Heck of a trout bite today

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I’m worn out! Have fished 4 days this week in Hyde, Beaufort and Pamlico Counties. Caught 80+ trout, 3 stripers, 1 drum, 1 flounder with the lion’s share of the fish coming from one trip. All mid-day trips. Happy New Year!!!

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Is there a website or map that lists or shows what creeks can or can't be netted by the commercial guys. Put in at Bayboro yesterday and couldn't get away from all the nets.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Is there a website or map that lists or shows what creeks can or can't be netted by the commercial guys. Put in at Bayboro yesterday and couldn't get away from all the nets.
There aint too many up my way that cant be netted. The inland waters demarcation lines are the stopping point iirc.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns

I fished in Bayboro on Saturday, and counted 18 nets in about 2 miles on the Bay River. We did manage to find a creek w/ no nets and did well. Watched a recreational boat (Sailfish center console) set a net in the back of Chocowinity Bay last week, which is not even close to being in a legal area. Kicking myself for not making a phone call.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Inland waters line was the original line but some areas changed last year with the new rockfish regulations. I don't fish down there so not really sure exactly where the line is now.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty much everything in/off the Bay River is Coastal Waters, and netted hard.

The number of trout down there amazes me considering the numbers of nets (a friend counted 35 on Thursday last week) in place. I watched a pontoon party barge loaded w/ people catching trout literally between two nets, 100 yards each side of them.....they were fishing when we headed out from the boat ramp, and they were there 4 hours later still getting 'em.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
My buddy fished Vandemere yesterday. Said a guy came in on plane about 100 yards from him, and layed his net out still on plane. Then after his net was out commenced to going back and forth along the bank with his boat to stir the fish up. Gotta give him props on netting skills, but my buddy was a little aggravated 👍

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
That's how to do it for sure. A guy I know literally had to ask a netter to move his net last week to let him come back out of the back of a creek he had been fishing in. The netter was nice enough to move the net, and gave my friend a Natty Light.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
My buddy fished Vandemere yesterday. Said a guy came in on plane about 100 yards from him, and layed his net out still on plane. Then after his net was out commenced to going back and forth along the bank with his boat to stir the fish up. Gotta give him props on netting skills, but my buddy was a little aggravated 👍
That would get me bent out of shape also. A little consideration from either side goes a dang long way in tight quarters

nontypical

Ten Pointer
That would get me bent out of shape also. A little consideration from either side goes a dang long way in tight quarters
Definitely. He said the fish weren’t really biting good in that area anyways and they were about to pack it up and move to another spot. But he grew up in Hyde County fishing and netting, and he was impressed by the netters skills. It was crazy in Bay River though. Add about 25-30 boats and all those nets, wish I’d have went somewhere different.

Im still learning trout fishing!

PTman

Four Pointer
i fished this weekend, saturday we caught almost 170 and sunday we caught just under 80 before we packed up at lunch. we had to wade through a bunch of small ones but still managed quite a few 18 to 20" fish. definitely a much smaller class of fish than when i fished the first of the month but still a good time.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i fished this weekend, saturday we caught almost 170 and sunday we caught just under 80 before we packed up at lunch. we had to wade through a bunch of small ones but still managed quite a few 18 to 20" fish. definitely a much smaller class of fish than when i fished the first of the month but still a good time.
i think that trip gets past "heck of a trout trip"
Congratulations.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Had a decent afternoon today in Pamlico Co. Fished solo for about 4 hrs and caught 14 trout, 1 flounder. Always a surprise (for me anyway) to catch a flounder on a 17. 3 nice trout, the rest were all 13-16”.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
^^ I've had very few days where i could say the BG series caught better than the lumo series, but countless days of the lumos outfishing the BGs....fww

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
you guys have to be the best fishermen around to catch anything on that actionless piece of plastic. :)

I would love to hear mirrolure techniques as one day i want to catch a fish on one.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
^^ I've had very few days where i could say the BG series caught better than the lumo series, but countless days of the lumos outfishing the BGs....fww

My experience is the exact opposite. IMO, it boils down to what your most confident using as long as it’s Electric Chicken or Reverse Electric Chicken!!!!

darenative

Twelve Pointer
My experience is the exact opposite. IMO, it boils down to what your most confident using as long as it’s Electric Chicken or Reverse Electric Chicken!!!!
Yep.
EC 17mr has killed more trout than a cold stun.

The BNSBO color is my second favorite and a lot of days when they will short strike a bright EC, they will flat out destroy the BNSBO

darenative

Twelve Pointer
you guys have to be the best fishermen around to catch anything on that actionless piece of plastic. :)

I would love to hear mirrolure techniques as one day i want to catch a fish on one.

I find the colder it gets the less action they want in a bait..most of the time. If the water is below 48° I will give em a painfully slow straight retrieve with no twitch, just a pause for a few seconds.
Once you figure out the sink count after the cast and the bait action they want that day it's really easy to catch on mr baits.
The universal rule of thumb is if you think you are fishing it slow enough, slow it down more.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
EC BG w/ a white/pink/chartreuse treble feather w/ red hooks is my go to. #2 would probably be Mardi Gras BG w/ white/chartreuse treble feather w/ red hooks....maybe CHBL BG w/ white/chartreuse treble feather w/ red hooks.

I have several custom 17mr's also that do well too, but can't beat the EC or reverse EC.

Throw 17mr probably 80% of the time, but will throw 27mr too.

With rod tip pointed straight down at the water......Reel, twitch, twitch, pause.....Reel, twitch, twitch, twitch, pause.....and repeat. Vary the retrieve speed and the length of pause until bites come. It's key to know where the bait is at all times, and to not ever let your line get slack. You have to feel the bite. When I get a bite, I don't "rip lips", I keep rod tip down and just sweep back and reel and I'd guess my hook up ratio varies from 75% to 90% depending on how aggressive the fish are.

I'll admit, first fishing w/ 17's was intimidating to me even though I'd have some success with them. Embarrassing as it is, a friend's 14 year old son coached me up (schooled my ass!!!) on 17's one day and since then I've thrown 17's 100 to 1 over soft plastics while trout fishing.

Last edited:

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
The kid I talked about in my last post fished with me again today. I’ll put him up against any grown man that wants to compete with him trout fishing using mr17 lures! He wore me out 11 to 25! Last time we fished together he got me 16 to 18. But....today I was lucky enough to snag the biggest fish of the day.....25.5 inches and just shy of 5 lbs.

407533B7-E35A-4E7B-9D0D-58764D748E4E.jpeg

Last edited: