Help with fly fishing reels and...

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I acquired these. Google searches are all over the place. I can say I have never casted or used fly equipment.
questions are
What are these worth?
which is better for open water?
is one for small fish or larger fish or lure size or fly size?
I am not familiar with fly lingo.
any comment or advice welcome. What kinda rod do I need to look for? I would like to target I think the spring mayfly spawn on intercostal river, chowan. In the morning and afternoon 100s 1000s of fish top water feed in crazy sprees. How do I target this bite? I might trade one of these reels for a rod.
thanks guys.

Attachments

• 3C39CE42-8270-4B44-A034-1926B71EE13B.jpeg
    3C39CE42-8270-4B44-A034-1926B71EE13B.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 95C5D905-EACE-4498-8CA1-6B65065CBA2B.jpeg
    95C5D905-EACE-4498-8CA1-6B65065CBA2B.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 46

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Take it to a fly shop and let them tell you what type line is on those reels and if it is ok...It may be one has sinking line and one floating and the owner switched them out depending upon what they were fishing for...

If you are lucky one will have 6 weight line that is still good to use and if so...Then buy a 6 weight rod in 8 1/2 - 9 foot...A number 6 weight rod is a good size for targeting bream and bass on the Chowan...

In fly fishing, the reel holds the line, that's it...You cast and retrieve with your left hand (if right handed) so the reel really just stores the line...

They make various flies that can resemble a mayfly but you may be just as well off shopping for some basic bugs for bream and bass, like the popular Betts line...Add a few foam spiders and you are good to go ...

Get the shop to either sell you some leaders or show you how to make some as well while there...

Flyrodding can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be...

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
@kilerhamilton
The Orvis reel is a 7/8 weight reel.
A 9’ 8wt rod would be fine for bass, especially if you’re trying to turn over larger flies. It may be a bit heavy for bream but I’ve caught a bunch on an 8. Unless you’re sure the line has been stored away from UV light and is fairly new; go ahead and replace it.

Best bet is find a fly shop.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep they are big and hold a lot of backing. So for trout and panfish it will be a heavy set up.
Better used for bass, larger fish like spec trout and small blues..

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Both reels are good quality reels, both are quite expensive for what a fly reel is for but should last for years.
As stated, depending on your intended use these can double as trout in large stream or lake reels or bass/panfish reels. They are both a bit heavy for small water trout, which will typically be up to a 5 wt line max.
If your just getting into fly fishing a Reddington or Sage is a decent rod, or check E-bay for a used Fenwick FT 8 1/2 foot 7 to 8 wt to fit those reels or you can go to a fly fishing website and I'm sure you'd find someone willing to trade that Orvis reel for a nice flyrod in the $150 dollar range.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
eBay is all over the place. If I get to a fly ship I will get an unbiased opinion on value. They have the soft leather cases.
many guesses on fair market?
so the orvis will handle white perch, small channels and bass 5# maybe?

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
so the orvis will handle white perch, small channels and bass 5# maybe?

Sure, if it is paired to a rod that will handle them. And anything 5wt or heavier will handle the species you have listed.
If those fish are what you're after, sell the two reels you have and buy a 9' 5wt. A 5lb bass on a 5wt is a blast. You can do an awful lot with a 5wt.
Or maybe pick up a 6wt rod and put the smaller of the two reels on it, provided you apply the correct weight line to it.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
If you want we can go play with them and put the on rods then let you pick the feel for what you want.
I have several rods set up from light to heavy.
The reel just holds the line. It does nothing other than hold line most play is working the line by hand short of big gamefish. But you do want the drag set just incase something picks up and runs with it.
Very little fighting is done with the reel.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
40ish for sci anglers and 60-80 ish for orvis if you market in front of the right people (vintage orvis collectors). Neither is high tech, more workhorse entry level stuff by well known premium brands. With that being said, most name brand fly fishing equipment is outrageously priced so you should be able to get a premium price due to scarcity of deals.

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
Upon further review there is an anti reverse and multiplier version of the orvis dxr series. Both would command a premium, not for any functionality increase just because of rarity and “cool” factor. Yours doesn’t appear to be either. There was a blue label produced by Ross, and another version made by Lamson. I don’t know if yours was made by one or the other. Almost all scientific anglers hardware is produced by another manufacturer, and depends on the era of who that might be. Based on who made the reel and what internals it has, could potentially spike the value.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Found the rod. Or this rod.
does this mean 8weight rod?
the smaller 7/8 orvis looks better and balances better than the mastery series. Made in England the scientific angler

Attachments

• D492930A-096C-4775-8DA4-011912171E62.jpeg
    D492930A-096C-4775-8DA4-011912171E62.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 10

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep it is designed to work best with a 8 wt line.
But pending the type of line you could go up or down a few.

Like I said before it is all about balance and feel.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Also add that would do fine for lake fishing, bass and large pan fish.
It may be a good one rod reel pick for accross the board if you only wanted one.
Would be a little heavy on a small mountain trout creek but would still work.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's a bass, striper, sea trout rod..it would work great paired with the Orvis reel you have.
A decent WF8 line and you'd have something to cast larger baits even in a decent breeze.
You could pair with a DT7 floating line and do ok with bream or heavy trout flies without too much water disturbance.