Help: stuck ball in traditional percussion lock

Thread starter #1
After hunting with my 50 Hawken Woodsman, I normally go home and just unload by firing into a backstop.

Today I got rained on quite a bit, and when I got home I tried 4x with caps but could not get it to fire. (maybe my powder got wet?)

Haven't tried the ball puller which I have because everyone tells me its near impossible. Others recommend CO2 discharger but I don't know here to get the right one.

Its leaning up against my wall driving me crazy.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
After hunting with my 50 Hawken Woodsman, I normally go home and just unload by firing into a backstop.

Today I got rained on quite a bit, and when I got home I tried 4x with caps but could not get it to fire. (maybe my powder got wet?)

Haven't tried the ball puller which I have because everyone tells me its near impossible. Others recommend CO2 discharger but I don't know here to get the right one.

Its leaning up against my wall driving me crazy.
Ball pullers work fine.....just need to be sure you have a rod with strong leverage...like a T-handle screwed on the end, etc.
Always pulled my loads after each & every hunt, dumped the powder, kept things clean & dry.

Worst case, a grease zerk fitting screwed in place of the nipple, then just use a grease gun to force the load up the barrel out the muzzle...wipe out the grease, clean the bore with hot soapy water like normal, etc.

Last edited:

DarrinG

Button Buck
I just use a ball puller with a good stout range rod. Never had a problem. Usually helps to have someone help hold the rifle and the other pull the range rod. I usually load and if I don't shoot, I leave the load in the gun, cap off, hammer down, until my next hunt. If season is over I'll just fire the shot the last day. I use a patched round ball and use TOW Mink Oil for patch lube and it doesn't seem to affect the powder load even after being on top of the Goex powder a week or longer. However if you were in the rain and your powder is damp, youre gonna have to get it out...a ball puller usually works well for me.

Try 1 Shot's approach. After removing the nipple, use a toothpick or straightened paper clip to try to get some of the old powder out, then put a pinch of new powder under the nipple, replace nipple, cap and fire.

DarrinG

Button Buck
Good deal! Glad you got it out easy enough. I shoot black powder a lot. If you shoot enough with traditional style smokepoles, you'll eventually "dry ball" a round. I did so while shooting with a buddy back in the summer....talking, chatting about guns and such while loading. Lubed a patch, centered the round ball and pushed it home....and my range rod went deeper than it should have....then realized that I wasn't paying attention while talking and didn't load any powder but pushed a patched roundball home....dry-balled! I'd like to say that was the only time I ever dray-balled a round but its not. I've yet to have a good ball puller and a stout range rod not get it back out. Usually need a buddy to help hold the rifle or pull the rod, but it hasn't failed me yet.