Heck of a trout bite today

Gus

Six Pointer
Man it's been tough for us to get on em the past couple of weeks. Waters been really low with the steady NE wind and a lotta trashy water has emptied out of the swamps- guessing that might be having some effect.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Caught some nice pups and a couple of short trout last Sunday here near the mouth of the Creek. Had a pure doormat shake off at the boat, released several more. For something so endangered they damn sure are plentiful....
Planning to try them again this afternoon if the weather breaks...

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Caught about 50 puppy drum today. 15 of them between 20” and 27”. Loads of fun, and completely unexpected fishing day since it was too cold for the ladies to suntan.
oGxTV58.jpg

2kYw7Z5.jpg

NaHyKZV.jpg

Last edited:

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Smart man Buxn!! That POS did the same to me, been making all I can while it's booming...I passed a milestone last week, paid my house off, so I no longer owe anything, other than monthly bills...Gonna try around Roanoke Island this week... :)

redbow

Ten Pointer
Dang Buxndiverdux that was one heck of a day. Never seen one with that many spots. Me and a couple buddies did okay on Monday with cut bait up against a wind blown bank.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Fished around Roanoke Island Monday and Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning, caught about 30 Tuesday and Wednesday, most on plastics...Lots of short fish but we would have had our limits if we had kept them...Also caught flounder, croakers and stripers...Didn't run into puppy drum, maybe we will find their haunts later in June...Good trip...

old school

Six Pointer
Cool fish! I see the 14 spots on the one side, so how many on the flip side? I caught one in the Pamlico River over 20 years ago that had 17. Pretty even with 9 on one side and 8 on the other.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Braved the NE wind yesterday afternoon in Hyde County, and had a fair catch of trout considering the conditions. She was howling. Most of the fish were caught from the bank. Always cool to watch them eat 15' from your feet.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Tough afternoon of fishing yesterday. The 15-20 southwest wind didnt make it any eaiser. Bluefish and pinfish were thick, and many soft plastic lures paid the price😂 I managed one keeper drum for 4 hours of fishing.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Decent fishing this morning. Water temps had dropped significantly, I assume due to all the rain we’ve had this week. Only had 3 topwater bites, 1 trout and 2 drum. Rest of fish all on 17 and Softdine. Caught a 22” and 23” and had a BIG girl thrash off 6’ from the net. Dang it.

349E0A4A-8748-4AA4-BF1C-72ABBDC07891.jpeg8E47BF37-ACA0-4C20-8125-8FA48D2EBFB5.jpeg

Last edited:

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Yall boys want to see some dang pretty specks, check out tradewinds tackle face book page. 2 or 3 BIG specks on there that have been caught down there in the last month. 😳

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Yall boys want to see some dang pretty specks, check out tradewinds tackle face book page. 2 or 3 BIG specks on there that have been caught down there in the last month. 😳

Nicens. Natural bait (dead and alive) seem to be the ticket. I always say I’m going to throw a net and get some live bait to keep one swimming behind the boat while casting artificials. Haven’t yet.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Nicens. Natural bait (dead and alive) seem to be the ticket. I always say I’m going to throw a net and get some live bait to keep one swimming behind the boat while casting artificials. Haven’t yet.
Took the fam on a kayak mission yesterday afternoon to do a little scouting over your way. Caught a handful of slot drum on spinnerbaits, a few trout on jigs, and a pile of flounder. Couldnt get a blowup on topwater to save my life. I pulled off one big trout on a jig beside the yak.
Little man lost a dang 8 or 10 lb flounder at a creek mouth. Fought him for about 10 minutes and got him to the yak 3 or 4 times and almost got em in the net on the last shot. Fish made one last run and got the line around his rudder and it parted.

Oh and damn the greenhead flies. I've never seen em as bad as they were yesterday over that way. 😳

Last edited:

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Took the fam on a kayak mission yesterday afternoon to do a little scouting over your way. Caught a handful of slot drum on spinnerbaits, a few trout on jigs, and a pile of flounder. Couldnt get a blowup on topwater to save my life. I pulled off one big trout on a jig beside the yak.
Little man lost a dang 8 or 10 lb flounder at a creek mouth. Fought him for about 10 minutes and got him to the yak 3 or 4 times and almost got em in the net on the last shot. Fish made one last run and got the line around his rudder and it parted.

Oh and damn the greenhead flies. I've never seen em as bad as they were yesterday over that way. 😳
I've caught quite a few keeper flounder the last two trips I've made. Good thing their's a shortage of them😂 and the green heads and no- seeums will eat you alive in southern pamlico sound

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I've caught quite a few keeper flounder the last two trips I've made. Good thing their's a shortage of them😂 and the green heads and no- seeums will eat you alive in southern pamlico sound
We still have to get together and go chase some rock this fall when we can keep em.
We blistered em a week or 2 back on topwater behind the house.