Help me understand tipping the mate 15-20%

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like some of y’all haven’t done research on the boats you’ve been out on. All boats catch fish at some point and have hero shots for it, but some of the problems here don’t present themselves on certain boats, no matter what.

The "boat" I am talking about we went out on for 5+ years. It's a very well known boat and I'm sure there will be a group from this site going out on it on Friday.

Birdman

Six Pointer
I ain't sure about the triggerfish deal....but about 3 weeks ago some cold water pushed in on Oregon Inlet and want no tuna around, nothing but king mackerel and that's what all the boats had....

SUDDEN IMPACT

Eight Pointer
I've never paid anyone to take me fishing....until last weekend. I took my boys out of Holden Beach with Rigged and Ready. We had a great time, my friend Jonathan was our Captain. He worked 120% to make sure we had a great time and that we were on fish. I never thought twice about it, when I gave him a nice tip. He earned it. The bad part is, I liked it so much I wanna go back this fall. Here they are doubled up.

Attachments

• holden.jpg
    holden.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 33

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have been out a dozen times ….. never batted an eye on price…. Just went fishing with my friends, paid the bill and tip….. I personally may never go again…. Depends on the friends!! I hate sucking diesel fumes all day…deep sea fishing sucks in my opinion….tuna fishing may troll 3 hours for one bite…... slow day of fishing and your on a long boat ride….I would rather be on the lake or in shore where I can load up and leave when ready!! If 50-100 bucks tip worries you….. stay on dry land….. easy peasy…..

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Some of you would be proud of me…

yesterday, the guy who cuts my lawn was working hard. It takes about an hour for him to cut my lawn. I’ve learned in this thread that the going rate to tip a hard worker on top of their base pay is about $30 per hour. So I paid him $75 rather than $45.

my lawn looks the same, but now I know that he’ll want to cut it again

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Some of you would be proud of me…

yesterday, the guy who cuts my lawn was working hard. It takes about an hour for him to cut my lawn. I’ve learned in this thread that the going rate to tip a hard worker on top of their base pay is about $30 per hour. So I paid him $75 rather than $45.

my lawn looks the same, but now I know that he’ll want to cut it again

You didn't tip his mate?

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have been out a dozen times ….. never batted an eye on price…. Just went fishing with my friends, paid the bill and tip….. I personally may never go again…. Depends on the friends!! I hate sucking diesel fumes all day…deep sea fishing sucks in my opinion….tuna fishing may troll 3 hours for one bite…... slow day of fishing and your on a long boat ride….I would rather be on the lake or in shore where I can load up and leave when ready!! If 50-100 bucks tip worries you….. stay on dry land….. easy peasy…..
Little over 2 hours on the water and we caught 18+ tunas.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Little over 2 hours on the water and we caught 18+ tunas.
I respectfully will say I smell a little bs on that but I have had great days out there too! Just not my thing….. I’m not knocking it for anybody else…. Fish on brother!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I respectfully will say I smell a little bs on that but I have had great days out there too! Just not my thing….. I’m not knocking it for anybody else…. Fish on brother!

it happened,, (y) , seen the proof and the early return from fishing,,, from what I heard and seen the tuna were on fire,,,,:cool:

especially for them boys using electric reels,,,,,,,,😲:taz::fishing:

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I gotta disagree on bottom fishing sucking. The only thing I would like more is getting into a mess of dolphin. Trolling for tuna or billfish isn't my thing.. It's just wasted time. Gimme a box full of tile fish or snapper or grouper any day.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
it happened,, (y) , seen the proof and the early return from fishing,,, from what I heard and seen the tuna were on fire,,,,:cool:

especially for them boys using electric reels,,,,,,,,😲:taz::fishing:

What boat has electric reels? Seems to be the best way to get them away from the sharks

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
I prefer to bottom fish for dinner, but am guilty of trolling between sites.

I really only pull lines for wahoo and gaffers if the conditions are right.

it’s easy to scoop a few slingers while bottom fishing just drifting a live bait and then casting to any others swimming alongside once hooked up

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We passed the fishing frenzy heading back in and left it in our wake. This was about 15-20 minute after we started back to shore.

Attachments

• 864B8FCC-A55F-4E58-B00A-86D745B5ED4D.jpeg
    864B8FCC-A55F-4E58-B00A-86D745B5ED4D.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 21

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I gotta disagree on bottom fishing sucking. The only thing I would like more is getting into a mess of dolphin. Trolling for tuna or billfish isn't my thing.. It's just wasted time. Gimme a box full of tile fish or snapper or grouper any day.
^^ this , Myself and several of my good friends would rather bottom fish than troll. anyday , give me bottom fishing.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
^^ this , Myself and several of my good friends would rather bottom fish than troll. anyday , give me bottom fishing.

unless chasing pelagics, I like to troll to the spots.

as a kid I did my share of sunny day spanish trolling off the beach or dolphin chasing in a tiny skiff, but that was just meat fishing, too. But if you want to fill the box, bottom fishing is where it's at.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
It is not easy work and do not think for a minute they are making that everyday. You have blow days, engine issues and one storm can wipe out an entire month of income. To start with you do not get paid for any prep work. Prep work normally starts in the winter when the boat is pulled and you start scrapping, washing, repair work and painting. Average day you wake up at 4:00. Go to ice house and load up three barrels of ice. Ice boat and get ready for clients. Rig baits, fish, educate and entertain all day. Get back to dock around 5:30 or 6:00pm Wash boat, repair tackle and rig baits. Some evenings you have to change engine oil. If you do not understand the importance of tipping the mate you are better off purchasing your own boat. Everyone in the industry understands the hard work and importance of a charter mate and wants them to be properly rewarded.

Last edited: