Help requested for call strategies

robertfurr530

Going hunting opening day for the first time. What are some good calls to start out with on a box call in order to get an early morning response and possibly draw them from the roost to the field? Any tips are welcome!

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My experience, with just starting out especially, use the calls sparingly. No more than a few soft yelps, clucks or purrs every 15 minutes. As dawn breaks, or he starts gobbling, give him a few soft hen yelps...just enough to get his attention. Then shut up and wait.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
try any call you can make and see which one he likes. you never know.
sometimes it is best to wait until he flies down to really call alot to him but sometimes you need to call hard while he's on the roost.

you have basically asked a chicken and egg question because of all the variables involved.

just don be afraid to spook him with your calling. he cant reason that you are mocking a turkey in an attempt to kill him.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Just get out there and give it a go. Don't be scared of screwing up, because you're going to anyway. We all do... Time in front of turkeys, is the best strategy. They'll school you;)

sent from wherever I is

wshields

Just get out there and give it a go. Don't be scared of screwing up, because you're going to anyway. We all do... Time in front of turkeys, is the best strategy. They'll school you;)

sent from wherever I is

EXACTLY!!!! and have fun!

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
its probably a fact you will call too much... like these guys said get out there and have fun its going to be a learning experience. Just remember, in nature, the hens usually go to the toms. so you have to entice him in. Don't call back everytime he gobbles. Just let him know your there.. then make him go crazy by playing hard to get so he comes searching for you.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If he gobbles at your first clucks and tree yelps, it's been my practice to see where he goes when he hits the ground before doing any more calling. If he answers you, he has you pegged as far as where you are, so further calling is really not necessary most times. A few purrs or clucks will typically keep him in the right mood if he hangs up temporarily, but remember....no amount, or style of calling will kill every bird, every time.

Datrip

Six Pointer
If he gobbles at your first clucks and tree yelps, it's been my practice to see where he goes when he hits the ground before doing any more calling. If he answers you, he has you pegged as far as where you are, so further calling is really not necessary most times. A few purrs or clucks will typically keep him in the right mood if he hangs up temporarily, but remember....no amount, or style of calling will kill every bird, every time.

Yep right there ^^^^