Heck of a trout bite today

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I admit, I feel like a quitter at the moment. Not even planning on going this weekend. Think I’ll hold off until I feel like the water has warmed up enough to get a dozen plus topwater bites. Maybe next week.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Trout fishing on the west side of the sound has been tough. I've been several times over the last 2 months, and had little to no luck. Frustrating to say the least. Been a few decent catches here and there by friends (or acquaintances) but nothing red hot. Old timer in Hyde County told me the water is still too cold for the trout to take up their typical summer routine. Hope it warms up soon.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Trout fishing on the west side of the sound has been tough. I've been several times over the last 2 months, and had little to no luck. Frustrating to say the least. Been a few decent catches here and there by friends (or acquaintances) but nothing red hot. Old timer in Hyde County told me the water is still too cold for the trout to take up their typical summer routine. Hope it warms up soon.
Been good on this end when the weather has let up. Littleman and myself had a couple of outings last week that we had 60 -80 fish in 3 or 4 hours. Mostly 18"+ fish with a few shorts, but not many. Also had a couple of trips that we had to work for a limit pretty hard.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Was beginning to think I may never catch another trout.....its been since April 11!!!

Had a solo mission in Hyde Co this morning and had excellent topwater fishing. Done by 8:45.

Caught 14 out 20 topwater trout bites; 1 topwater slot drum (released); 1 trout on MR17; 4 trout on Zman swimming trout trick. All the trout were 16-20”.

Beautiful morning!

520FF640-52E0-4E8D-9357-81932D5A47B7.jpeg189E8A71-A954-40E7-AB83-6DE56A043784.jpegA4A97799-5859-402B-BD10-99954A060D6B.jpeg

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
That, sir is one heck of a bag ! Especially done by 0845 !!!! Huuuge congrats to you !

You got to have fun, take home some really good eats, and saw a promise from God to all mankind in one morning. Can't beat that with a stick, sir. Well done ! (y) (y)(y)

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
Fished Hyde county Thursday and had 2 man limit of trout by 8 . Probably 10 shorts total but finally found seen decent ones. 5 or 6 flounder, 2 slot drum and one 22 inch rockfish.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Most aggressive topwater trout bite I’ve ever seen. Hooked most on first bite. Had one that tried me 5 times before hooks set. Hooked two that bit when the lure hit the water before I could even wind tight to make my first walk-the-dog action. Enjoyed my “me time” but wishing I’d had another angler or 2 w me. No doubt could have been 40-50-60 caught by 8:30. So good I’m headed back tomorrow w two experience trout cafchers + my daughters. Happy Fathers day!!!!👍

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
I went today and seemed like everybody was catching them. Tempted to go back tomorrow morning for a few hours

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Yesterday I returned to same area that I fished on Saturday. Even more bait there than Saturday, but the rays hd moved in. Saw a few Saturday but many more on Sunday. We caught 15 trout, 1 slot drum. That’s fishing....hard to believe the difference in 24 hours even considering we basically had the exact same conditions. A good time for the kids nevertheless. Great Father’s Day morning.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Fished an area this morning that I’ve never fished before. Pretty good topwater bite. Caught 23 trout 15-22”, 1 drum 23”. Happy the water temps have finally gotten to a point that makes finding these fish more predictable.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
How far off the banks are you guys fishing right now? I have been 50-100 yards off in 4' or water and havent been having any luck but my buddy just the other day was pounding the banks like he was flounder fishing and was catching them. Seemed odd to me.

Gus

Six Pointer
How far off the banks are you guys fishing right now? I have been 50-100 yards off in 4' or water and havent been having any luck but my buddy just the other day was pounding the banks like he was flounder fishing and was catching them. Seemed odd to me.

Often there will be a deeper 3'-4' slough right against shore off a flat.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t focus on depth as much as I do the presence of bait. I am looking for lots of jumping mullets and bait balls “showering”, and best of all the toilet flush slurps of fish feeding on top. When the water surface is calm, look for pop up slicks (caused by fish oils left when bait is being eaten). Any combination of these signs in anywhere from 1’ to 6’ of water, and I’m pretty confident I’m going to get bites. If no bait is visible but it’s a spot I know, I would probably fish shallower early in the morning....like the first 2.5 hrs of daylight. If it’s a cloudy day, I’ll continue to fish shallow. If it’s bright and sunny, I’ll move off the bank to slightly deeper water as things warm up.

Last edited: