Heck of a trout bite today

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Our fishing on this side of the Pamlico Sound is finally getting right. Had a good solo mission yesterday with 18 trout and 1 bass. All the trout were keepers with majority being nice fish. Talked to several others who also had good to excellent catches. Some big girls showing up too. Was beginning to wonder if there had been a trout rapture.

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
Haven’t been recently but warm weather this week think Ima go try it tomorrow if nothing changes . Water temps should be jumping now with these warmer days and night time temps staying up

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
62-66* where I’ve been fishing last 2 weeks. I expect upper 60’s/low 70’s water by end of next week. Will start focusing on topwater momentarily.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
^^ i'm mighty partial to a spook, but also throw a chugbug pretty often. Red and white on the color is where i start 95% of the time

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I like a black/gold Spook Jr., 808 Top Dog Jr and Top Pup, and hot chartreuse or bone Skitter Walk.

Last edited:

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Dark back, silver sides and orange belly (808) will get it done. That is my first throw of a Mirrolure for topwater.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
We fished yesterday afternoon. Dang wind was 90° off the forecast direction and blowing 4 times as hard as they called for🤣
Few short strikes on a spook, boated a few on a jig. Jr got the first flounder of the year.
Our fish were finnicky as heck yesterday overall.
Did get to see a freaking hog speck go airborne. Not sure if she was chasing bait or being chased by a dolphin or shark. Cool sight to say the least, it isnt every day you see a 10# trout jump.

careyhamil

Eight Pointer
I’m new to fishing in the innercoastal, and new river areas. I’ve only been able to catch a few reds and flounder. Can someone point me in the right direction of what to look for when going after trout/reds and hopefully stripped bass. I catch a few fish here and there but have never had a real good day on the water...well any day on the water is better than a day at work.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Flat covered some water Saturday and Sunday. Fished a total of 10 different creeks on the Pungo, Goose Creek, and Bay River. Saturday I fished solo and caught 25-30 trout with the vast majority being short fish, largest only 18". Sunday I had two good fishermen with me and we only caught 16 trout, again most were short with two 17-18" fish. About half of the creeks fished held plenty of bait, although not very active at all. No blow ups, no bait showers, no signs of gamefish feeding. Things should really improve after next week if forecast is accurate. Days mid-70's/low-80's, nights mid/upper-50's. Water temps should jump and so should the fishing........I hope.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
^^ we fished both days also. Very similar numbers of trout but caught about 15 flounder between 15-21". Trout bite shut off about 3pm on saturday like someone had flipped a switch.
Sunday was just slow overall. I did a little scouting and lost one 3# speck at the boat in an hour and a half.
We did real good on 3 or 4 trips earlier in the week. We had steady trout action, a few drum every day on jerkbaits, and a few nice flounder every trip.
Most of our trout have been caught in 12-14' of water over bad bottom.
Little man lost a 18-20lb drum on trout gear earlier in the week.

redbow

Ten Pointer
I've been catching good numbers at the mouth of the Bay river. Still quite a few short fish. Spook jr early and zman under popping cork jave worked for me. Also been catching reds with a few in the slot.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Caught over 100 specks in April.....with only 5 or 6 being 18". Haven't been yet in May due to various reasons, but not feeling like I'm missing a whole lot in the way of trout fishing. Lots of small fish and not many big ones around.....a few, but not many. Hearing some decent drum reports though. Oh well......will be a little while for me. I've got a lot going on.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Caught over 100 specks in April.....with only 5 or 6 being 18". Haven't been yet in May due to various reasons, but not feeling like I'm missing a whole lot in the way of trout fishing. Lots of small fish and not many big ones around.....a few, but not many. Hearing some decent drum reports though. Oh well......will be a little while for me. I've got a lot going on.

Like what?

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Last day we fished was saturday. Fishing was spotty until the tide started moving good. We had about 100 trout between 3 of us in about a 2 hour bite window. Most were 18-20" with very few shorts in the mix. Had a couple of slot drum also. Pretty good fishing overall lately although the wind has been keeping us off the water more than normal.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
We fished behind the house yesterday afternoon. Caught a few trout but the bite was tough. Plenty of fish, but they were eating small glass minnows and didnt want traditional offerings. We had to size the bait closer to what they were eating to get any action at all. Been kicking around the idea of taking some crappie grubs with me if we fish this afternoon to better imitate the 1.5-2" glass minnows they were feeding on.

Gus

Six Pointer
We fished behind the house yesterday afternoon. Caught a few trout but the bite was tough. Plenty of fish, but they were eating small glass minnows and didnt want traditional offerings. We had to size the bait closer to what they were eating to get any action at all. Been kicking around the idea of taking some crappie grubs with me if we fish this afternoon to better imitate the 1.5-2" glass minnows they were feeding on.

Fished Cedar Bush and the bridge yesterday morning. Really slow. Mostly shorts.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Fished Cedar Bush and the bridge yesterday morning. Really slow. Mostly shorts.
We had a handful of nice fish, but had to work for em yesterday. We had one trout that was 4 or 5 lbs, the rest were 18-20".
I ended up downsizing my head to an ⅛ oz and fished the middle of the water column. That seemed to get more interest than the lower water column and a heavier head for the bigger fish.