Here’s what WRC Is enacting for us waterfowlers ..good!

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Barring a drastic change of heart, this is what the commission will adopt at tomorrow’s meeting.

This year’s season dates/regulations will be as proposed earlier by the commission so it looks like the short Oct. season is good to go and we will open the Nov. season about a week earlier than last year ....when a lot of ducks are here.

Zoning will be happening for 2021! A new option was offered by FWS (option #3) that allows 2 zones and 3 splits within each zone. Commissioners like that option and will be moving forward with at tomorrow’s final adoption meeting.

Military and youth day hunts will remain concurrent for this year, however they got a lot of feedback from the public wanting to make it separate days. Competition seemed to be the main concerns. WRC will come out with a survey addressing this and gathering opinions for the following season. I think they will eventually separate the days.

Stay tuned, everything should be finalized tomorrow.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Sounded like the youth and military days might be separated into 1 day for each in future years

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Sounded like the youth and military days might be separated into 1 day for each in future years
That would suck. I am all for military appreciation but not taking it away from the youth. Put a few days in end of october or early november or something and spread it out dont take away days.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Personally I'm getting a little sick and tired of these "special" days. This group, then that group, what's next "left handed" days, "20 gauge days", "ugliest hat days"?? We need to STOP it at the youth days and leave everyone else to their own......

I agree! When the government decides to grant special favors and opportunities to access natural resources that belong to all of the people based on age or occupation simply stinks to high heaven. Especially when you have "youths" old enough to drive and work and hunt without taking the "old man" along anymore. As for military service I could maybe see some special favors for those that were drafted (they did not have a choice) or retirees. But for those who enlisted voluntarily no way. "Most" enlistees are under 20 and are looking for something to do (can't find a job) or hoping for education and/or skill training. And most get out after one or two stints. Same goes for EMT's, and cops. Retire with 25-30 years of service and then we'll talk. :)

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Not too pumped about zones. Seems like a good way to complicate things and increase crowding

Really not complicated at all. East and West zones could have the exact same season dates if WRC wants. Or they could open season earlier in West zone to take advantage of better wood duck opportunities and let East open later when more different species of birds arrive in the coastal areas. Hunters will go where the birds are ....just like they always have. Doesn’t matter East or West.

Reactions: CRC

Clark

Ten Pointer
The senior citizens/retirees need extra days because we are slow and need more time to get out there...
And color blind people deserve extra days because we have to pass on so many birds due to bird identification issues - tough to ID when all the ducks are brown...

ducknut

Eight Pointer
This is why ive always said be careful what you wish for. Nobody from the east is gonna head west when their season is closed, everybody from the west is gonna head east when their season is closed.
Agreed. Don't understand the recent need to change everything.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Fellows, it’s NOT going to be complicated! Nor is it going to lead to overcrowding. If you’re want “complicated” all you have to do is to look at the deer hunting season “zones” in NC. Are those areas overcrowded/overrun with deer hunters because the eastern zone opened earlier than the western zone or some other zone? Of course not. Will some hunters from one deer zone hunt the other zone? Of course they will, however they probably have been doing it all along and no one notices or complains about it. It’s a non issue and will be with this.

Let me give an example as presented to the Waterfowl Committee last fall on how a season might look.

West Zone: Oct. 6-9
Nov. 11-Dec. 1
Dec. 18-Jan. 31

East Zone: Nov. 6-Dec. 1
Dec. 18-Jan. 31

Total hunt days:
West Zone-60
East Zone-60

So in laymen’s terms this example simply eliminates the short 4 day Oct season for the East (Coastal) but allows them to open 4 hunting days earlier in Nov. than in the West. That’s it. Simple as that. And if you know were I-95 is, then you’ll know where the dividing line is ....

Last edited:
Reactions: Gus

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Fellows, it’s NOT going to be complicated! Nor is it going to lead to overcrowding. If you’re want “complicated” all you have to do is to look at the deer hunting season “zones” in NC. Are those areas overcrowded/overrun with deer hunters because the eastern zone opened earlier than the western zone or some other zone? Of course not. Will some hunters from one deer zone hunt the other zone? Of course they will, however they probably have been doing it all along and no one notices or complains about it. It’s a non issue and will be with this.

Let me give an example as presented to the Waterfowl Committee last fall on how a season might look.

West Zone: Oct. 6-9
Nov. 11-Dec. 1
Dec. 18-Jan. 31

East Zone: Nov. 6-Dec. 1
Dec. 18-Jan. 31

Total hunt days:
West Zone-60
East Zone-60

So in laymen’s terms this example simply eliminates the short 4 day Oct season for the East (Coastal) but allows them to open 4 hunting days earlier in Nov. than in the West. That’s it. Simple as that. And if you know were I-95 is, then you’ll know where the dividing line is ....
Have you been told they are going to get rid of october in the east or is that just a guess?

ducknut

Eight Pointer
I should have said over complicate. I don't think anyone will be confused by the zones. Pretty much across the board everyone's biggest complaint with NC duck hunting is over crowding. What do they do, zones.... You can't compare deer hunting and duck hunting. There's very little land in the state that isn't productive to deer hunt. It's the opposite for ducks. Apples to oranges. So zoning is increasing crowds. Don't see the need.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Ducknet, zoning lets me come down east for 4 more days. Where did you say you are at??????

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
They do have zones. I've never hunted there, but sure read alot of complaints about crowding there.

the crowding has little to do with zones, but with the hunting,,,,,,folks must have more free time and money now,,,they go where the ducks go,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Guess I'm a fan of less rules and regulations. We managed for years without zones

yeap, sure did - and many complained. Some folks want zones, some see no need - me, I don't think it will become that major of an issue

I don't have the data from across the state to make that decision, so I go with what the paid waterfowl folks think is best

ducknut

Eight Pointer
yeap, sure did - and many complained. Some folks want zones, some see no need - me, I don't think it will become that major of an issue

I don't have the data from across the state to make that decision, so I go with what the paid waterfowl folks think is best
It won't be a major issue except when only one zone is open. With Hyde probably being closed to public hunting there is going to be a whole lot less places for everyone coming east.