Heck of a trout bite today

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve not been able to go since 10/23. Looking forward to an attempted trout assault this weekend and a few days next week. Counting on this week’s cool weather finally moving them back into the creeks. Anybody here really gotten on them recently?

darenative

Twelve Pointer
^^ ours seem to be working into the creeks when the tide pushes in the bait. Water temp aint quite cold enough to keep em in there full time in our winter spots. Seems like the points and sloughs not to far from our wintering areas are holding more than the creeks are at this time. We need another 6° or 8° drop in water temp on my end to get things reliable.

redbow

Ten Pointer
I fished last week and struggled to catch 5 or 6 a day. Just too much freshwater from the rain. Hopefully no rain, NE wind and cooler temps will push them in.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Beautiful November day in ENC. After 10 days of Covid isolation I was chomping at the bit to get out. Did a solo mission as I figured no one would want to risk Covid for a few trout. Caught 21 trout, not a single one was short. I sure wish I had a partner with me today. Caught my biggest 28” 6.4 lbs and an hour later got another one to the boat that i honestly think was bigger. Netting a 28-30” trout solo ain’t easy. After feeling one hook pull, I had one decent shot with the net but couldn’t get it done. Fish made another hard run and pulled the last hooks. Oh well, thankful for the other big girl, great fishing, and beautiful day!

2B0042D0-D80C-4714-A8D2-AF56063C747D.jpeg4B9E8FEF-3AD3-4DD4-9A63-854A855783D7.jpeg

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Nice!!! We were hoping to get to Little Washington before Thanksgiving but it didn't happen...My buddy says they aren't doing that well, yet....Trying to be patient... :)

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not quite in the cold weather spots yet. Bites were pretty well scattered. Didn’t ever really feel like I got on a school.
let me know when you need a partner. I'm about ready to say the hell with work and deer hunting. We'll take my boat or yours.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
The trout fishing is really odd on the west side of the sound right now. I’m convinced the majority of the fish are just behind the OBX islands and on the beaches. They’ve not come across to go into the rivers/creeks for the winter yet. Water temps are 62-64* and should be in the mid/upper 50’s by now. Trout are just really spread out over here. I fished from 9:30-3:00 today to catch 16 and had 4-5 bites in a couple spots twice. Most of the fish are here and there. Several friends fishing today had similar reports. Not complaining, just saying. Come on cold nights and cool days!!!!

I did luck up and stumble across a 25 incher though.

922026F8-847A-4427-A60E-5F6E7150D95B.jpeg

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Nice!! I appreciate the updates as the wife and I want to head east and visit my sister and brother in law but we want to go when the time is right...Looks like this coming week will get colder, which should help push them east...In the meantime, I can stay busy either fishing these Piedmont lakes or working... :)

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
My son and I went out for a quick afternoon trip and caught a few nice fish. Fish are still scattered here and there but quality fish.
6Xp1hu3.jpg

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My brother in law drove up to go with a few guys in VA yesterday and they hammered them. They were trolling soft plastics. Hadn't really heard of that, does anyone here troll for them?

Anyway, they caught over 30 all good sized, with 4 over 25" including a 27"er. And they quit by 10:30. Sounded like a great trip.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
^^ Yes, at times. When the water gets cold, trolling can be an easy way to find the fish. I troll more from the kayak than i do the boat. Once ya find em trolling, you can usually work on em right good casting to em.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
^^ depends on the water temp. If the water temp is less than 50°, i'll troll 17mrs almost exclusively. The colder the water gets the slower your trolling speed needs to be. I have the best luck trolling at speeds between .6 to 1.25mph. If i'm in the boat, i'm trolling with the trolling motor and not the outboard.
What i'm looking for is 1 or 2 short strikes to give away the location of the school. After you get bit once or twice, go back and cast the area pretty throughly. Once you get the angle of presentation, retrieval speed, and color preference dialed in for that day it's game on.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Used to troll Yozuri and Rapala minnows. Like a miniature offshore spread. Two flat lines, 2 short riggers, one long shotgun. Haven’t done that in probably 15 yrs. As darenative said, it’s a great way to find them when the going gets tough.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Went with a friend this afternoon from 2 until dark. 11 trout....all keepers.....5 were 18-20”. No whoppers.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Haha trolling brings back memories. Way back in the day when I was in college at uncw.........I would trailer my Jon boat down to south port and fish the back creeks. I would always look for where jimmy price was trolling!!!!! If I saw him, I knew I was in the right area!