Hey older "IPhone" users, how's your life lately?

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It’s the cold IPhone will die when the temperature is below about forty. I have a Mophie charging case for mine that will trickle charge and keep it at 100% all day. But, if cold temperatures crash it too fast the Mophie won’t bring it back.

I’m out in Kansas this week and today the wind chill hovered around 0. Even in my front pants pocket my phone went from 100 to dead in about 10 mins

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
So serious question. How long should they support a product. Forever? One more year and then you wouldn’t be mad?
People talking about this have very old phones. Yet supporting an old product eventually costs a company way more money. Not to mention, security and apps start to not work either. I get 3 years max out of most consumer electronics, then they go off to be recycled. I did have an iMac that lasted 11 years. I’ve got a microsoft surface laptop now. It’s a disposable business model. These are not heirloom quality devices meant to be passed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A MOST excellent question and point. At some point, ANY item in the tech world becomes more costly to keep "service" than to make "obsolete". BUt how much would it cost or take to keep the cell phone and texting abilities of older phones available? I honestly don't know. Maybe the security risks aren't worth the reward?

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Stuff cracks me up

The modern tech version of ford chevy dodge

Everybody thinks their choice is the only right choice

No, it's not. It like Tipmoose once posted a Meme. An apple product is a tricycle. A NON apple product is a Harley Davidson. Facts are facts. Apple is great if you want to sync with other family's members products. God Forbid you want to include yourself in the modern tech day to day activities.

How did "apple pay" do today? ;)

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No, it's not. It like Tipmoose once posted a Meme. An apple product is a tricycle. A NON apple product is a Harley Davidson. Facts are facts. Apple is great if you want to sync with other family's members products. God Forbid you want to include yourself in the modern tech day to day activities.

I am guessing a little better than Samsung pay did. LOL

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Yes it is - computer is a computer for 98% of the “tech world”

Exactly - synch with other family members products - why i use same product as my wife

Couldn't tell you on apple pay,,,dont use it dont care what happens with it

I use a phone for the same things i use my non- apple computer, nothing more nothing less

Plus,,,they are a might more cyber secure

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just an FYI...reading through this thread, I've been surprised at the degree of negative feelings towards iPhones.
When my wife and I got started with smartphones several years ago now, it seemed like the main brand talked about at the time was the Apple iPhone...so we started with them, and can honestly say we haven't had any sort of complaint with them.
But...we don't have any first hand knowledge about other brands.

FWIW, a quick Internet search just now of the top 10 brands of smartphones pops up this list:

1st Place : Samsung
2nd Place : Apple
3rd Place : Huawei
4th Place : Oppo
5th Place : Vivo
6th Place : Xiaomi
7th Place : LG
8th Place : Lenovo
9th Place : ZTE
10th Place : Alcatel-Lucent

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use whatever AT&T gives me for free......right now a 6s refurb.....and I am having the battery issues too! Ordered another as replacement.....it cuts off randomly.......now got to order another.....

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
So serious question. How long should they support a product. Forever? One more year and then you wouldn’t be mad?
People talking about this have very old phones. Yet supporting an old product eventually costs a company way more money. Not to mention, security and apps start to not work either. I get 3 years max out of most consumer electronics, then they go off to be recycled. I did have an iMac that lasted 11 years. I’ve got a microsoft surface laptop now. It’s a disposable business model. These are not heirloom quality devices meant to be passed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my phone brand new a year and a half ago for $750 and now I have these issues I know the 7 is older by number of models but damn a year in a half and it’s a paperweight on my desk.

Just an FYI...reading through this thread, I've been surprised at the degree of negative feelings towards iPhones.
When my wife and I got started with smartphones several years ago now, it seemed like the main brand talked about at the time was the Apple iPhone...so we started with them, and can honestly say we haven't had any sort of complaint with them.
But...we don't have any first hand knowledge about other brands.

FWIW, a quick Internet search just now of the top 10 brands of smartphones pops up this list:

1st Place : Samsung
2nd Place : Apple
3rd Place : Huawei
4th Place : Oppo
5th Place : Vivo
6th Place : Xiaomi
7th Place : LG
8th Place : Lenovo
9th Place : ZTE
10th Place : Alcatel-Lucent

I have had both platforms and for me by far the iPhone is my favorite and up till Saturday I’ve never had a complaint.

nckeith

Ten Pointer
I bought my phone brand new a year and a half ago for $750 and now I have these issues I know the 7 is older by number of models but damn a year in a half and it’s a paperweight on my desk.

