Heck of a trout bite today

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Yep. The guy in my post above motored/churned past us in a dead end creek at fast idle, got 100' ahead of me and deployed the trolling motor leaving the area around us a muddy mess. We left the creek and were fishing a point outside the same creek and 5 minutes later the guy is on top running out of the creek, sees us and runs 65- 75' ahead of us and kills the engine and deploys the trolling motor. That's about the time I could feel the vein in my forehead popping out and couldn't keep my mouth shut. The guy actually looked shocked that someone had balls enough to say something to him about it.
I've been fishing those same creeks for the better part of 40 years and it's only the second entitled DB that I've had to interact with.
To each his own but in that situation he needed an earful.
I suppose there is a kind way to get the point across but what fun would that be?
My last similar encounter was slightly worse in that he pulled past then worked toward me.
So he waked me up; then cut in front; then came towards me. All for the sake of a rocky corner in a tiny creek. Barely fifty yds from me.

So the conversation on my end was "Do you not know any better or do you just not give a poop?'
His response was classic. "How about I know better but dont give a poop."
My rejoinder was "Well that makes you just a piece of poop."

So silly but he does not get in the way now. :)
This is freshwater stuff, how yall survive in the salt with that zoo is beyond me.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
To each his own but in that situation he needed an earful.
I suppose there is a kind way to get the point across but what fun would that be?
My last similar encounter was slightly worse in that he pulled past then worked toward me.
So he waked me up; then cut in front; then came towards me. All for the sake of a rocky corner in a tiny creek. Barely fifty yds from me.

So the conversation on my end was "Do you not know any better or do you just not give a poop?'
His response was classic. "How about I know better but dont give a poop."
My rejoinder was "Well that makes you just a piece of poop."

So silly but he does not get in the way now. :)
This is freshwater stuff, how yall survive in the salt with that zoo is beyond me.
🤣🤣 think my guy and your guy are related

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Slow scattered bite for me this morning in a creek off the Pamlico. Slow, breezy, spitting rain, and cool made for tough fishing.

Edward

Four Pointer
Went Sunday am, it has slowed down alot in a week , managed 3 nice ones though, I caught 1 and my buddy caught 2 keepers.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, everyone I've talked to who has been trout fishing hard this summer/fall have agreed that it has slowed down significantly the last 10 days/2 weeks. The typical hot spots have been absolutely hammered. I have to wonder if the slow down in those spots is due to the fish having seen every make/model/color mirrolure, x-rap, z-man, gulp available over the last month?

I'm pretty confident they're stacked up in a few spots that I know, but the problem is everyone else knows the spots too. I just don't like jockeying for position with double digits boats within 150 yards of me.

Got my eye on a couple of creeks to try this weekend that have no boat ramps in them and require a pretty decent boat run. Will be a "hero or zero" trip.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, everyone I've talked to who has been trout fishing hard this summer/fall have agreed that it has slowed down significantly the last 10 days/2 weeks. The typical hot spots have been absolutely hammered. I have to wonder if the slow down in those spots is due to the fish having seen every make/model/color mirrolure, x-rap, z-man, gulp available over the last month?

I'm pretty confident they're stacked up in a few spots that I know, but the problem is everyone else knows the spots too. I just don't like jockeying for position with double digits boats within 150 yards of me.

Got my eye on a couple of creeks to try this weekend that have no boat ramps in them and require a pretty decent boat run. Will be a "hero or zero" trip.
those are the best kind of trips. Good Luck!

Edward

Four Pointer
Talked to a couple different outfitters taking people trout fishing and said they were having best luck with soft baits, which ones I don't know, didn't want to pry to much.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

do you ever wonder if the slowdown in those spots are due to most of the trout being dead, as in caught and ate versus just not biting?

darenative

Twelve Pointer
do you ever wonder if the slowdown in those spots are due to most of the trout being dead, as in caught and ate versus just not biting?
Na, the water temp has been up and down all fall. We need it to stabilize and the fish will be predictable. The water in my spots got up to almost 60 in the past week. Instead of being in the creeks our fish were suspended on points and drop offs in open water..same spots they were 6 weeks ago

redbow

Ten Pointer
We've still been catching them good but not as good. Also, a smaller class of fish on some days. Haven't seen as much rec or commercial pressure in one of my spots and I've also fished new, out of the way areas and found some fish. 17MR

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is it really that crowded down there in December?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
30 minutes friday for a nuese river friend. back home after catching a "stacked up limit"
He thinks next week will be fabulous with those hot daytime temps. :)
Good Luck for you if you go.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Fished 2 hours this afternoon and caught 9 trout and 1 striper in a creek off the Pamlico. Smallest class of fish I’ve seen all year. Ran several miles and saw 1 boat other than mine.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Me and a buddy caught 16 Saturday morning, 4 keepers. The bite fell off completely after 1:00. Saw probably a dozen other boats, which is slow for this particular creek.

Edward

Four Pointer
Went Saturday afternoon and caught a limit it was real slow, being a smart ass i put on a little white beetle spin and caught a 19" trout on 1rst and only cast. I thought I better quit while I was ahead.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Went Saturday afternoon and caught a limit it was real slow, being a smart ass i put on a little white beetle spin and caught a 19" trout on 1rst and only cast. I thought I better quit while I was ahead.
I caught trout and spot tail bass on one this year but it was in florida. the idiot bait of choice down there i guess. :)
and it was a beefed up version with hildebrandt blades and such but still a beetle spin to me.

Edward

Four Pointer
You are probably right redbow. One of them made a good point about the soft baits though, said it's hard to get clients comfortable using the hard baits when they only have a few hours to catch fish.