Henry “Garden Gun”

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It’s more novelty than anything. What exactly was the purpose in practicality. Shooting mice? Rats? Snakes?

Neat concept and I would not turn one away, but not really all that great in real world applications.

The old 410/.22lr over/under is where the meat and potatoes are. That would be a real garden gun.

“J”

Twelve Pointer
I think it’s the whole not damaging too much other than what your shooting at, that has it appeal.
.410 and .22 for that matter has tendency too go much further than the attended target.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think it’s the whole not damaging too much other than what your shooting at, that has it appeal.
.410 and .22 for that matter has tendency too go much further than the attended target.

Not a lot of difference in a 410 with 9-12 shot and a 22 with 9-12 shot.

“J”

Twelve Pointer
Not a lot of difference in a 410 with 9-12 shot and a 22 with 9-12 shot.
I’d have to disagree on that. For one there’d be a whole lot more bb’s and the FPS/energy would be more . Also I could shoot this in close proximity too the house and not rock the windows.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Buy one. Let us know the results. At the end of the day, it’s a gun. They never made one that I don’t want.

“J”

Twelve Pointer
That’s the plan ? As I’m in the same boat. A buddy of mine has one on order and waiting on him to get his and put some rounds through it. Pretty much a pellet gun on steroids.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
build it and theyStandard-Manufacturing-S333-VOLLEYFIRE-Double-Barrel-Revolver-2.jpgStandard-Manufacturing-S333-THUNDERSTRUCK-Now-Shipping-3.jpg will buy it.....just saw this gun yesterday....when I picked it up I thought the trig guard was broken.....nope.....it's a 8 shot 22 mag with 2 barrels SxS….pull the trig once and both barrels fire.....WTF....hard as heck double action only....around 275 new.....

“J”

Twelve Pointer
A smoothbore rimfire, go ahead and tell me the big use for it? The ones I have seen for sale used later on bring next to nothing.
Stuff that inhabit the yard from time too time.
I don’t buy guns for an investment, I buy em too use them and let who’s ever the beneficiary worry about the resale....
Also I like the idea of it being a lever action with the Henry quality vs the marlin bargain basement version that they had put out.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Stuff that inhabit the yard from time too time.
I don’t buy guns for an investment, I buy em too use them and let who’s ever the beneficiary worry about the resale....
Also I like the idea of it being a lever action with the Henry quality vs the marlin bargain basement version that they had put out.
I said MARLIN and others. Remington, Winchester and just about all major mfgs. did it at one time or the other. They all found out they were useless. Most of the ones of them that aren't smoothbore are collector items now and bring a mint.

Shot cartridges are very close range in a .22 rimfire at best and unless you plan on shooting hundreds even thousands of rounds through them you can do it through a rifled barrel and not tell much difference. Clean it well and you still have a functional arm for regular use.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yes they do, but at effective distances for a .22 LR you won't tell much difference.

took me a second look to decide if your "yes they do" referred to rifling patterns or that henry was offering screw in chokes,,,I was hoping screw in chokes but alas, their website doesn't say

all of that (on my part) was fun and games,,,never understood the whole 22 rimfire shot shell desire,,,I've messed with them some but not enough there to mess with - and Henry's advertising that it will dispatch slithering critters (I assume snakes - but if they are talking earthworms we may have something), mice and barn birds, well I guess if they are REAL close,,,,

then the whole "by your side",,,,,we are all gonna look like Chuck Connors heading to our garden patches with our rifles,,,,

to me, a 357 or up with shot shells in a holster by my side is a better option if you want a small load of shotshells,,

but it's an easy sell for Henry - bet it cost them a low amount to tool up for that option - I wish them luck,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
took me a second look to decide if your "yes they do" referred to rifling patterns or that henry was offering screw in chokes,,,I was hoping screw in chokes but alas, their website doesn't say

all of that (on my part) was fun and games,,,never understood the whole 22 rimfire shot shell desire,,,I've messed with them some but not enough there to mess with - and Henry's advertising that it will dispatch slithering critters (I assume snakes - but if they are talking earthworms we may have something), mice and barn birds, well I guess if they are REAL close,,,,

then the whole "by your side",,,,,we are all gonna look like Chuck Connors heading to our garden patches with our rifles,,,,

to me, a 357 or up with shot shells in a holster by my side is a better option if you want a small load of shotshells,,

but it's an easy sell for Henry - bet it cost them a low amount to tool up for that option - I wish them luck,
I was referring to rifiling does play havoc with shot pattern.

I have a pretty good assortment of . 38 and .45 shot cartridges for various arms I carry. I even have a couple dedicated arms to carry (semi auto) that will cycle the stuff if I am going to be in a place that I feel a run in with critters I don't like will be inevitable. Like fishing some of the ponds or creeks in your area.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Why are patterns important for #12 shot at 10ft?

It’s not like you’re shooting a turkey at 40 yds!! If you miss the target the 1st time then Hell, shoot again!

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
it was a joke on my part,,,,,,,sorry for the levity,,,

Not you! I got your drift quickly!! :)

Others before you were concerned about what rifling does to patterns!!!

EDIT - well, in looking back over the posts maybe it was you who perpetuated the "rifling" issue!! :)

But what ignited my thought process was that ONE poster who suggested smooth bore handguns!! :rolleyes:

Last edited: