Heck of a trout bite today

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Fished yesterday afternoon w/ a long time buddy. We've not done any hunting/fishing together in probably 20 years, so it was fun hanging out, reminiscing, and shooting the breeze.

We fished a couple different creeks for about 3 hours without a single trout bite before we made a run to try a spot that I've often had good luck finding big trout this time of year. Sure enough, they were there. From 3:45 until dark we moved maybe 50 yards and caught 5 and pulled off 2 others. 22.5", 24", 24", 25", and 27". The 2 that we lost were the same class of fish.

It's funny that while on the way to put the boat in, we talked about how we really didn't have high expectations for numbers of fish, and that we'd be happy just catching one big fish. Needless to say, we were tickled with our catch.

26C23C5A-7FE4-446A-A14D-6EC761AB16E0.jpeg49F9D8EF-80DD-495F-82F3-53BB9E68C52C.jpeg8D02FD63-CB82-4719-B75F-27B9BE2BC49B.jpeg

Last edited:

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Speaking of nets.......got a report today of netters raping the shoals behind Hatteras right now. One set supposedly had 325 trout in it.....lots and lots of 5+ pounders. Those fish aren't typically even there this time of year, but they've been there recently and won't be for long.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Speaking of nets.......got a report today of netters raping the shoals behind Hatteras right now. One set supposedly had 325 trout in it.....lots and lots of 5+ pounders. Those fish aren't typically even there this time of year, but they've been there recently and won't be for long.

Yep and that's OK because the commission has the comm side in their hip pocket

Can't wait to hear the zoom meeting next week for 2022 flounder. I'm sure the recommendation will be a full closure on the rec side

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Yep and that's OK because the commission has the comm side in their hip pocket

Can't wait to hear the zoom meeting next week for 2022 flounder. I'm sure the recommendation will be a full closure on the rec side
yes- all fishermen who dont mind a little "bycatch" of their own should pray that happens- maybe keep the rif raff at home in wake county.
Meanwhile you catch so many that invariably you deep hook some making you feel less bad about poaching. Pretty neat system.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
yes- all fishermen who dont mind a little "bycatch" of their own should pray that happens- maybe keep the rif raff at home in wake county.
Meanwhile you catch so many that invariably you deep hook some making you feel less bad about poaching. Pretty neat system.

I took a mile or so walk in October at Ocean isle. Saw 37 with at least 15 keeper size. I was dip netting live shrimp to fish with. It took all my might to leave them be, but I did.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Got in a little solo trout fishing Sunday afternoon. It started off kinda slow, mainly because I had never fished the area. But once I hit enough likely looking spots, I found enough to keep it fun. Boated 14 fish and I'd say 10 of them were keepers. Kept 4, and let the rest go, including the (2) 20" gals.
ZdMjxUV.jpg

gqIAIW3.jpg

2i99xvt.jpg

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Caught them pretty good Weds afternoon (22 trout) and Fri afternoon (19 trout 1 rock 1 crappie). Had things to do yesterday that kept me from fishing, but I’ve talked to 5 guys that went……5 boats, 10 anglers. Combined they caught 25 trout yesterday. Sounds like they just didn’t bite good at all. Next 10 day stretch includes a lot of cool days and below freezing nights. Fingers crossed we don’t see any significant freezing and stuns.

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
How bad is the ice/snow down around the pamlico? Next few nights and middle of next week gonna be mighty cold

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
1" of ice on ground in Bayboro. River and creeks didn't freeze. Water was 42 degrees wed around 10:00 am when picking up a few oysters for supper. Next couple nights going to be cool though.......

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
A friend of a friend fished this afternoon and caught 5. Hoping the ice/snow run doesn’t cause problems.

jbaldwin

Six Pointer
Low water temps and super cooled run off and cold temps may be problem for the fish way back in the creeks

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
Of course of all weeks , this week is the week i can’t sneak away from work. I can fish the weekend but looking like another front coming thru with temps back down in 40s and NE wind. Might go couple hours Saturday if wind isn’t too crazy .

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
They may very well bite on Saturday, post-front. I’m debating going. Was asked to fish in a tournament but I’m undecided.

In addition to the tournament crowd, I’m expecting a large number of boats fishing this weekend. Conditions won’t be ideal, but they’ll be far better than we’ve seen the last 3 weekends. Plus, there is no football on TV this weekend. People are tired of sitting around the house on their weekends.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
someone sent me a private msg asking if tourney is out of belhaven……yes. Sorry, I couldn’t figure out how to respond.