Help picking out a tiller

buckandkelly

I want to buy a tiller for a small (as in VERY small) garden and random spots in the yard. I don't want anything to big, real expensive, or so powerful I can't handle it. My husband works ALOT and I try to do 99% of the yard work myself so he doesn't have to.

I don't mind buying a used tiller if someone around Raleigh has one for sale.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mantis is a very versitile little tiller...I've got one that I've had for several years and it's held up well.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used a mantis for nearly 20 years before it wore out this year. I bought a sthil tiller because the dealer was in my town vs. the nearest mantis dealer was 30 miles away. Otherwise, I'd have bought another mantis.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I'd also recommend the Mantis. Mantis makes three basic tillers - 2 cycle and 4 cycle gas engines and electric. If you don't want to mix gas and oil, get the 4 cycle. If you don't want to mess with gas and maintaining a small engine, get the electric. I have the electric one. I've had it for about 10 years without any issues. It's also quiet so if you can't sleep at night, you can till without waking anyone up.

Jaybird

Twelve Pointer
I live in the Triangle as well and I'm suspicious of trying to break new ground with a Mantis with all of the rock and clay we have (at least in my neck of the woods). Never used a Mantis myself so I can't say for sure, but I had a fair amount of trouble with a Husqvarna rear tine in my yard and it is a beast. Still had to go over the plot quite a bit to break up the soil the way I wanted. If you're tilling ground that's already been broken before and isn't over grown something small may get the job done. You might consider renting one the first time to make sure what you decide on gets the job done and isn't too much to handle.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
One word of note. Mantis tillers (as most mini-tillers) do thier best work moving BACKWARDS.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just bought a Mantis today partly motivated by this thread. $330 out the door. I haven't used mine yet but know enough people that have them to know they believe in them. They are little beasts. About 8 years ago I made the decision between the Mantis and the new Honda FG-100. I bought the Honda. What a POS. I finally corrected that mistake today.

straightline

Ten Pointer
If you have topsoil or somewhat soft dirt they are great. Red clay, rocky or hard packed ground they are useless.

Sent from my S4 via Tapatalk

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
If you have topsoil or somewhat soft dirt they are great. Red clay, rocky or hard packed ground they are useless.

Sent from my S4 via Tapatalk

What they said. It literally bounces on top of red clay or other hard surfaces. But, that's only been my experience with them.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My yard has the hardest, rockiest red clay I can imagine. If I am going to use the Mantis to dig a planting hole for a tree or bush I simply wet the area first, and the tiller does the rest. I quit using a maddux(pick hoe)when I discovered the Mantis can out dig me by a long shot. There is a bit of a learning curve, like using the guard to pull the tilled earth back out of the area you have already tilled to get a good 8-10 inches down in one area....but after using the larger 3 1/2 and larger tillers I can say that they beat you to death much worse, and don't do nearly the job of breaking up the harder soil. I love the way the tines reverse to build rows as well, that's a big plus.

buckandkelly

We do have some clay and rocks in our yard, but I don't think it's to bad. Should I get a 2 or 4 stroke engine?

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I went with the 2-stroke because they have been out there forever (engine made by Echo on the Mantis) and I have mix-gas always available due to my chainsaws. I don't know anything about their 4-strokes. Whatever you do, don't store it with gas in the tank. Run it dry before putting it up. Personally I always use non-ethanol gas in my small engines as well.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have the 2 stroke as well, its much lighter. I've never used any of the others so I can't speak for them.