Henry single shot rifle

Lee

Six Pointer
Let us know if you find some in stock in central NC. I think I want one to host a suppressor in one of the pistol calibers.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I really like the #1 and #3 rugers they are very nice.
Have both in 45-70 and a #1T in 416 RM
Very fun guns to shoot.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I really like the #1 and #3 rugers they are very nice.
Have both in 45-70 and a #1T in 416 RM
Very fun guns to shoot.

I have both as well in a 45/70. And to be honest, I like the No 3 better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
She was too purty to leave in the store. Got it from Fuquay Gun, $369. Now to load some ammo....

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
She was too purty to leave in the store. Got it from Fuquay Gun, $369. Now to load some ammo....
Lets see some pics!

I have always wanted a Ruger No1 and I like the looks of the Henry also.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I like it.....I can see me buying one someday. Can't wait to hear the range report.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Would the 1-4x20 draw enough light for the last 10 minutes of legal shooting??

Short answer... yes it will work but the 2x7 will probably serve you better

My personal opinion is to go with the 2x7x33.
At one time I had a Leupold Vari X III 1.5x5x20 on my Ruger No 3. I found that in low light conditions at even at low power the crosshairs could become hard to pick up.

I swapped it out for a Leupold Vari X III 2.5x8x36 and haven’t looked back.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Would the 1-4x20 draw enough light for the last 10 minutes of legal shooting??
I would say yes it would for the most part.
Depends really on location, moon, and weather.
My thoughts are this. Most those guns are setup to shoot open sights. Add a base and keep the scope low will work best.
Also if you hit the 30mm to 33 or 40mm the scooe will get longer so it may not clear the sights with out being high.
Then you need to deal with holding your head high or off the stock.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What base and rings you use on the ruger #3?
Mine is a earlier one don't even think it is D&T.

Ruger Factory rings and base

They were on the gun when I bought it.

My Dad said they were at one time available direct from Ruger

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
A fixed 4x Leupold would be good on that rifle. Plenty of magnification for shooting deer sized targets at extended range and not too much for close shots.

<>< Fish

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Legal shooting hours that scope would be no problem. For the folks that wring every minute of the hunt out they can get and don't worry about legalities it may get a little hard to see.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hope it shoots well for u, I have though hard about one of those in 30-30. OR .357

Waiting for this dang heat wave to break to shoot it. I have H&R's in 357 and 30/30, both are accurate. The 357 is fun fun fun. Almost no recoil, low noise, (38's are mouse fart loud). The rifle barrel length really turns up the velocities. I'd have to dig out my notes but I seem to recall 1700's fps with 158 gr bullets and 2000's fps with 125 gr bullets. I shot my biggest buck to date with a 158 and second biggest with a 125. Oh and a bonus to the 357.... it's easily reamed to 357 Remington Maximum yet you can still shoot 357's and 38's. The Maxi nips hard at the 35 Remington in power.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A heads up for those buying one of these rifles. The Weaver 82 scope base is a stupid design with that flat spot on the back where a ring slot should be. I found the Leupold 56515 fits perfect and is a better design.005.JPG

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sometimes that flat back is a good thing when you are mounting an adjustable power scope in low rings and you need the extra clearance to move the power ring.

When's the range report coming? Will the Henry handle H&R level loadings?

<>< Fish.

Hopefully this weekend. Yes it will handle any load the H&R will handle.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Finally found a set of rings to allow the scope to just clear the hammer extension. Mounted a 2-7x33 Redfield Revolution. Rumor has it these use the old Leupold Vari-X II glass.