Heck of a trout bite today

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Like i said it's a bit outside my box but everything I'm seeing on the models point to a +pna a -nao and a cross polar flow......one of the best patterns I've seen in a couple of years if it happens. The GFS already has a small storm over us in 8 or 9 days but it will change around alot I'm sure.
No snow for sound or obx

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
If yall want to read the details here they are. From what I'm gathering this will pose the biggest cold shock threat to the trout fishery in a couple of years.

UH Shaggy we have you to tell us this. AFTER you get the details figured. This is TMI TMI. :)
I sure hope it isnt a lick on the trout. They need all the help they can get.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve not been much this winter for various reason, but not complaining. A few reports of decent catches but a whole lot more griping about no to few fish. Some big ones around on this side of the sound, but very few scattered fish.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I’m no meteorologist by any means and I don’t have access to any fancy software, but every weather app I have shows a very mild end of January and month of February.....as in 50’s and 60’s by day, mid-30’s at night. I honestly have a hard time trusting any forecast beyond 24-48 hrs, but I sure hope my apps are correct!

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I’m no meteorologist by any means and I don’t have access to any fancy software, but every weather app I have shows a very mild end of January and month of February.....as in 50’s and 60’s by day, mid-30’s at night. I honestly have a hard time trusting any forecast beyond 24-48 hrs, but I sure hope my apps are correct!

The models have been shaky at best with this pattern change. Run to run continuity was bad and as we.now get closer they getting colder and colder.

I still think we see a solid 2 to 4 week of pretty strong cold weather.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
The cold weather will come after duck season, and just in time to kill all the trout. They will close Trout, on top of the striper and flounder. The slot pups will take a beating, and then there will be nothing left. The End. Close the thread.

Probably pretty true

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
The cold weather will come after duck season, and just in time to kill all the trout. They will close Trout, on top of the striper and flounder. The slot pups will take a beating, and then there will be nothing left. The End. Close the thread.

Damn man. Sounds like I should be shopping for a Chaparral instead of a bay boat. :skeerd::panic:

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
So all my apps were correct 5 days ago. Amazing.

Maybe man the models are all over the place. The Euro had a run to run inconsistency of 33 degrees yesterday in just 12 hours. At 0z it had our temps in the 60s and at 12z for the same timeframe it had our temps in the low 30s with freezing rain.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
^^ nobody is fishing in my neck of the woods.
My last 15 or 20 trips, i might see another boat fishing every 6 or 8 trips.
Im still catching when the weather/wind gives us a window.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Fishing was pretty spotty for me this Fall. Caught some decent numbers and some big trout around Thanksgiving and a few mid December. I’ve not been since 2020. Spent my spare time in early January prepping my boat to make ready to sell. Closed the deal yesterday. :) I’ll hopefully be getting after them again very soon. I’m getting some good reports and chomping at the bit to go.

Last edited:

redbow

Ten Pointer
The bigger fish just haven't been as plentiful for me. Seems like they were gone by mid Dec in my neck of the woods. Last Monday and Tuesday i caught 94 with 6 being keepers (15"-18"). This past Monday ans Tuesday I struggled to catch 14, all shorts. Also the netters have been hitting the areas I fish pretty hard. There doesn't seem to be any more netters this year than last. They just seem to be hitting the same areas over and over again.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
The bigger fish just haven't been as plentiful for me. Seems like they were gone by mid Dec in my neck of the woods. Last Monday and Tuesday i caught 94 with 6 being keepers (15"-18"). This past Monday ans Tuesday I struggled to catch 14, all shorts. Also the netters have been hitting the areas I fish pretty hard. There doesn't seem to be any more netters this year than last. They just seem to be hitting the same areas over and over again.
I dont think we've caught a short trout in 8 or 10 trips on my end. Granted, we're not having 100 fish days either. Our best days over the past month have been 50 ish fish with maybe 1 short trout for the day.
Febuary on my end is typically better than january by a fair margin.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Helluva afternoon today. First time on the water this year. In only 3 hours of fishing 3 of us sacked up 18 trout w only 5 less than 18” and the biggest being 23”, 20 nice puppy drum w several 22-26”, 4 stripers one being 24”, 1 large mouth bass, 1 jack. Good stuff.

E2E3F1C1-7BF6-4740-A703-87558A1818AA.jpeg

Last edited:

PTman

Four Pointer
we fished all day yesterday and totaled 30 with only 6 keepers. they were still very scattered for us. only had 1 spot that we caught more than 2. biggest was 23". for you seasoned trout guys, are you now fishing further up the rivers or just in back of creeks off the rivers?

darenative

Twelve Pointer
we fished all day yesterday and totaled 30 with only 6 keepers. they were still very scattered for us. only had 1 spot that we caught more than 2. biggest was 23". for you seasoned trout guys, are you now fishing further up the rivers or just in back of creeks off the rivers?
Im fishing the warmest water i can find. Some days it's in the back of creeks, some days it's not. In my neck of the woods if it's not a day with full sun, as low as our water temps are, i will simply not fish.
I'm marking tons of fish suspended on cloudy days in deep water, but those fish on my end are not feeding. The sunny days after lunch, those same fish move shallow up toward the bank (into warmer water) and start to feed. A few more weeks the sun will be more intense and warm the water a little more in the shallows and the fishing will be more predictable in the creeks.