Henry 44 mag

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do you have an offset for the hammer? I've got the same gun coming and am wondering if there's room to get your thumb under the scope?

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice, congrats!! Decide on a scope yet?

Haven't really decided yet. I have a couple of favorite spots where I would be shooting less than 60 yards so I may leave it unscoped!!:unsure:

That is, until a big one comes thru right at dark, then I'll regret my decision!! :cry:

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wish I could leave mine unscoped but these old eye won't allow it. Have you managed to find ammo?

I understand! My eyes have been watching stuff for 70 years so this is gonna be a grand experiment! o_O

I have a Henry Big Boy in 44 so I've accumulated quite a bit of ammo over the years. Seems like every time somebody mentions a new load, I gotta try it. 🤷‍♂️

The LeverEvolutions in 225 gr shoot well out of the lever action but I also have several boxes of different hunting loads.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I saw a box of load your own 265 gr gummy tips the other day and started to get them but I have a bunch of factory 180 gr and reloaded 240 gr.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Haven't really decided yet. I have a couple of favorite spots where I would be shooting less than 60 yards so I may leave it unscoped!!:unsure:

That is, until a big one comes thru right at dark, then I'll regret my decision!! :cry:
Don't do it. Cruise the used racks, here and pawn shops and pick up a compact Burris or Leupold 2-7 preferably, or second choice 3-9 and be done with it. That is what I did with my last old Marlin, in fact I picked it up here. It is a match made in heaven. Our eyes are LONG past prime time shooting morning and evening.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't do it. Cruise the used racks, here and pawn shops and pick up a compact Burris or Leupold 2-7 preferably, or second choice 3-9 and be done with it. That is what I did with my last old Marlin, in fact I picked it up here. It is a match made in heaven. Our eyes are LONG past prime time shooting morning and evening.

Yeah, I have a boxful of used scopes I’ve taken off other guns plus I may remove a scope from other rifles I never use!!!

I’ll look thru them. One that jumps out in memory is a fixed 4x Redfield Widefield!!

I still like the idea of keeping it simple tho! 🤷‍♂️

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, I have a boxful of used scopes I’ve taken off other guns plus I may remove a scope from other rifles I never use!!!

I’ll look thru them. One that jumps out in memory is a fixed 4x Redfield Widefield!!

I still like the idea of keeping it simple tho! 🤷‍♂️
Keeping it simple is nice, but you have to figure in practical. Hunting with a weapon at least for me that handicaps me from shots at prime time all the time has that red flag waving in the back of my mind. That either makes me leave it at home or not enjoy using it. But that is just me.