Heck of a trout bite today

hawkman

Eight Pointer
I'm sitting here with a few fixits on the boat that I'm just not doing. Stupid me. Missing some awesome fishing.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Fished an area this morning that I’ve never fished before. Pretty good topwater bite. Caught 23 trout 15-22”, 1 drum 23”. Happy the water temps have finally gotten to a point that makes finding these fish more predictable.
We made a scouting trip over that way yesterday. Considering we didnt get there until noon, we didnt do to bad. Think we had 14 or 15 drum up to about 25" , a dozen keeper trout, and about 20 flounder. About half the flounder were legal size. Also spooked a door mat off the edge of a shoal at a creek mouth. Dang thing was about as long as a fish tote.
Everything was caught on a jig

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
When the water surface is calm, look for pop up slicks (caused by fish oils left when bait is being eaten).

“Why are you in such a hurry to bomb a bait out? Nothing has been happening”

“They’re here! A slick just popped up...”

People think you’re crazy when you say you see a slick from the beach or pier, but it’s a sure fire way to know drum are there. Never really heard them mentioned with trout or other fish, but then again I’m not in that crowd.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Slow weekend on trout for me on the southern end of pamlico sound. Plenty of drum in the 18-22 inch range though.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
“Why are you in such a hurry to bomb a bait out? Nothing has been happening”

“They’re here! A slick just popped up...”

People think you’re crazy when you say you see a slick from the beach or pier, but it’s a sure fire way to know drum are there. Never really heard them mentioned with trout or other fish, but then again I’m not in that crowd.
Absolutely. You see a slick pop up and get a smell of that fishy watermelon scent, it's game time. We catch a lot of trout behind the house chasing slicks from trout feeding on shrimp. Terns picking on the slicks are dead give aways too.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Absolutely. You see a slick pop up and get a smell of that fishy watermelon scent, it's game time. We catch a lot of trout behind the house chasing slicks from trout feeding on shrimp. Terns picking on the slicks are dead give aways too.

That watermelon scent is one of my favorite smells. Means it’s game time, or at least has your adrenaline pumping waiting for coach to put you in the game lol

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
Fished Hyde County all weekend. Finally got to catch a trout on top water, had 5 more blow ups and got too excited on one and pulled it out. Found a little hole that was holding some reds and caught 10 or so that were on the lower end of the slot. Had some flounder mixed in for the heck of it. One thing was for certain, it was hot as hell out there!

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Fished Friday morning in the Bay River. Caught 6 keeper trout from 5:50 to 6:15 am, all on topwater. Thought I was going to catch 50 by 9:00. Nope. The bait went down and the bite shut off like a switch flipped. I threw in the towel and spent the rest of the day pulling my daughter skiing.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I took Sportsman out fishing Saturday morning for my normal azz kicking trout fishing. Being the net man is my specialty when I fish with him. Doesn't matter if he is in the back of the boat, or the front, the fish find his lure about 75% more often than mine. :ROFLMAO: We, mostly he, caught 19 fish. 18 Trout, and 1 Pup. All but one were keepers and we kept none. 18 bites were top water which was fun to watch. Literally. LOL...

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Enjoyed the trip with Bux. Damn nice fishing vessel!!! That man can net the hell out of a trout. 😁

We actually probably had closer to 40 topwater bites to wind up catching what we did. Probably could have caught several more had we cheated and thrown the popping cork rig in there at first when we were getting the weak topwater slaps versus aggressive attacks. Nevertheless, a respectable morning of fishing!

seedrooster

Eight Pointer
I caught more fish this weekend than I could believe . Caught 20-30 flounder and most were keeper size. Caught 15-20 drum all keeper size. Caught 15-20 trout most were short but did catch 3-4 nice ones . I wish all days could be like these were!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Not trout but I do have my grandsons a few days so we went to Badin with the catfish noodles.... :)

We brought 6 into the boat and lost a nice one because my wife tried to haul over the side of the boat instead of netting...I run the trolling motor and let the grandsons (12 and 8) hook the noodle and man the net...It's a hoot just watching these 2 do that...Plus, I used frozen shrimp from Walmart and found that Procure Shrimp on shrimp works pretty well...

I will say it is a dang shame to go to a lake and see a sign warning about eating the fish from that lake...

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I caught more fish this weekend than I could believe . Caught 20-30 flounder and most were keeper size. Caught 15-20 drum all keeper size. Caught 15-20 trout most were short but did catch 3-4 nice ones . I wish all days could be like these were!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soft plastics?

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Talk to me about live baiting trout, I've never even tried it. I know it works, just haven't done it. In my mind, I'd throw a couple live baits out once I found fish, and would continue to cast artificials. I'd probably want to try 6" mullets in hopes of drawing a larger fish. Again, no idea....never done it. Educate me.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
^^ We've had a couple trips last month that it was hard to keep from catching croakers and had BIG specks inhale em before you got the croaker back to the boat. They were not small croaker either, probably 7-8". With a 7" croaker on a jig and soft plastic tail, there just aint enough hook left for a double digit speck. Typically, we never livebait em, but have definitely seen the need .

Clark

Ten Pointer
Few years ago Dad and I were (unsuccessfully) fishing at Bouge Inlet. Stopped and spoke with an older gentleman who was castnetting. Few minutes later he waked by, dropped a HUGE mullet minnow on the sand and said, "try that". Dad hooked the minnow up, walked out a few yards and cast out. Before he even got back to dry sand he had a pickup and caught the largest trout I think he ever caught.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Talk to me about live baiting trout, I've never even tried it. I know it works, just haven't done it. In my mind, I'd throw a couple live baits out once I found fish, and would continue to cast artificials. I'd probably want to try 6" mullets in hopes of drawing a larger fish. Again, no idea....never done it. Educate me.
Croaker, pigfish or pinfish under a popping cork. A lot of the inshore guides here keep pinfish pots set to get them for their charters or use a sabiki rig to catch them.

redbow

Ten Pointer
I fish large mud minnows on a Carolina rig. 1/2 oz egg sinker with a 6-8" 20 lb mono leader. I use a 1/0 circle hook

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I understand what baits, the rig, etc. I’m asking if you just roll up on a spot and throw 2-3 live baits overboard, have a seat and just drift? or do you pitch out a few live baits once you’ve located fish using artificials? do you continue to cast artificials while drifting?

redbow

Ten Pointer
I understand what baits, the rig, etc. I’m asking if you just roll up on a spot and throw 2-3 live baits overboard, have a seat and just drift? or do you pitch out a few live baits once you’ve located fish using artificials? do you continue to cast artificials while drifting?
I don't use live bait when I fish from my boat. I have a spot I fish from the bank that has oysters and other structure. I lose a few rigs but the reward is worth it. As for your situation, I would fish around oysters with some current or maybe where a creek flows into a body of water. I know that is vague but that's all Ive I've got.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
10-4. Never been a live bait guy....but, wouldn't mind tossing a couple out to see what happens while I'm casting. May try it sometime. Thanks for the input.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
On fishing with live bait, around Belhaven and the Pungo I've had good luck using large "bass minnows" at bridge pilings on a slip bobber rig, to suspend them just off the bottom in the channel. I would buy them the day before from bait shops, and with a little care they stayed alive in an aeriated live well to fish the next day. Also had good luck with the slip bobber rig on the rock jetties at Masonboro Inlet, but there we used mainly shrimp purchased form Motts Channel seafood, and pinfish caught in a cast net from their docks The slip bobber rig allows you to fish in deeper water than just using a float. I never had much luck with mud minnows, although I know some people do.

Gus

Six Pointer
What kinda topwater lures are you guys catchin em on. Never tried topwater for trout. Sounds like some fun right there. How deep o water?
Thanks