Hello All: New member Introduction, and question

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I live in Caswell and have hunted public land some. You probably looked at the area off hwy 62. Not worth your drive unless you bow hunt it before the crowds and dogs. There are a lot of small public land tracts scattered over Caswell that have some good hunting.

What part of AR are you from, I spent a lot of time in NW AR.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Welcome. I expect numbers on Caswell are deceiving. Caswell gets pounded by a few dog clubs. They kill a lot of deer. Since most hunt private land as well that joins GL deer are reported as killed on private land. But numbers are down and pressure is unreal.

I’ve never hunted but have ran my dogs and never had a problem finding deer. If you like to hear dogs this is good place to come.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Hello all,

I recently moved to Apex, NC. I am originally from Arkansas and grew up hunting public lands out there. I have spent the last few days driving around the beautiful back roads and woods NC has to offer. In my opinion, it is the prettiest of all the southern states. That said, I have checked out the following game lands for whitetail.
  1. Caswell (182)
  2. Jordan (304)
  3. Butner Falls (383)
Caswell seemed to show the most promise in terms of remoteness, I would imagine the pressure wouldn't be as intense as Jordan and Butner falls, am I mistaken? I understand Caswell has 3 day a week hunts, however this past years harvest numbers for the three listed above were, 182, 304, 383, respectively.

Are the deer numbers just not very high in Caswell? From the harvest numbers it looks like Jordan and Butner have healthier populations, but I imagine more pressure?

Final question, how is the whitetail hunting in Uwhairre? I plan on scouting out there soon.

I do not mind driving and I will be able to go during the weekdays, I will be primarily muzzleloading, if that helps.

I appreciate any information I can get, and I imagine questions like these get asked quite a bit on this forum, so thank you for your help.

-Desert_Hawg.
Living in apex you can kill all the deer you care to at Jordan or harris gamelands. Scout, get in a boat if feasible hunt the edges of the cutovers to mature wood and the natural lake funnels and youre good.

Remember on Jordan that YOU own the land between the lake and the houses, not the homeowners. You can Let them do the heavy lifting for you with their backyard feeding. :)
Look at the park boundaries as well. The deer will. :)

Jordan and harris are easy and convient to you versus the uwharries imo.
as for falls, the archery only section may be of interest. But it's full of deer elsewhere as well.

Welcome and Good Luck.

Desert_hawg

Four Pointer
Living in apex you can kill all the deer you care to at Jordan or harris gamelands. Scout, get in a boat if feasible hunt the edges of the cutovers to mature wood and the natural lake funnels and youre good.

Remember on Jordan that YOU own the land between the lake and the houses, not the homeowners. You can Let them do the heavy lifting for you with their backyard feeding. :)

as for falls, the archery only section may be of interest. But it's full of deer elsewhere as well.

Welcome and Good Luck.

Very nice, thanks for the information. I was looking at the onx maps of jordan and was thinking the same thing regarding the land between the land the homeowners. I will probably hunt jordan and harris regularly, and then maybe the other two I mentioned as just a change of scenery. I love the outdoors. Thanks again!

Desert_hawg

Four Pointer

Welcome and Good Luck.
I live in Caswell and have hunted public land some. You probably looked at the area off hwy 62. Not worth your drive unless you bow hunt it before the crowds and dogs. There are a lot of small public land tracts scattered over Caswell that have some good hunting.

What part of AR are you from, I spent a lot of time in NW AR.

I grew up in Fort Smith, AR. It is about 45-60 miles south of NW AR. I went to school at the U of A in fay I hunted the Ozark national forest growing up, nice public land set up there. The deer look bigger here from the photos I have seen. What were you doing in NW AR?

Desert_hawg

Four Pointer
Welcome. I expect numbers on Caswell are deceiving. Caswell gets pounded by a few dog clubs. They kill a lot of deer. Since most hunt private land as well that joins GL deer are reported as killed on private land. But numbers are down and pressure is unreal.

I’ve never hunted but have ran my dogs and never had a problem finding deer. If you like to hear dogs this is good place to come.

Yea the more information I am getting, the less appealing Caswell sounds. Thanks.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I grew up in Fort Smith, AR. It is about 45-60 miles south of NW AR. I went to school at the U of A in fay I hunted the Ozark national forest growing up, nice public land set up there. The deer look bigger here from the photos I have seen. What were you doing in NW AR?

I spent a minimum of one week a month there for close to thirty years. WM, Hunt, Tyson, PAM, and ABF in Ft Smith were my accounts. Unbelievable how that NW area has grown.

huntngolf

Six Pointer
Welcome, I've hunted Caswell gl a bunch and it doesn't appear to be the deer or turkey numbers as it used to be but if you are a bowhunter there is a large area where only archery is allowed and you want see the all the dog hunters walk under you right after you get settled in

Desert_hawg

Four Pointer
I spent a minimum of one week a month there for close to thirty years. WM, Hunt, Tyson, PAM, and ABF in Ft Smith were my accounts. Unbelievable how that NW area has grown.

Go figure, yea I am familiar with all of those! ABF administrative office is right by the high school i attended in Fort Smith. Yea it is unreal the growth that area has seen in the last 20 years, and it continues to grow. Wish razorback football correlated that growth with wins :ROFLMAO:. Hope you enjoyed your time out there when you went.

Desert_hawg

Four Pointer
Welcome, I've hunted Caswell gl a bunch and it doesn't appear to be the deer or turkey numbers as it used to be but if you are a bowhunter there is a large area where only archery is allowed and you want see the all the dog hunters walk under you right after you get settled in

Thank you sirrr.