High(er) end lite/ultralight reels.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Surely some of you miscreants like better stuff than Walmart specials. For those of you who take pan fishing seriously, what’s your preferred spinning reel for casting? I was given a new daiwa Procyon ultralight 6’ and it needs a good companion. Been using the 75 size lews laser light speed for others and while it’s great for the price I’d like to step up a little. This will be a crappie and perch rod. Smooth drag is a must, long cast is great too. For 4lb mono fwiw.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Shimano Sahara
Daiwa Regal
Pflueger Presidential (gold standard of panfish reels)

that said, I don’t spend much on them anymore. I’ve got all of the above but I just need something that balances a rod and holds line. Only time I care about drag is if I get hung on the rare occasion I troll anymore and I use the dirt cheap shimano rear drags for those. Barring the odd chance at a 3lb+ crappie, if I hook into something that pulls drag, I’d just as soon break it off and retie. I don’t like wasting time on catfish/stripers/hybrids/gar.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I like the idea of a president xt but it’s spendy. I do quite often get into white bass and hybrids that make drag sing! I don’t mind that at all.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I like the Diawa Regal LT, the 1000 series for panfish...The President's spool is pretty small (narrow)... I do like the President in the 25x model for bass and inshore fishing...Both can be had for $60...

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Im a fan of the pfluegers. The $59 presidente is fantastic. The supremes are worth it for the weight and balance if your casting a lot but not needed.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Interesting daiwa. It’s a great size! I like a bit more than the 100-110 yds on the small size(s).
that daiwa will out cast any of the mentioned reels as well with the same line and same rod. The long cast spool lays out the line better for casting. if you compare it side by side with a regular reel that spool is a lot longer and a little shallower.

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
I am a fan of the Pflueger President for the money is hard to beat. They are smooth, and balanced. My grandson got one pulled into the pond by a turtle while his head was turned. I dragged for it over and over and could not find it. Well after a year he hung it and pulled it in. I dripped it in the water a few times and started fishing with it. Smooth as silk, been using it ever since. I use 4 lb line and smallmouth fish with it also. Good reel for the money

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
Lews Mach 1. Switched to lews 2-3 years ago and can’t beat their customer service. Also if looking into rods go with an acc you won’t be disappointed.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Lews Mach 1. Switched to lews 2-3 years ago and can’t beat their customer service. Also if looking into rods go with an acc you won’t be disappointed.
I’ve got a Lews on an ACC. Think I’m up to 5 ACCs and more on the way. Didn’t mention the Lews because I couldn’t remember which one it was, it was a gift. Love the ACC rods. @woodmoose has fished with me and used them and can attest to their excellence as well.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
I’ve got a Lews on an ACC. Think I’m up to 5 ACCs and more on the way. Didn’t mention the Lews because I couldn’t remember which one it was, it was a gift. Love the ACC rods. @woodmoose has fished with me and used them and can attest to their excellence as well.
Had a 10m last year and just bought the 12 crossover super grip. Only used it once so far but will be looking into a smaller casting one before the spawn as well. They’re super sensitive rods with great backbone. Can flip the 2lbers with ease.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Had a 10m last year and just bought the 12 crossover super grip. Only used it once so far but will be looking into a smaller casting one before the spawn as well. They’re super sensitive rods with great backbone. Can flip the 2lbers with ease.
I’ve got a 6’, 8’, two 11’ supergrip rear and a 13’ supergrip cross over. Had a 12’ crossover but sold it before I could appreciate the style. The 11’ is my favorite but the 13’ has its place.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

they are fine fine reals,,, and rods (hint hint if you ever want to sell one (y) )

I guess I dont take it seriously. I use a Zebco 33 and catch plenty. If you find the fish and have the right bait you can hand line them in the boat. Reel brand and price is irrelevant you just want it to last. Ive had this Zebco a long time. I second the Pflueger President for a spinning reel though. Best reel for a reasonable price IMO.

Last edited:

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I guess I dont take it seriously. I use a Zebco 33 and catch plenty. If you find the fish and have the right bait you can hand line them in the boat. Reel brand and price is irrelevant you just want it to last. Ive had this Zebco a long time. I second the Pflueger President for a spinning reel though. Best reel for a reasonable price IMO.

What is a long time???

I have 3 Zebco Cardinal 4s that I bought in the '70s, still use them... :)

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Shimano Sahara
Daiwa Regal
Pflueger Presidential (gold standard of panfish reels)

that said, I don’t spend much on them anymore. I’ve got all of the above but I just need something that balances a rod and holds line. Only time I care about drag is if I get hung on the rare occasion I troll anymore and I use the dirt cheap shimano rear drags for those. Barring the odd chance at a 3lb+ crappie, if I hook into something that pulls drag, I’d just as soon break it off and retie. I don’t like wasting time on catfish/stripers/hybrids/gar.
I don't fish as much as I used to, but anymore I prefer to spend money on a quality rod, and I don't see anything wrong with spending 2x on the rod for most freshwater applications. If you're trolling for salmon or fishing for something that's going to really pull that's different.

On a side note, has anyone used the Sougayilang spinning reels from Amazon? Anymore I'm less interested in padding the pocket of a middleman like Daiwa or Shimano if the factory has a house label themselves.

la angler

Six Pointer
What is a long time???

I have 3 Zebco Cardinal 4s that I bought in the '70s, still use them... :)
I too have a couple cardinal 4's bought late 70s early 80s still going lifes to short for me to fish a slow zebco 33 but that's me just enjoy fishing

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I think I’m over the age limit for a 33. I’ve always been the one to maximize my money, mostly because I’m broke. But I like the good stuff so I research products to no end. That’s a little of my crazy showing too. Been loving the lews laser lites in the 75 size at about 140yds of 4lb. But I used an Okuma inspira the other day and now I’ve been looking at better. The presidents small spool is a no go. Their 25 size =100/1000 size and that’s okay but still a small diameter and leads to memory. The president xt was nicer but the same problem. The higher tier offerings are usually a 1000 size reel, but it’s a small bass type reel with a high ratio.

I think I’m over the age limit for a 33. I’ve always been the one to maximize my money, mostly because I’m broke. But I like the good stuff so I research products to no end. That’s a little of my crazy showing too. Been loving the lews laser lites in the 75 size at about 140yds of 4lb. But I used an Okuma inspira the other day and now I’ve been looking at better. The presidents small spool is a no go. Their 25 size =100/1000 size and that’s okay but still a small diameter and leads to memory. The president xt was nicer but the same problem. The higher tier offerings are usually a 1000 size reel, but it’s a small bass type reel with a high ratio.
Honest question! Maybe Im just not that good of a fisherman But do you really find the reel to help you catch more fish or do you just like the way it feels better? My experience is the same as real estate location, location, location. Rod and reel make very little difference. I go to the same spots that I have caught fish previously and keep catching them in the same spots.

Last edited:

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Honest question! Maybe Im just not that good of a fisherman But do you really find the reel to help you catch more fish or do you just like the way it feels better?
Fish that want to bite no, but fish that don't want to bite yes the rod and reel help in presentation of the bait

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Certainly helps with presentation as stated. Casting distance and sensitivity. Hook sets too. As with anything there is a rate of diminishing return. For me it’s mostly about comfort for long periods and casting distance. An ol 33 has two drag settings, on and off lol and if you like light line, forget it. Casting 1/32 jigs as far as you can takes an open face reel too.

Certainly helps with presentation as stated. Casting distance and sensitivity. Hook sets too. As with anything there is a rate of diminishing return. For me it’s mostly about comfort for long periods and casting distance. An ol 33 has two drag settings, on and off lol and if you like light line, forget it. Casting 1/32 jigs as far as you can takes an open face reel too.
Mono stretches ! Never had a panfish break my line. Ever! Had em pull drag but never broke line.

Last edited:

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
I have but it’s a big fish and in heavy cover. I use it a lot for white bass too and they’ll take some drag on ultralights! Especially in river current. Get into perch doubles, and stripers/hybrids often. And always the random stuff from bass to cats and carp.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I caught this 8 1/2 pound striper on Badin last year on a crappie jig, 6 pound mono, a 5 1/2 foot micro Shakespeare rod I bought at WalMart for $20 and the little Diawa LT I mentioned earlier...It took several minutes and several trips around the boat before I could net him...Having a good drag was the key...A closed faced reel has 2 distinct disadvantages, line capacity and a terrible drag...With an open faced, you can cup your hand around the spool to increase drag if you like and you can also feather a lure into the water with your index finger for more casting accuracy... IMG_9219.jpg

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
This post got me looking... I have 5 older Shimano open spin, 3 spirex and two sidestab rear drags with the 'trigger'. By the look of prices for new or used Spirex you'd think there must be gold inside ! I'm having thoughts of cashing in and buying new. Always been happy with them , like 25 years happy. also have one for spare parts.
On the line # s , I vertical jigged just as many crappie with my 8# line, 10# flouro leader, 1/4oz. jig with a tail and a minnow as my other pole rigged with 6# line with 1/8 jig or plain hook with minnow.... maybe they were just hungry . Like hawkeye, I do catch the occasional big fish also, i hate being under gunned because you never know what may show up.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Well then. I guess I’ve been having trouble finding just the right setup(s) because no one does it my way? I snagged an Okuma inspira on the cheap. I have a 30 and it’s superb, and since they have small spools, the 10 should fit the bill well.