I have had both platforms and for me by far the iPhone is my favorite and up till Saturday I’ve never had a complaint.
Well again you may be getting the shaft. The iPhone 7 is 3 years old. That seems problematic.
Hopefully they straighten it out for you

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Well again you may be getting the shaft. The iPhone 7 is 3 years old. That seems problematic.
Hopefully they straighten it out for you

I’m shipping it out tomorrow for them to repair. Hell Verizon was trying to sell me an 8 yesterday. My work phone is a 8 and I couldn’t tell you the difference between them.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Last year, I noticed the case of my 3-4 year old iPhone 6Plus seemed to be swelling / lifting up / about to separate from the back half.

Dropped by a local Apple store to have them replace the battery ($29)...but they said they weren't allowed to open an expanded case for fear the battery might explode, etc.
Their policy was to simply sell me a brand new replacement 6Plus for the price of a battery....$29.

Took the new phone home, dumped the full restore on it ( from backups I'd made before going to the store ) and kept right on going like nothing had happened...just for the cost of a battery: $29

Now THAT's service.

Last edited:

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don’t know what mine is , if it fails it fails , I’m 52 and will be the first to say I don’t have to have a cell phone , I don’t carry mine every where I go and it sure the heck don’t go in a stand with me , it’s a phone that’s all It is to me
Hope you never have an emergency and need to contact someone. I get where your coming from, but if you don't want to use it leave it in your pocket but the safety net is worth taking it. I say this having been on the receiving end of a phone call several years ago after someone i know fell out of a tree and broke himself.. w/o the phone he would have been there a good long while.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So serious question. How long should they support a product. Forever?

I expect them to support it as long as there are a significant number of them still in use. I don't mean down to the last user, but when a significant number of your customers are still using a product, you shouldn't render your product obsolete. Apple products are very good. But they also usually command a premium price. And, IMO, the hardware lasts longer than some other brands. If you pay a premium for a longer-lasting product, it angers the consumer when the company intentionally tanks it. The Macbook Pro I am typing on is 9 years old and still trucking.

They also create significant distrust of their brand when the updates they provide generate significant operating difficulty for their product. Not just interface acclimation for the user, but issues like battery drain, that are either intentional or perceived to be. My phone isn't a lease, it was a purchase. And I expect any company charging what they do to support their products for a long time. By two biggest complaints with Apple are forced updates and tanking their own hardware. And my primary problem with #1 is #2. It would also go a long way if they were more transparent about their intentions for new hardware and the effects of updates.

EDIT: This is purely from a consumer standpoint. I understand that on their end certain compromises have to be made. But I believe it's short term profit chasing.

Last edited:

JoeR

Eight Pointer
A long while back I won an IPad in a contest. I traveled with it for a bit but then parked it in my shop. It does nothing but play music now. What chaps my ass about it is that it has had no new software added to it in FOREVER but it gets slower and slower. Apple says it is because they are trying to preserve battery life. It's been plugged in to power for several years now, so it's not that. I'll bet it takes 3 or 4 minutes to wake up every time I turn it on. They can deny that they're throttling it, but until they offer a reasonable, or even credible, excuse I will know differently. They'll never get any money of mine.

Joe

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Cell Phones have a limited service life, regardless of Apple or anyone else’s software or updates. It stinks but it is what it is, not unlike computers, or toaster ovens. If you use one less, it will work longer. But at some point the charging points quit working or the screen stops working or buttons on the old school push pad quit working or the battery life drops to 5 minutes or the flip phone shuts off half the time you shut it.

I’ve had Androids and iPhones personally, and have had blackberries and Windows phones and currently have an iPhone for work. None of them have been flawless.

But, the apple product is a market leader for good reason. Having slick products and being hip only gets you so far. But the android commercials that comment “my mom has an iPhone” uncover the fact that they have done more than make a fashion piece; they’ve made a product that’s embraced by folks that have only embraced it because it works well. My mom has an iPhone. And that says something.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
For an iPhone to be unable to upgrade to iOS 13, it has to be an iPhone 6 or older. The iPhone 6 came out in 2014. In 2014, the newest Android phones had Android 5.0 Lollipop on it. This Android operating system is no longer supported. Doesn't seem you gain any longevity if you went to Android.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I'm typing this on a 2011 or 2012 Samsung JS on Sprint network.
Am I just lucky ? Serious here, not a tech type person. Not my thing. Never has been. My home pc doesn't even work anymore. Died over a year ago when Mozilla quit supporting xp home. Lol. Was gonna get a new one, and all I heard was bad things about Win. 10 so, nothing. Life is seemingly ok for me without a pc.
No twitter, fb, pininterest. I talk on the phone with friends, or we have a beer together, or get something to eat. It works, for me. Dinosaur comes to mind...
Lol