Help with coyote set up

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
And if you bring in a litter while calling, shoot the one most likely to make an econazi go "Awwww, isn't it cute," first.

That's my priority ranking. Cute down to butt ugly pup.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
New video of our range trip yesterday. Probably need to add an adjustable/collapsible stock. Any suggestions on a good one that doesn't have any wobble and suitable for accurate shooting?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hogue is a good stock, very tight and wobble free. Also pretty darn expensive for what you get.
A couple of well placed auto rated velcro strips will typically tighten up the less expensive stocks.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Got another from the same stand. That is 8 from the same stand. There is actually one more left because it has a broken right leg that he has seen on camera. This one had a broken left leg. This pack ran on gamelands around Butner. Son hunts private land adjacent to gamelands. Should see the fawns rebound. He got no fawns on camera last year.
IMG_8846.jpeg

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In my limited experience, coyotes are very dumb and easy. Once. Screw up on a coyote and you’ll never find a tougher opponent. I preferred red light over green, but that seems to be a hotly debated topic. Make sure the one that comes in wanders off on his own or takes a dirt nap. Don’t get made. But again, that’s in my limited experience.
If you think yotes are easy wait to you run into gray fox, they will crawl in your pocket.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I have a friend on the lake outside Butner who borders the game land. He has killed around 20 on his place at night using a thermal setup. Last week he was out and had 15 in the field at one time. And I thought he was putting a dent in them.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
My son never got turkeys on his camera at the location he shot the coyotes. He now has a couple gobblers and a hen on camera and is hunting it this morning.

mattperry

Spike
Contributor
I also couldn’t afford thermal so I purchased a Sightmark Wraith night vision scope for my AR and with an upgraded IR light. I can see clear enough to identify out to 500 yards and clear enough to shoot out to 300 yards. Cost around $350 for the Wraith.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

what IR light did you upgrade to?

axrd

Button Buck
I have to tell you the only experience I have is what my son tells me and he has only shot two (with one shot). They are wary of any color light. He even had to switch to his black out trail camera because they freaked on the red light trail cam. Even with the black out he has to bait them more than 30 yards out. He baits them with cat food and dog food. Based on his trail cam pics they will come in the next night after baiting in a field and just be lazy and play the rest of the night in the same spot. He borrowed a thermal set up from a friend and watched 7 at the bait site before two lined themselves up and he got them both. Since you are able to bait you might consider baiting them to get them coming in to one spot. The other night he called them in with a "pups" call but they were too smart and looped around to get his wind and it was game over. If you call you might have to try to keep them from getting behind you or at least get them before they do. We are going to go ahead and get a thermal but will probably only spend $1000. Hope to be able to post some videos later.
How much bait do you use per set?

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
So I kinda took over this thread but hopefully was able to give others some help on their yote problems.
My son went out to gamelands around Butner this morning and these two made the mistake of showing up at his stand. There are lotsa yotes around this area and you can't really hunt them because you can't hunt at night and you seldom see them in the daytime despite him getting these in the daytime. Two big males and tell me they wouldn't do a job on a deer? He shot one with the ML and then the other came back about 20 mins later and he gave him the same treatment.
IMG_9493.jpeg

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I've seen the bed of his truck after he has baited. It usually has a box of empty cans in a cardboard box like this. They are pull top lids. Pate is best.

View attachment 75183
Snakeskinner, I am thinking of getting started on coyotes since I heard a pack couple evenings ago only 100 yards or less from my new most-promising deer stand. Does Josh using put out the full 32 cans couple days before hunt? Also how much dry dog food is put out and how far in advance? Like putting out corn for deer, I would imagine there are no hard/fast rules re: how long it takes the targeted species to discover the bait, but some general guidelines might help. Thanks to Snakeskinner and others for some outstanding info to us beginners.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
It's only a few days before he hunts it. He uses them all. You have to be careful because you don't want your scent there so once you put it out don't go there before you hunt until you bait it again. Don't go check a camera that you might have there either because they are just too wary. He also uses blackout cameras because they are freaked out over the non black out cams. They always come in down wind so you will have to have a crosswind cause you will seldom be able to judge how far to get downwind cause you don't know how far they will circle downwind before coming to the bait. Secondly never mix baiting and calling. He tried that once and they circled downwind of him calling and picked him off. If you use a remote caller then you will be taking your scent into the baited area to place the caller. He's considering getting a phone scope adapter for the ATN scope so he can keep an eye on what is going on without putting it up to his eye.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
It's only a few days before he hunts it. He uses them all. You have to be careful because you don't want your scent there so once you put it out don't go there before you hunt until you bait it again. Don't go check a camera that you might have there either because they are just too wary. He also uses blackout cameras because they are freaked out over the non black out cams. They always come in down wind so you will have to have a crosswind cause you will seldom be able to judge how far to get downwind cause you don't know how far they will circle downwind before coming to the bait. Secondly never mix baiting and calling. He tried that once and they circled downwind of him calling and picked him off. If you use a remote caller then you will be taking your scent into the baited area to place the caller. He's considering getting a phone scope adapter for the ATN scope so he can keep an eye on what is going on without putting it up to his eye.
Thanks for the additional details Snakeskinner. There are certainly a lot of critical success factors to keep in mind.