Henry single shot rifle

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Finally got to shoot it. I gave all my 45/70 reloads and supplies to my brother so I bought some ammo at the last gun show. Sierra 300 gr hollow points listed at 2050 fps. No chrony today but I've shot enough 45/70's to know these are all over that. These things were brutal. Rumors of heavy triggers on these guns are true. I'd say it's every bit of the 8# I've read about. There is no creep and it breaks clean. I managed to keep 3 shots under an inch at 50 yards despite the trigger and healthy recoil.

Last edited:

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have 4 singles but all built on custom stock sets and Thompson Center Encore frames. Built a 6.5 x 55 for my two sons and I hunt with a 6.5 BRM, I also have a 264 Win Mag. I love hunting with a single shot rifle can’t explain why just makes me a better hunter.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just did the Grainger 31# spring change, wow what an improvement. The hammer is easier to cock and the trigger pull went from about 8 lbs to about 4 lbs. If any of y'all are on the fence buying one of these rifles because of the heavy trigger this is an easy 5 minute fix.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Finally shot it since the trigger job. WOW what a difference!! Also tested a new load trying to lower the recoil. This is at 50 yards and a stiff wind. Hornady LE cases, 300 gr Remington hp, 30.0 gr 2400 powder.
5643214afec6571e91c8a83ab3dcb412.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk