Henry or Marlin?

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I want to trade a .243 I don’t use anymore for a short range brush gun. Looking at either a Henry or Marlin 1894 lever action in .44 mag for that job.

Never had a lever gun & was wondering if one is clearly better than the other. I think I like the Marlin’s sights better, but that may be a moot point if I put an optic on it.

Any advice appreciated.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you could find an older Marlin I would much prefer it. That being said the Henry would be easier to get as you can walk in a gun store and have them order one if they don't have it. As to the new Remlins even with all the touting they have straightened up, don't know if I would believe that or not.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The current production Marlin's appear to be back to their old quality judging by the one's I've handled. Do you want tube feed or a loading gate feed? That is a make or break deal to some guys....

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I have the Henry Big Boy 44 mag. I can vouch for its accuracy and smooth handling! Also, it's so pretty I don't take it out much.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The material difference between the two guns may or may not be relevant to you but the method of loading is quite different.

The Marlin design loads through a side gate on the receiver and they can be readily "topped off" with additional rounds.

In contrast, all but just a few Henry lever guns incorporate the tube loading design, which doesn't lend itself to that function nearly as well.

Trappertod

Six Pointer
I like the gate load, but when I go shopping for a gun, I look for what suits me. For example, all my buds were buying Glock pistols. I went to look at them and ended up with a Springfield, the Glock felt like a square brick in my hand. Seems like the .44 in those lever actions is really getting popular.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Thanks guys, it seems like both are good guns & it’s a preference issue. I’ll handle them both more carefully and post back with pics once I decide.

As a follow up for those that hunts with these, any particular cartridge recommendations? Factory only, I don’t load my own.

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Marlin > Henry.

Henry wouldn't even be my 2nd choice for a .44 lever gun. Listed in order I'd go with Marlin, Winchester, Rossi/Puma and then Henry.

If you like a bolt action go look at a Ruger 77/44. It is just as handy as a .44 lever gun. I really enjoy hunting with mine.

<>< Fish

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Marlin > Henry.

Henry wouldn't even be my 2nd choice for a .44 lever gun. Listed in order I'd go with Marlin, Winchester, Rossi/Puma and then Henry.

If you like a bolt action go look at a Ruger 77/44. It is just as handy as a .44 lever gun. I really enjoy hunting with mine.

<>< Fish

I’d like to get my hands on a 77/44... until then I’ll use my old Ruger .44 carbine.

To the OP,
Marlin for me, preferably an older one.
Then a Winchester

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Like FH said Marlin > Henry. One of my friends has Henrys in 357, 45 colt and he just got an all weather 45-70. I have held them and shot them and Ido not like them near as well as Marlins. I just got a Marlin 1894 from ED's and it is a good gun. smooth, no gaps everything looks good.

nc35hunter

Four Pointer
If you get a chance to put your hands on an older Marlin it will not be a close comparison. I have a 22, 30-30 and 45-70 and I’m always looking for another one.

I remember seeing one of the older .44 Mag 336’s in a pawn shop a few years ago and really wish I had bought it. They are rare but I would keep an eye out for that one as well as the 1894. Good luck with your search.

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Both are great rifles, never fired any large caliber Henry's but my 22mag is a tack driver. But those old school marlins you cant beat em!

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
I decided on the Marlin. It felt better in my hands and the sights lined up for me better than the Henry. The Henry was nice, but they only had the octagonal barrel model. The octagonal barrel was heavier than I wanted to lug around in the woods.

Bought two boxes of Hornady Leverlution to feed it.

Attachments

• 4019E39B-62F6-4AE7-AF84-20413A782DE6.jpeg
    4019E39B-62F6-4AE7-AF84-20413A782DE6.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 21

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I decided on the Marlin. It felt better in my hands and the sights lined up for me better than the Henry. The Henry was nice, but they only had the octagonal barrel model. The octagonal barrel was heavier than I wanted to lug around in the woods.

Bought two boxes of Hornady Leverlution to feed it.

Good choice!

If you decide to scope the rifle a small 1-4x20 sized scope will not effect the size and balance much but it will provide the ability to shoot at first and last light. My 1894 has a Weaver 1-3x20 and I've had no problems with it.

<>< Fish

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
If it doesn’t like those cartridges don’t be disappointed, I have several Marlins and more don’t than do.

Thanks for the heads up.

I’m hoping since it’s a newer model & the owners manual references polymer tips that it will, but I’m open to shooting the flat point lead. Matter of fact, I’ll get a box of those & compare.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Most of mine really like the old traditional round nose leadtip. I was sadly disappointed with one rifle I bought a gross of the LR cartridges only to find it didn’t like them at all. But I traded them off.

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
Most of mine really like the old traditional round nose leadtip. I was sadly disappointed with one rifle I bought a gross of the LR cartridges only to find it didn’t like them at all. But I traded them off.

Was it a cartridge feeding issue with the LR’s or an accuracy issue? Just wondering what failures to be prepared forz

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Was it a cartridge feeding issue with the LR’s or an accuracy issue? Just wondering what failures to be prepared forz
Accuracy, the rifle just didn't like them. It was a 30/30, it would shoot round nose 150 and 170 gr. great. Really didn't have a big preference as to brand. But it did not like the LR at all.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A
Accuracy, the rifle just didn't like them. It was a 30/30, it would shoot round nose 150 and 150 gr. great. Really didn't have a big preference as to brand. But it did not like the LR at all.
And you can't reload them with anything but...they are short brass due to the bullet construction. Found that with my .444
1972 rifle, it didn't like them either

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have a .35 that will shoot them ok, but not like it will shoot Remington factory core lokt. It really likes them.