Headlight restoration?

poppy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My old 4x4 beater has the plastic lens that have turned yellow. I've seen the toothpaste video on YouTube but haven't tried it yet.
Anyone had success with getting their headlights clear again?

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Sure you can shine em up with all the gimmicks and what not. They'll look like ? again in short order.

Take em to a body shop. We sand and re-clear coat them. A few are to far gone, and need replacing. Some will look brand new again. Most will look really good, and STAY that way.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If it just on the outside you can restore them. The ones on my 99 Chevy were just to far gone so replaced them. The stuff I got at Advance Auto seems to work. I just rub over them when I change the oil.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can try car polish....like scratch doctor. It takes a while, but most of the time it will work. Wet sand and clear coat works well.

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
Tried them all, and all work for awhile. Save yourself the time and trouble and buy some cheap knockoffs on eBay. Will outlast anything you do yourself and won’t break 100.00.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Rustoleum "wipe new" I used it on 2 vehicles 2 years ago and they still look new. 12 or 13 dollars and it works . I got a video on it. took less than 10 mins on each light.

Wipe New is the bast bang for our buck.

bsjk

Button Buck
Tried them all, and all work for awhile. Save yourself the time and trouble and buy some cheap knockoffs on eBay. Will outlast anything you do yourself and won’t break 100.00.
Funny you say that, just saw last night I could buy a set of headlights for my wife’s expedition almost as cheap as a good headlight restoration kit

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
you cant buy headlights for 12 bucks which is what "wipe new" cost. others maybe cheaper to do the headlights but "wipe new" should be the best way economically.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Just replaced the lights on my Dodge yesterday, ordered them from Headlight Depot. Got the entire unit including corner lights and they included new bulbs in the headlight units plus they included a set of the bright white xenon & krypton which seem to be both popular and contentious, all for just under $72.00. If you're willing to wait 5-7 days for shipping it's free but mine came in two days for free.

deerslayer60

Ten Pointer
I have had really good results with 3m headlight restore kit,comes with a sanding disc that mounts in a drill . It has different grit paper and polish. Works great and has lasted a year and a half so far and still looks good

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sure you can shine em up with all the gimmicks and what not. They'll look like ? again in short order.

Take em to a body shop. We sand and re-clear coat them. A few are to far gone, and need replacing. Some will look brand new again. Most will look really good, and STAY that way.
What are y’all charging to sand and clear? Do you use the fast drying clear?

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I just did mine and they came out ok. Did a wet sand from 150 grit to 2000 and finished with a clear coat.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I tried a kit once, and this was the conclusion I came to. Spent a lot of time trying to get it right, and it didn't get as clear as I'd hoped or stay clear.

If it's really a beater and you don't care, I'd try the polish. If you really want them to be clear and stay clear, I'd just replace them.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have tried several of the head light restore kits, not one worked, if it looked better it was only for a few weeks then turned to crap.

Did not try Wipe New, will try that.
Wifes Taco looks like crap but still work.
Her truck eats light bulbs, maybe 2 a year or so.
May be the lights but not the bulbs, tried a few different types still stop working every 6 months. Most on the left side.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Amazon had NEW for $23 for the wifes van, and I decided my time and energy was well worth that so just replaced them.

m704

Six Pointer
My old 4x4 beater has the plastic lens that have turned yellow. I've seen the toothpaste video on YouTube but haven't tried it yet.
Anyone had success with getting their headlights clear again?
try deep woods off bug spray after u see what it does u wont ever use it on ur skin again lol

302cj

Old Mossy Horns
I've tried all of them.
Hairspray
Off
Polish kits
Toothpaste
Sandpaper (1500 grit)
Wipe new
And nothing yet has worked!!

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
To all the above that day they d ont work well you haven't tried WIPE NEW ...12 bucks and it works...got a video on it and it took me 2o mins at the most....2 years and still looks new.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
What are y’all charging to sand and clear? Do you use the fast drying clear?
Depends on the car. Yeah, we have fast clear, but its not something you're gonna want to wait on because spray booth openings are unpredictable at best. Takes about an hour to do. Another hour to dry.

The Dude

Eight Pointer
Picked up some Wipe New today (not the headlight specific one, the one for trim/dressings as it said I can use it on my headlights as well). Parked the truck in the garage, got my Bill Burr podcast goin, open the package and the bottle has leaked and dried a mess in the bag. Lol! guess that'll be on hold till tomorrow.