Here we go again

odie408

Ten Pointer
Don't know how many remember the Evens rd. Fire but here we go again with I guess the Ferbee rd fire. Be prepared Conman, not headed your way yet but be ready.
Seemed to be a lightning strike. But Allstars is burning again just east of pococin lake refuge.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

News report this morning says 25% contained

odie408

Ten Pointer
Fires on this peat land are not really contained until they are flooded out. The ground burns like charcoal here.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Sounds about right. But I don't know the map. About a mile east and about 2 miles north of where the Evans rd fire started.

It was 5 to 10 acres at 12:30pm and over 500 around 6pm. Not heard anything today.
I was a ways off, I was thinking it was off of lake and shore drive toward Conman's.

odie408

Ten Pointer
If yall are as dry as we are in Dare county, it has the potential to burn for a long time.
We've had good rain but that peat drains and dries like coffee grinds and wax myrtle, vines and short pond pines all burn like they have fuel on them when hot.
Wind direction now is favorable for containment. We'll see.
I was a ways off, I was thinking it was off of lake and shore drive toward Conman's.
Maybe 4 to 5 miles south of there but a wind shift could change everything.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Looks like the fire is still on private land on what they are calling a "Carbon Farm" Operation............ Mike, are you carbon farming as well?

odie408

Ten Pointer
It has not grown since the first day. They are working to pump water out of new lake to flood it out. By carbon farming the canals are near full and the peat is not burning (not deep) and usfs is doing good holding the line.
Hope we get rain before any strong winds.