Heavier arrow setup

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I’m having to go down in draw weight due to some shoulder issues, and I’m concerned about performance.

What I was getting with this setup at 71 lbs was acceptable, but minimally so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've shot heavy and I've shot light in both poundage and arrow weight. I went down in weight years ago due to bad shoulders and back and wouldn't go back if i could.

I shoot 50# and a 350gr arrow with a 100gr thunderhead and I have no penetration issues what so ever. My daughter shoots a lighter arrow than me at 44# and she's only harvested 2 with her bow and both passed completely thru.

A well placed arrow with a sharp broadhead through a deers vitals will penetrate plenty no matter heavy or light, but you gotta stay out of the shoulder, especially if you're shooting on the light end. A heavier arrow and poundage will be stuck in the dirt a little deeper but the results will be the same in my experience.

Let me add, I limit my shots at deer to 30yds with the majority of them being 20yds and less. I think it all comes down to personal preference and the type hunting one does.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
It will be interesting to see if the deer jump the string more in THPs upcoming deer tour. The pigs Ted killed a couple nights ago both jumped it pretty bad. That's only gonna get worse the farther the range increases.

I’m not arguing that they will jump the string, but from some of the research I’ve seen and some of the Ashby stuff the (animals) react more to the sound of the arrow than the bow. And from some of the stuff I read they hear it, register it and start to move when the arrow is 20-30ft from them. That’s not a lot of time for an animal to move I know they do but 340 vs 280 FPS isn’t a big difference in 30ft in my opinion. But at 40+ yards I think there will be some missed deer but those guys seem to try and take close shots.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It will be interesting to see if the deer jump the string more in THPs upcoming deer tour. The pigs Ted killed a couple nights ago both jumped it pretty bad. That's only gonna get worse the farther the range increases.
Increasing hang time, WILL increase deer jumping the string. Whether that be longer shots, or slower arrows from increased arrow weight or reduced bow poundage. The slower that arrow is going, the more they will react.

I am a fan of small diameter shafts, brass inserts, and fixed heads. All of those have proven their worth to me. But I also agree with JONOV that not every archer's arrow needs are the same. For those who know what they need - go for it. Too many do not, and just jump on whatever is popular or most available. I have always wanted to try the GrizzlyStik tapered shafts and single bevel broadheads, but the cost is a deterrent when you shoot for meat as much as trophies.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
0495f4d5e8ea29e7ee575908f9025ab5.jpg

I figured if were going to get into the weeds of archery we should go together.

330 IBO bow
65#
28.5” DL
27” arrow total weight 440gn
Point/ front weight 163gn total

4.5” drop from 20-30yds

Speed1

Eight Pointer
Well, since killer wants us to get in the weeds together, I'll give my 1 cent worth on the subject. I have been studying this subject since 1981, dang I'm getting old, lol. Cut my teeth shooting the good old aluminum Easton shafts in 2216, 125 grain wasp cam loks. I can't recall the exact weight of those shafts, but I'm betting 500+ grains. Of course when the space age carbons came out, I had to try them. After all those years, and its a lot of years shooting and hunting and tinkering with shafts of all sizes and brands, I have found the perfect combination. Now I am adding the disclaimer that I am not a professional engineer, nor do I have a degree in physics. This combination is what to this day flies and kills the absolute best for me, is the quietest and smoothest. I am shooting the fmj, 340, 27 1/4", long, i think, have to measure to be sure. 75 grain brass inserts, 125 grain head, 64#. If I remember correctly, they have a foc around 15 or 16 %. So to the op, I also think you are headed in the right direction. Let us know how your experiment goes. Best of luck.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
@sky hawk what heads are you shooting?
I like a 4 blade - the tried and true design of 2 main blades and 2 smaller bleeder blades. I have shot a lot of Magnus Stingers, and they get the job done if I do my part. Ashby's studies show the inferior penetration of a 3 blade over a 2 blade. I am of the opinion that despite the excellent penetration of a plain 2 blade, bleeders at a 90 degree angle enhance the likelihood of vessel and organ damage without much loss in penetration. I think that trusted old design of the Bear Razor heads is a very good balance for whitetail.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I like a 4 blade - the tried and true design of 2 main blades and 2 smaller bleeder blades. I have shot a lot of Magnus Stingers, and they get the job done if I do my part. Ashby's studies show the inferior penetration of a 3 blade over a 2 blade. I am of the opinion that despite the excellent penetration of a plain 2 blade, bleeders at a 90 degree angle enhance the likelihood of vessel and organ damage without much loss in penetration. I think that trusted old design of the Bear Razor heads is a very good balance for whitetail.

Good information.
Thank you.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
0495f4d5e8ea29e7ee575908f9025ab5.jpg

I figured if were going to get into the weeds of archery we should go together.

330 IBO bow
65#
28.5” DL
27” arrow total weight 440gn
Point/ front weight 163gn total

4.5” drop from 20-30yds

My results at similar specs were the same:
328 IBO bow
60#
28.5" DL
28.25" arrow total weight 420 grains
up front weight 143 14% FOC

4.5" drop from 20-30 yds (not sure my shooting is near as good )

Speed1

Eight Pointer
Just weighed 9lone of my arrows to see the total weight. Finished arrow, 125 grain Swhacker, 75 grain brass insert, fmj 340 @ 27 inches, fusion 2 inch vanes. Total weight = 540 grains. Meat seeking missile, haha.

westfalcon4

Button Buck
I think the best thing is to try a lot of setups and see what fits you and your bow the best. If you’re interested in everyone commenting about Ranch Fairy, you could purchase one of his test kits (just search ranch fairy test kit). Gives you two different spined arrows, adjustable inserts, and various point weights. I think that allows you to experiment a bit without spending the $ to build a dozen arrows, only to find out they’re not what you wanted.