Hedging video - old video on managing hedge rows

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
From 1942 but thought it might be helpful to anyone looking to manage their hedge rows for wildlife, keeping livestock contained, or better field/forest management:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
An interesting piece. I can see a lot of use for that in years past to provide browse, maintain domestic animals without the expense of fencing, habitat for small game but I can't name a single person whom I know that would even begin to spend that much time and energy. In the opening shot I was seeing all those hedge rows and thinking how quickly they would have been bulldozed today.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Lasttombstone- you know me. what i did was different though ...... my cuts were 2-3 ft high and you lay the tree over.....what little i saw of this video they were cutting them low and using stakes.....all of mine was done with trees hinged over to make a fence or a thick area.

I used to do that on my land in Alamance....

I did it in several areas ..one had a bunch of sweetgums(20ft tall) and the honey suckle vines had grown to the top and the deer could not get that browse. I hinged them over which brought those high green clumps of honey suckle down and then they spread along the cutdowns. it turned into and awesome rabbit spot and deer spot.

One other one i did was bordering a neighbors property where there were openings between trees, enough to let 4 wheelers through....this fence would not let a 4 wheeler through it......

I did it in a couple more spots as well.... works well especially if a few of the trees already have Honeysuckle vines on them.

Last edited:

NC-Ratler

Four Pointer
I could see that being prime habit for rabbits. They mentioned once completed very little maintenance and creates a lot more habitat improving both field and treeline. Sometimes nothing wrong with old school.