Help with Falls Lake fishing.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Help me out guys. I have spent a lifetime fishing salt water. This year I am bringing my Carolina Skiff home to Wake Forest until the end of March. Mostly so she will be available after work to be cleaned up to get ready for late spring and summer at the coast. It is time for a new impellor and an oil change. I am sure my Wake Forest neighbors will find it as entertaining as my campground neighbors!

I plan to try some fishing at Falls Lake in the next six weeks.

I have ZERO fresh water fishing experience in the last 45 years. I fished the glades in Fla as a kid but those memories are pretty foggy and seem to include string, an open safety pin and a hunk of Vienna Sausage (the only suitable use for that vile stuff).

I don't need to know anyone's fishing spots. What I need is advice about what to fish FOR in February/March at Falls Lake. I live about 5 mins from the Lake. Bait suggestions for morning, evening, mid day. I am clueless........And I just want to catch fish. Don't care what kind.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
crappie!

minnows on small hook about 15" below a bobber
minnow on small hook about 1 foot off the bottom in some deeper coves
charlie brewer crappie slider jigs (i like the black with glow tail), simple cast and slow retrieve

Bass in march could be on their beds. It's been very warm this winter.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I've always caught fish out there. Sometimes just catfish on crappie minnows but I've always caught something.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Help me out guys. I have spent a lifetime fishing salt water. This year I am bringing my Carolina Skiff home to Wake Forest until the end of March. Mostly so she will be available after work to be cleaned up to get ready for late spring and summer at the coast. It is time for a new impellor and an oil change. I am sure my Wake Forest neighbors will find it as entertaining as my campground neighbors!

I plan to try some fishing at Falls Lake in the next six weeks.

I have ZERO fresh water fishing experience in the last 45 years. I fished the glades in Fla as a kid but those memories are pretty foggy and seem to include string, an open safety pin and a hunk of Vienna Sausage (the only suitable use for that vile stuff).

I don't need to know anyone's fishing spots. What I need is advice about what to fish FOR in February/March at Falls Lake. I live about 5 mins from the Lake. Bait suggestions for morning, evening, mid day. I am clueless........And I just want to catch fish. Don't care what kind.

Any advice would be appreciated.
an open safety pin and a hunk of Vienna Sausage (the only suitable use for that vile stuff). Those are almost fighting words in this part of the country. ;)

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
an open safety pin and a hunk of Vienna Sausage (the only suitable use for that vile stuff). Those are almost fighting words in this part of the country. ;)

LOL! Never been that hungry! I grew up in the glades eating all kinds of strange stuff but NOPE on those things. Sardines are fine. Cold Beanie Weenies are fine. NOT gonna eat the Vienna Sausage!

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
LOL! Never been that hungry! I grew up in the glades eating all kinds of strange stuff but NOPE on those things. Sardines are fine. Cold Beanie Weenies are fine. NOT gonna eat the Vienna Sausage!
Any of the above , good cold coke, saltines and any of the above make a snack in the woods or on the lake. just imagine your eating a pork chop, barbaque,pickeld pigs feet,pork rinds, with a little hot sauce , good stuff :LOL:

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
crappie!

minnows on small hook about 15" below a bobber
minnow on small hook about 1 foot off the bottom in some deeper coves
charlie brewer crappie slider jigs (i like the black with glow tail), simple cast and slow retrieve

^^^^ this is your best advice. Fished Falls lake for 14 years. Where there's one, there's ALOT more.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Was sitting here last night looking at the water level.
Thinking about fishing thia weekend but want to let the water settle some.
Sure has been high.

Yep. Gonna give it some time to settle down. It will be two weeks before I have the boat here.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I keep my 19.8 Carolina Skiff at my river place at Twin Lakes in Chocowinity. Free storage and gets it out of my driveway. I plan to bring it here to do the spring service myself. It will go back to the river or my MILs place at Morehead later in the Spring.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I keep my 19.8 Carolina Skiff at my river place at Twin Lakes in Chocowinity. Free storage and gets it out of my driveway. I plan to bring it here to do the spring service myself. It will go back to the river or my MILs place at Morehead later in the Spring.
Very good.
I started back fishing up there more over the last year and have fished it for many years in the past.
Fun lake but summer gets a bunch or traffic so when it gets warm fish early or stay really late.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
how about that, where did that come from? You figure that out or is it a long standing custom somewhere?
No a guy I carried fishing. He was telling me how great it is and need to try it.
He had some that morning, I could not bring myself to try it.
About 2 hrs into the fishing trip he started acting funny and then told me to head to the beach over there.... It was going to come out one way or another!

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Very good.
I started back fishing up there more over the last year and have fished it for many years in the past.
Fun lake but summer gets a bunch or traffic so when it gets warm fish early or stay really late.

Yep - We had the boat at the house one weekend last summer for some reason and took it out Saturday afternoon. Never AGAIN. Lots of stupid people too close together. Give me some room please!

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep - We had the boat at the house one weekend last summer for some reason and took it out Saturday afternoon. Never AGAIN. Lots of stupid people too close together. Give me some room please!
Thats the norm for that lake. That is one reason I like Gaston, just a little bigger and I can fish part of the day Saturday befor the drunks wake up and get on the lake. Not many ramps and they are smaller on that lake, most boaters live on the lake.

Anyway when you get ready yell if you want and we can carry the boats up for a trip to show you the lake and a few places I fished in years past.