Here are your 4 best rigs for Hatchery Pond Trout

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Red worms and crickets work for me

Not going to say where is was yet (as I may do a video on it) but about 10 years ago I was fishing a famous or well known trout river. I came upon 2 old guys fishing bobbers. I asked had they caught anything. They pulled up a string that most would not believe.

what were they using? Crickets under Bobbers.

Reactions: CRC

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Not going to say where is was yet (as I may do a video on it) but about 10 years ago I was fishing a famous or well known trout river. I came upon 2 old guys fishing bobbers. I asked had they caught anything. They pulled up a string that most would not believe.

I sat beside some Asian fellas few weeks ago that were catching 2 to my one using bobbers and maggots or bobbers and corn them pond trout like it off bottom plus weight of bobber gets the cricket out there without sinking it a rainbow treat

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
And the pond at Azalea Park (up behind the WNC Nature Center)

They stocked Tomahawk yesterday so get some. They are there.

Last edited:

gremcat

Twelve Pointer

They have real tall non shiny bobbers in current? Maybe 13’rods with possibly oversized fly reel looking things on them? If your in a lake I can’t imagine they’d CP there but never know.

In PA many trout are stocked and I fish.... ALOT..... I catch them in dried up creeks to raging dam outflows. I fish about every bait you’d think and some you’d not. I’m over 3k fish at this point and avg size well over 16”. Only a handful of native brookies under 9-10”.

JONOV, I’ll PM you.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would like to check into this. I’m in Harnett county. I saw there was some stocked in more county. Any other spots near?

Also....I’m not familiar with the fishing side nor public land. Does a lifetime sportsman cover this or are there extra licenses needed?

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Mack, I always talk about using crickets up here if they were available like in NC. I’d bet the trout love them.

Ive found a few oddities in trout. Slightly smaller trout, whole full grown bullfrogs, mice, perch, dirt, more dirt lol, fist sized balls of bugs/flies, rocks, probably a few other things I’m forgetting

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Lots of mud bugs but no supply here. I’m a river rat since childhood so the first thing I do is flip rocks but very few crawfish in the shallows like in the ‘Dax. They can’t be bought/sold/or leave the river alive either by state law.

Saw a 8+lbs Tiger Trout chasing 10” bass out of the water this spring. Love those monster holdovers but while I’ve hooked a few something always went wrong. If Covid craziness dies down I’m heading back to Pulaski or other Lake Ontario tribs full of 15-20 lbs trout right now.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I would like to check into this. I’m in Harnett county. I saw there was some stocked in more county. Any other spots near?

Also....I’m not familiar with the fishing side nor public land. Does a lifetime sportsman cover this or are there extra licenses needed?
Your sportsman covers it actually for winter peogram just need basic license. As far as where to go look up ncwrc winter stocking its bout over. if your far out from stocking might have trouble finding leftovers its extremely popular most places I've been have been packed except one it actually has few left. I'm going tomorrow after get off work to get another limit probably be my last till spring