and an older 500 size reel that I cannot think of the model. All have been great.
M (2000-3000) - Daiwa BG (I have 6 or so) - Possibly the best reel for the $. Does double duty between drop shot/FW finesse applications and light SW.

Another great option for a 500 size reel that is light enough to balance some of the lighter UL rods is the Piscifun Carbon X 500. I have one and really like it. I have 8 casting reels (baitcasting and round trolling reels) from them and they have been great. I like their phantom baitcasters as much or more than my Shimano SLXs with bearing upgrades.

Hard to go wrong with a Pfleuger as well.

My favorite budget UL rods ($60ish) are the Daiwa Presso series in 7' to 7'6" for most applications. I hate really short UL rods. THey also have travel versions. I have one in 6'6" that breaks down and goes into my backpack.

For around $90-100 I like the Temple Fork rods. They used to have a panfish/trout series that was awesome, it may still be sold. I have one in 7' from them. I like them better than the lower priced St Croix.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
piscifun? Not even on my radar… figured they’d be like kastking. x10 on the temple fork rods. That could be my next or maybe another short falcon bucoo. Been wearing them things out! Only broke one but I was asking for it. Was using it pulling my kayak over to the brush to get in hung. 5’6” falcon bucoo and 4lb stren. The rod gave first, but that was due to the angle.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I hear it from my wife all the time that my stuff takes up too much room.

mine as well,,, she wants me to finally build the building I've been "looking in to" for a while so that I can get ALL my "crap" out of the house,,, especially the powder,,, she don't like "gun powder and gun oil" smells,,,,,,,, on the move to make it happen now

Last edited:

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
finally got my rods up on a couple rod holders I built a couple weeks ago. Then I started cleaning out my storage unit. I need more rod racks...😬

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Y’all’s wives would kill me then. Our house is basically my own sporting goods store with a kitchen.

naa,,, my wife puts up with way more than most would realize,,, so I can't complain as I am in a great relationship

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I counted rods with reels today and found 45 scattered around the house, in vehicles, & boats. Found a few bream busters that were missing too. I'd likely be better off measuring lures by the pound. I worked at a tackle shop in Pittsboro and Sports Unlimited in Raleigh and I used every bit of my employee discount at both. I 've gotten BPS & Cabela's gift cards on holidays for decades. So, I have more than a little bit of tackle and not enough time to use it all. I mostly buy ammo, camo, terminal tackle these days.

My wife's horse showing addiction makes my hobbies look like a booger. Everything horses do costs money. There's a whole lot of days that I'd rather have her riding his ass than mine though. He is totally worth the money.

Jim

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
after reading some of these numbers put up, I started counting. got to 20 in my shop. I smiled until I remembered the majority of my salt gear is in Delaware.😬😬😬
adds up quick...😂