Heck of a trout bite today

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
For you trout catchers a question:
does your catch improve around the full or new moon?
the carolina sportsman mag has a trout column many months and in january the writer (he has a website devoted to trout)
detailed how his catches and his contact's catches showed improvement around the full and new moon.

Any of yall seen that correlation?
PS It's a full moon soon. :)

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I normally do a little better around the new moon vs the full on trout.
In my neck of the woods, we get a lot of blows that get cranked up around the full moon, so that impacts my full moon fishing days.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve never really kept track of how good, or not so good, the fishing has been relative to new moon vs. full moon. However, I’m a firm believer in using the solunar tables and always want to fish the major and/or minor whenever possible. Have never kept track of big fish encounters as related to the moon phases. Maybe I’ll throw a little notepad on the boat and start keeping track?

la angler

Six Pointer
I have not ever paid the moon phases much attention on catch ratios before. I will try to make a point to but it's been a strong bite last year and continues on including last weekend. The only slow day was after a 4"rain.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I caught a 2 man limit of 17-19” fish today on a solo trip. Great afternoon on the water. Also caught an 18" American Shad that I thought was the one for a few seconds. Hit like I hooked a sinking boat motor. :ROFLMAO:
WuIwYqH.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Four Pointer
Caught our 2 man limit in about a hour Sunday morning in Blounts Creek. It was so cold water had my first 3 eyelets froze with ice. Still had alot of fun ended up with about 20 caught all together not bad for a 1.5 hour trip. All would have been keepers though.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Caught our 2 man limit in about a hour Sunday morning in Blounts Creek. It was so cold water had my first 3 eyelets froze with ice. Still had alot of fun ended up with about 20 caught all together not bad for a 1.5 hour trip. All would have been keepers though.

Crazy how that works. All your fish were keepers. All my fish were keepers, yet it was loaded with 13-14's last time there. Sportsman found them in clean water, I couldn't get a bite until I found muddy water. Always a mystery it seems.

seedrooster

Eight Pointer
Crazy how that works. All your fish were keepers. All my fish were keepers, yet it was loaded with 13-14's last time there. Sportsman found them in clean water, I couldn't get a bite until I found muddy water. Always a mystery it seems.

It is still loaded with 13-14’s ....we caught over 50... did end up catching 10-12 that were real nice 19-20 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
It is still loaded with 13-14’s ....we caught over 50... did end up catching 10-12 that were real nice 19-20 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm positive the 13-14's are still there... I just didn't find them. :ROFLMAO: It's kinda silly... On the 40-50 fish trips I'm always wondering where most of the 18-19" fish are. On the days like yesterday, where every fish was nice, I was wondering where all those shorts were. Good problem to have I suppose.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Not positive the clean vs. murky water was the difference, but it seemed to be. Although we were fishing in 3-4’ of water, their presence may have had more to do with the close proximity to 8’ of water. Highly likely our success also had something to do with a good showing of bait in the area too. Goes to show, what worked yesterday won’t always work today.

Some days it’s a little more of a grind to find them. Just have to work a little harder to find them.

Example: several weeks ago in a well known big creek, we caught them at the mouth of nearly every small feeder creek that we tried. Right after the snow event, we couldn’t get a bite at the mouths of those creeks because they are what was draining the snow melt into the larger creek. Water temps were 10-15 deg colder at those drainage points.

I guess that’s what makes it fun. Ever changing conditions.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Kinda off topic, but I picked this up this morning.... :)

Hoping I can coax a few trout for a ride later....

I told the wife, I don't want to travel overseas or out west but I would like to spend a week or two just traveling eastern North Carolina fishing some of those rivers I grew up fishing but haven't had a lot of time to do so for the last 40 years or so..FD452182-323A-4C80-B49B-55F6DD1A1773.jpeg0D9A1F9D-2C02-4164-A64C-409B6779BE6B.jpeg..3DDB94E6-7F29-48F8-A8CB-57B1F5418AFC.jpeg