• 59D52BD3-B91E-4E47-933C-138D029A04A1.jpeg
    59D52BD3-B91E-4E47-933C-138D029A04A1.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 38

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Did they work any less hard for you?
What about on the other side of it?

Put deer or turkey?

You book a trophy deer hunt or turkey hunt..

After a day of hard hunting you have seen no deer or turkey. Same thing for day 2!

You plan to give him a big tip?
After 2 days you feel tired and hurting. ...
You plan to pay him for the hiking trip and ATV ride?

I did not know that the mate was there to clean the fish.

Last few trips they handed me my fish and thanks for letting them take me fishing.
Also been with guides that will not let you keep any fish. Talking legal fish.

Last edited:

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
What about on the other side of it?

Put deer or turkey?

You book a trophy deer hunt or turkey hunt..

After a day of hard hunting you have seen no deer or turkey. Same thing for day 2!

You plan to give him a big tip?
After 2 days you feel tired and hurting. ...
You plan to pay him for the hiking trip and ATV ride?

I did not know that the mate was there to clean the fish.

Last few trips they handed me my fish and thanks for letting them take me fishing.
Also been with guides that will not let you keep any fish. Talking legal fish.

If I feel he worked hard trying, absolutely. But I hunt and fish wild game, not a canned deal, so I understand that sometimes despite best efforts, you may not kill an animal and fish may not be biting

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Almost everywhere I’ve fished, the fish cleaning is a whole separate operation. On some of the charters I’ve been on we would have waited a LONG time for the mate or captain to have cleaned all of the fish we caught. We had to wait quite a while as it was and there were 3-4 guys cutting and slinging fish as fast as they could.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
5g485k.jpg

medical cardiologist for doctors,,,
your legal cardiologists for lawyers
your business cardiologist for them business types,,
your hero cardiologist for us postal workers,,
and so it goes,,,

the most important ones are the piscatorial cardiologists,,, you know, for them fellows who can't figure out tipping,,,,

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
You truly want to see how tipping has gotten out of hand go on an international hunt. You better get everything in writing and make sure your contract is clear on tipping. Skinners, trackers, cooks, maids, etc. will come out of the bush from nowhere looking for a tip on your departure day. I even had a gardener come up to me one time looking for a tip.

When you charter a boat in NC it is well known that it is customary to tip mate 15-20 percent of charter. You need to factor that into the cost of your trip. If you can not afford that it is better not to charter the boat.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
If you are a booking a trip it is best to always ask your Outfitter how his guides get tipped. Most reputable Outfitters will set you straight. People have different financial situations. You would be surprised how many big game hunting guides get tips in the tens of thousands every year. Especially when your client is hunting a bucket list trophy. You know you have done a good job when your client has harvested a nice animal and he or she gets emotional. It really makes it worth while when you know they appreciate it. Good clients are what make this a great job. You build relationships in this business and make lasting friendships.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If you are a booking a trip it is best to always ask your Outfitter how his guides get tipped. Most reputable Outfitters will set you straight. People have different financial situations. You would be surprised how many hunting guides get tips in the tens of thousands of dollars every year. Especially when your client is hunting a bucket list trophy. You build relationships in this business and make lasting friendships.

exactly,,,,,

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
If you are a booking a trip it is best to always ask your Outfitter how his guides get tipped. Most reputable Outfitters will set you straight. People have different financial situations. You would be surprised how many big game hunting guides get tips in the tens of thousands every year. Especially when your client is hunting a bucket list trophy. You know you have done a good job when your client has harvested a nice animal and he or she gets emotional. It really makes it worth while when you know they appreciate it. Good clients are what make this a great job. You build relationships in this business and make lasting friendships.
Well said

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
So when gas hits $4 soon and the price of a charter goes from $2200 to $2500, how much more are you going to tip the mate?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
So when gas hits $4 soon and the price of a charter goes from $2200 to $2500, how much more are you going to tip the mate?

there's a reason it's a % in ALL fields, not just charter trips,,, it's based on TOTAL cost,,, because as that $4 gas hits it's not the only price increase - that mate has costs as well

but hey - no one is twisting your arm to pay a certain amount - it's recommended/suggested by most boats I've been on but there ain't no Guido waiting to break your legs if you don't pay up (or maybe because I pay a good tip ol' Guido don't come see me,,,,)

so you do you,,, I just don't see how what anyone else pays affects you,,,,,,,

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
When the total cost has taxes added, do you normally tip on the tax?
When you give your Tithe to the church is it take home or gross pay? do you Tithe any and all bonus money/value?

Tip how you feel, when the trip costs $2500 tip accordingly, when its $1500 same, i dont think i have ever tipped based on the tax included but i also normally dont ask for a detailed receipt

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
When you give your Tithe to the church is it take home or gross pay? do you Tithe any and all bonus money/value?

Tip how you feel, when the trip costs $2500 tip accordingly, when its $1500 same, i dont think i have ever tipped based on the tax included but i also normally dont ask for a detailed receipt
Im all good with tiping.
Do it all the time. Most the time I tip better when there is no one saying I need to tip 15 or 20%.

Happens all the time. They come to the table and say they have added 15% to the ticket. I ask why they sais it is normal and standard. I ask why? Tell them to let me determine the amount. By this time they are beside themselves.
Very happy to me told I must tip 15% 100$ dinner bill, 15$ tip.
Just was better than the 50$ I planned to tip. All over normal or standard policy tip.
I can't stand someone telling me what I should do with my money.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Thank you for taking care of that

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I don’t worry with their concepts - i tip as I prefer and it works for me

As dobber alluded to - places that “add it in” are not my style

I don't have much experience taking off shore fishing charters, but I have decades of experience on dive boats all around the world. Many dive masters or dive guides in the Indo-Pacific are living away from their families in dormitory style quarters where they are fed a notch over prisoners. We always tip substantially, because their base pay is weak, but too many Asians don't tip AT ALL. They act like the fee paid for the dive trip should cover everything. Because of how we tip, we get treated like royalty. Not that we're trying to take up someone else's slack (even though we are), we value hard work for a quality experience. We work hard for our money and we want to get the most out of our dive holidays & appreciate those who help make it better. We get taken to some spectacular dive sites away from the rest of the group as gratitude for tipping the dive guides & boat captain/mate well. It matters.

We have been places in the Caribbean where they automatically add a 15%-18% tip to the bill for your meal, so the help has absolutely no incentive to provide quality service. It shows too. I normally tip 20% at meals, so it's their loss. I like to avoid places with that policy if I can help it.

Jim