• Just a heads up for those of you who use Tapatalk to access NCH&F. I will be removing support for that app effective immediately. The reasons are many, but the primary one is that it allows spammers to post here without first being authorized to do so. This, coupled with their increasingly aggressive and invasive ads and pop ups, has caused us to remove them from the site entirely.

Help with coyote set up

surveyor

Ten Pointer
And if you bring in a litter while calling, shoot the one most likely to make an econazi go "Awwww, isn't it cute," first.

That's my priority ranking. Cute down to butt ugly pup.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
New video of our range trip yesterday. Probably need to add an adjustable/collapsible stock. Any suggestions on a good one that doesn't have any wobble and suitable for accurate shooting?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hogue is a good stock, very tight and wobble free. Also pretty darn expensive for what you get.
A couple of well placed auto rated velcro strips will typically tighten up the less expensive stocks.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Got another from the same stand. That is 8 from the same stand. There is actually one more left because it has a broken right leg that he has seen on camera. This one had a broken left leg. This pack ran on gamelands around Butner. Son hunts private land adjacent to gamelands. Should see the fawns rebound. He got no fawns on camera last year.
IMG_8846.jpeg

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In my limited experience, coyotes are very dumb and easy. Once. Screw up on a coyote and you’ll never find a tougher opponent. I preferred red light over green, but that seems to be a hotly debated topic. Make sure the one that comes in wanders off on his own or takes a dirt nap. Don’t get made. But again, that’s in my limited experience.
If you think yotes are easy wait to you run into gray fox, they will crawl in your pocket.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Contributor
I have a friend on the lake outside Butner who borders the game land. He has killed around 20 on his place at night using a thermal setup. Last week he was out and had 15 in the field at one time. And I thought he was putting a dent in them.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Josh got the last one last night. This is the female with the broken right leg. He'll keep the camera out but this was the last one showing up. Baiting with dry dog food and then wet cat food a day or two before you hunt with a favorable wind has worked great.
63953947078__4F725594-7DC7-4FF7-98BF-38CBCD5ED8B3.jpeg

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
My son never got turkeys on his camera at the location he shot the coyotes. He now has a couple gobblers and a hen on camera and is hunting it this morning.