Help with Indian Creek choke

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I personally believe the forcing cones will do more to the pattern than the choke to an extent.

a factory fixed full choke with an extended and polished forcing cone would be tough.

the newer Browning’s with the ds choke system are interesting the chokes are much more open than most other chokes. They pattern the same. The new ones also have a long forcing cone.

I really believe the forcing cone plays a whole lot into the pattern equation.

Bfoot130

Button Buck
First off the Beretta is definitely not step up from the Gold. More expensive. Yes. lol
Sorry if someone mentioned it, but you probably have a POA issue. Many of those tight barreled Italian guns don't shoot POA.
So try a big piece of paper like 30"x30" and see if you are getting the densest part of pattern on paper.
I thought someone mentioned this, but a .665 in a .742 back bored Browning Gold and a .730 Beretta are not going to have same amount of constriction. I would think you need a .660 or .655 in the Beretta with LBXR.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a jebs .655 after talking with them on the phone. I have shot federal tss # 9, browning tss 7&9 blend, longbeard 5s and 6s, hevi 13 #5, and triple beards. By far the best has been the federal tss but at 40 it’s still not what it should be

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I find the shoulder bruising comments interesting.. how many of these shells are you guys shooting to practice? I have yet to ever feel the kick when shooting at a turkey and once I find a load and gun pattern I like, testing is over.

shot about 6 shells, every year my red dot needs to be tweaked a little to get the pattern centered just right. I think when I tear the gun down post season it changes POI just a little. Always start with some old 3.5 nitro turkeys a buddy gave me to get it close and then switch to high dollar shells. The pattern is never off much and could kill a bird with how it usually is on the first shot but I feel better getting it right.

Everyone with an optic needs to shoot at least once before season.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
im going to shoot some 1ounce 6shot loads through my 870 with the turkey choke to get a benchmark. Maybe 4-5.

I’m going to hit it with some rubbing compound and finish it off with mother’s polish to see if that changes anything.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Also,

If really struggling to get one to pattern, try a regular 6shot load at 1,1-1/8, 1-1/4.

You may find better patterns with small payloads, especially if choking it to death.