Heard wood ducks on my creek

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Here in Harnett I been hearing wood ducks . I don't know jack about duck hunting . Is this creek big enough to attract them consistently?
Resized_20220115_142654.jpegResized_20220115_143012(1).jpeg

TH80

Eight Pointer
Is there more water not in the pic? Looks like a flooded path. If that’s all the water and they are using it after you shoot it one time that’s probably it.

Reactions: jug

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've seen them land in a pocket of water down in the woods no bigger than a car hood, but it's usually near a wateroak where they intend to feed.

same here,,

I have a couple of places that are AWESOME when we get a huge rain (think tropical storm level rains)

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
that looks like a 100 acre lease I had up there off of micro tower rd,,, but that was 10 ish years ago,,,
Microtower road is not far from me but alot of new houses on Microtower road

Last edited:

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Is there more water not in the pic? Looks like a flooded path. If that’s all the water and they are using it after you shoot it one time that’s probably it.
Places are wider but only about 2 ft deep maybe 3 in spots

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Places are wider but only about 2 ft deep maybe 3 in spot
I've seen them land in a pocket of water down in the woods no bigger than a car hood, but it's usually near a wateroak where they intend to feed.
I got no water oaks down there. Could throw out some corn but that's ILLEGAL😉😄 my neighbor has an acre pond in the woods within a 100 yards of my creek

TH80

Eight Pointer
Like said above they will land in some small places. If they are there then there’s something they like and will be back but shoot it up much and they won’t stick around long. It’s worth a try

Reactions: jug

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Actually 4-10” of water is ideal for puddlers to tip and feed off bottom, however that depth for wood ducks is fine because most of their food source will be either floating acorns and/or floating/semi submerged moist soil seeds such as smartweed, barnyard grass, etc. If you have a good food source for them, they very well might hang around. But as mentioned, you can’t pressure them much or they will quickly vacate.

TH80

Eight Pointer
You have the hard part figured out you know where they want to be. You don’t need decoys for just a woodie hunt. I do like to call even if I don’t have a decoy out. Make sure you’re there before shooting time. It’s a quick hunt and then get a biscuit on the way home.

Capt.Squirrel

Button Buck
Here in Harnett I been hearing wood ducks . I don't know jack about duck hunting . Is this creek big enough to attract them consistently?
View attachment 83522View attachment 83523
All jokes aside wood ducks are a strange bird I have seen them fill a creek up you could hop across. I've seen them navigate through row pine on the edge of a cut over into skidder tracks and I've spooked em out of wax myrtle in 100 degrees 2 feet from my face in 2 inches of water. Like others said they are there for a reason whether it be acrons a supply of snails or even crayfish I have killed plenty with all of the above in their craw. Good luck and reload fast hunt em in their bedroom! Good luck to you

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
My first time hunting woodies was this year. After I found where some birds were hanging out. I had a limit in less than two minutes. Could not believe how fast it was over.
That's what my Dad always called "flying time", all 5 minutes of it. We'd have the juniper boat loaded and on the road early enough to drive for an hour, put the boat in at a bridge and paddle down to a favorite slough just to be there for that few minutes of magic that was always as special as the last time. Sure do miss the old boy!

After that we'd float downstream jump shooting woodies or if lucky get into the mallards. That usually took 4-5 hours to the next bridge and have to find a way to retrieve our truck if that wasn't already arranged.

Last edited: