Help with coyote set up

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I have a landowner that wants me to go after some coyotes and I wouldn’t mind extending my season some. I have never really messed with them but I went out with my brother the other night and it was pretty fun. We called one in after about 15 mins but couldn’t get a shot off.
Ive got a fox pro, a few decoy hearts with duck wings and squirrel tails on them and my AR. Seems like better success is had at night so I’m looking at adding a light, thermal isn’t in the budget. Looking at the Orion M30c in red. What am I missing? What is a good basic set up?

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
In my limited experience, coyotes are very dumb and easy. Once. Screw up on a coyote and you’ll never find a tougher opponent. I preferred red light over green, but that seems to be a hotly debated topic. Make sure the one that comes in wanders off on his own or takes a dirt nap. Don’t get made. But again, that’s in my limited experience.

Birdman

Six Pointer
I can tell you from a lot of experience.....sell the lights (red, green, white) and get a thermal....they don't like the lights period! Being doing it for 10 years and coyote vocals will get them in 9 times out of 10 versus any rabbit sound they make on the Foxpro...killed one earlier this evening....male coyote scream after 3 series of rabbit distress...

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Thermal just isnt in the budget especially for something I'm not going to do all that much. Don't get me wrong they are awesome but so are a lot of other things for that price.

Acorn1956

Six Pointer
I also couldn’t afford thermal so I purchased a Sightmark Wraith night vision scope for my AR and with an upgraded IR light. I can see clear enough to identify out to 500 yards and clear enough to shoot out to 300 yards. Cost around $350 for the Wraith.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
"night Crew" has some videos for basic information on how to use lights and how to setup on hunting coyotes at night with white light.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I have to tell you the only experience I have is what my son tells me and he has only shot two (with one shot). They are wary of any color light. He even had to switch to his black out trail camera because they freaked on the red light trail cam. Even with the black out he has to bait them more than 30 yards out. He baits them with cat food and dog food. Based on his trail cam pics they will come in the next night after baiting in a field and just be lazy and play the rest of the night in the same spot. He borrowed a thermal set up from a friend and watched 7 at the bait site before two lined themselves up and he got them both. Since you are able to bait you might consider baiting them to get them coming in to one spot. The other night he called them in with a "pups" call but they were too smart and looped around to get his wind and it was game over. If you call you might have to try to keep them from getting behind you or at least get them before they do. We are going to go ahead and get a thermal but will probably only spend $1000. Hope to be able to post some videos later.

Birdman

Six Pointer
Snake skinner give us a review on that scope once you have tried it...I have a pulsar and love it and I am looking to get something for scanning...coyote hunting with a thermal and a call is by far the funniest hunting I have done...there is a huge learning curve and once you figure the yotes out you can get them in close

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Snake skinner give us a review on that scope once you have tried it...I have a pulsar and love it and I am looking to get something for scanning...coyote hunting with a thermal and a call is by far the funniest hunting I have done...there is a huge learning curve and once you figure the yotes out you can get them in close

Son got it done last night. This is the second one in a week in the same location. He actually missed one because of a scope issue a few days before. This is the same spot where he witnessed 7 lounging around a bait site. The one he shot last week was fatal (he's sure) but it got away from him before it died and he couldn't locate it. The site is baited with dry dog food and sometimes wet cat food. When they enter the field where the bait site is they always circle downwind and still approach very cautiously.

The scope is the ATN Thor LT 160 4-8x. It is mounted with the ATN mount and though it looks backwards, that's how it is mounted according to ATN. There are no other cantilever mounts that are reasonably priced that will work with the ATN because the turret mound is too long. The first shot to sight it in was 3 feet low at 50 yards. To sight it in we had to really roll the crosshairs down. This would definitely be a no-no on an optical scope but the ATN is essentially a thermal camera with a small lcd monitor. Even so the reticles are really low on low power but centered on 8x. After the range visit we read the guidance from ATN that recommended that this scope be mounted with the lowest rings possible. We did find a couple of images of this scope mounted on an AR platform that showed it mounted low. We are looking at other options to correct the issue (even though it shoots fine) including a 20moa rail along with lower rings. I'll post back up if we make that change.

IMG_8625.jpeg

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Son shot his 5th one at the "baited" site last night. Remember, he had previously seen 7 lounging around this bait site. We are finding out that the Hornady match ammo with BTHP shoots great but performs bad on game. He shot this one four times and still had it run off. He says baiting is the way to go if you are hunting the same spot. Calling will bring them around downwind in a wider loop than baiting. When baiting they still approach from downwind even if the baited area is in sight. He said they don't seem to swing as wide when calling is not used.
Anybody want to trade a box of Hornady Black match ammo for Hornady Varmint Express?

Birdman

Six Pointer
Thanks snakskinner for the review I am looking into it for a scanner. I have called 13 so far and it would be far easier with a scanner versus looking with the rifle.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Yeah son checks scope every 5 mins or so. Says it really gets you going when you finally look into the scope and see one. I can't find any varmint ammo and we need it bad.

Birdman

Six Pointer
Wild Indian gun store in Goldsboro had plenty of .223 ammo last Friday most of it was FMJ but he did have sum varmint loads

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
If you have a decent number you’re trying to get rid of a half dozen traps would probably be easier. Where are you located?

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Found some Nosler Armageddon. Took it to the range and it shoots well so shouldn't have any problems with them walking away now. Wind won't be right until next week.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
In my limited experience, coyotes are very dumb and easy. Once. Screw up on a coyote and you’ll never find a tougher opponent.

But again, that’s in my limited experience.

It may be limited, but it's accurate.

Pup season is coming up. This is my best calling season bar none.

Pup in distress brings in territorial pairs, sympathetic mothers and other pups.

But I only get about two Saturdays of it before the remaining living wise up.