Hey older "IPhone" users, how's your life lately?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
HAHAHAHAHA

WTH is Apple doing? FORCING their own users to spend $ to keep current?

I'll never forget the day I threw my one and only Iphone across the room, and 2 hours later bought a NON Iphone! I bet it'll be a LONG line nowadays!

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Sales go down,they got to find a gimmick.I need to get off of them myself,seems like every update causes more issues than it fixes.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I don't know,,,,I ditched my iphone 3 in May and got an 8 -

a Dentist friend here at the hunt had an Iphone 5 that quit working this weekend keep telling him to setup the phone but wouldn't /couldn't hit the server - typical iphone garbage

folks using 2G had to upgrade anyhow a short while ago

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
HAHAHAHAHA

WTH is Apple doing? FORCING their own users to spend $ to keep current?

I'll never forget the day I threw my one and only Iphone across the room, and 2 hours later bought a NON Iphone! I bet it'll be a LONG line nowadays!

since I try to HELP and not tease,,,,here's the link

if you have an I-phone5 or earlier, or an early ipad and didn't update by 3 Nov your SOL, or pay for assistance (I guess)

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Funny you mention it. My 6s went from 97% at 5:50 am when I climbed in my stand to 1% when I checked my phone at 8:30 am. It usually lasts most of the day on a charge. WTH!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Never willingly owned an i-product. Last Apple product I owned was an Apple 2c back in the 80s. Don't see any of that changing.

I own one for one reason - wife likes them and it makes it convenient to keep things lined up - I could care less one way or the other, they all do what I need

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
My 7 quit working 2 days ago and apple has been horrible. I have to mail it in for them to change a part so it will update.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a 6s. No issues here, so far. Only reason I have it is because when my old flip phone wore out, I wanted the smallest smart phone I could find for a replacement. The 6s was the smallest my cell company had to offer.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My old 4S has been laying around plugged in for a few years since I upgraded to a 6Plus a few years ago. It no longer has Verizon active on it but still works out through my WiFi network in the house to the Internet.

Seeing this thread, out of curiosity I went and turned it on...said updates were waiting, downloaded and installed up to iOS 9.3.6 OK...and said it was up to date so I assume that’s the highest the old 4S will take.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Funny you mention it. My 6s went from 97% at 5:50 am when I climbed in my stand to 1% when I checked my phone at 8:30 am. It usually lasts most of the day on a charge. WTH!

My 6S has been draining battery just in the past week. I try to avoid performing the updates for as long as possible because it seems like they cause problems. I finally updated last week, and whatever was in that update is draining the battery I believe.

I like Apple, and we have quite a few Apple products, but the one thing that really burns me up is them making old products/software obsolete. I've spent thousands of dollars with Apple, and IMO they make excellent products, but if I paid for it, I expect to be able to use it for the life of the product. Not until Apple decides that I should upgrade.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You guys think Apple is bad about making things obsolete. Buy a couple thousand dollars worth of tracking equipment and just 3-4 years have Garmin say "oh, we are no longer going to support that that product or provide updates for it." Being a GPS based product that means bend over and grab your heels. They at this time are still functioning but their days are numbered.

They did the same thing with TriTronics stuff shortly after they bought them out.

Wv67

Ten Pointer
Don’t know what mine is , if it fails it fails , I’m 52 and will be the first to say I don’t have to have a cell phone , I don’t carry mine every where I go and it sure the heck don’t go in a stand with me , it’s a phone that’s all It is to me

Mechanic Bob

Eight Pointer
I still have a 6 and going strong. I did buy and change my battery a year or so ago. Bought the battery off from Amazon.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
It’s the cold IPhone will die when the temperature is below about forty. I have a Mophie charging case for mine that will trickle charge and keep it at 100% all day. But, if cold temperatures crash it too fast the Mophie won’t bring it back.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I once bought an $8K Cat 6A certifier after looking at multiple models. 6 months after I purchased it, they quite servicing them :mad:. I wanted to ring that salesman's neck! Fluke testers also "discontinue" models after only a few short years......BUT, they offer you a small $ of return if you turn yours in and buy a now double costing "new" model.

It's all a scam if you ask me.

The apple user's affected by this that I know are mostly parents who gave their older iphones to their youngins to keep up with them via texting etc. For about a week now, even at 100%, any time they text or call, it immedately shows the battery as 1%, then powers off, then they plug it in for 2 seconds, and can use it again, to send one text, then repeat.

gmiller

Eight Pointer
Upgraded from a 5 to an 11 last week. I didn’t know about this. My phone worked fine but it started giving a message no SIM card installed and was having the battery issues . The phone would show 10% and as soon as I put it on charge it would 50%. Glad I upgraded now

Clark

Ten Pointer
6s here, upgraded to IOS 13 a few weeks ago. After multiple attempts had to reset the phone after the upgrade. Took 6 hours of my time and 2.5 hours on the phone with Apple support to recover most of the lost data. The cost to Apple to baby sit every iPhone upgrade must be enormous.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
6s here, upgraded to IOS 13 a few weeks ago. After multiple attempts had to reset the phone after the upgrade. Took 6 hours of my time and 2.5 hours on the phone with Apple support to recover most of the lost data. The cost to Apple to baby sit every iPhone upgrade must be enormous.
Clark, just an FYI...
ITunes is free and if you put it on your PC, you can back your iPhone up to it completely...100% mirror image in 2 minutes.
I back mine up every week, and always right before installing some upgrade...can completely restore the phone in minutes if you need to.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
iPhone 7+ here and I love it. I install every new upgrade as soon as available and never had a problem. The safety of being able to reach 911 or a friend if needed while hunting or fishing is worth a lot to me.

nckeith

Ten Pointer
So serious question. How long should they support a product. Forever? One more year and then you wouldn’t be mad?
People talking about this have very old phones. Yet supporting an old product eventually costs a company way more money. Not to mention, security and apps start to not work either. I get 3 years max out of most consumer electronics, then they go off to be recycled. I did have an iMac that lasted 11 years. I’ve got a microsoft surface laptop now. It’s a disposable business model. These are not heirloom quality devices meant to be passed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk