Heading to Cherokee this weekend

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Heading up to Cherokee tomorrow for a little family camping trip and some trout fishing. I haven't fished Cherokee in about 12 years. We are staying at the KOA there, which has some tribal ponds right next to it. Anyone been up there lately? Like I said, its been at least 12 years for me and I can remember it being very crowded at times. There are no tournaments going on this weekend so I am hoping that will reduce some of the pressure. Either way I am looking forward to the trip. Hopefully I can get my daughters (7 and 3) on some fish. I really hope we catch some. My oldest daughter loves to watch "Meat Eater" with me and the episode where he cooks trout over a fire is her favorite. She wants to eat trout "cave man style" as Rinella calls it!

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Speaking of campfire.........it's supposed to be below freezing this weekend in the mountains! Friday is rainy/cool and Saturday is possible rain/snow mix.

I enjoy winter camping but the little gals may not! Should be plenty of fish in the water so good luck if you come up this way.

southerngunbelle

Six Pointer
Sounds fun, enjoy!!
My husband LOVES to fish, freshwater & saltwater. He’s gotten me back into it, I’m hoping soon we can get some fishing in, too!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Might be crowded due to spring break but they still stock plenty of fish. Good luck

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Was up there in October.

Pink shad Berkeley powerbait trout worms under a cork caught fish for my 5yr old and my 3 yr old

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Speaking of campfire.........it's supposed to be below freezing this weekend in the mountains! Friday is rainy/cool and Saturday is possible rain/snow mix.

I enjoy winter camping but the little gals may not! Should be plenty of fish in the water so good luck if you come up this way.

Well, we are glamping. I have a 30 ft travel trailer. So they don't have to worry about peeing in the woods or hunkering down in a tent. If the weather sucks we will hang out in the camper or head to town and check some things out. Whatever the weather, I'm sure we will have fun. I really enjoy these trips. Buying a camper was one of my better purchases.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well, we are glamping. I have a 30 ft travel trailer. So they don't have to worry about peeing in the woods or hunkering down in a tent. If the weather sucks we will hang out in the camper or head to town and check some things out. Whatever the weather, I'm sure we will have fun. I really enjoy these trips. Buying a camper was one of my better purchases.

I assumed a camper but you mentioned a campfire........just letting you know it may get rained on. Have fun! Bring money!

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
They shut down the trout fishing on the rez for two weeks until the tournament was over but it should be opened back up now as I believe the tourney was last weekend.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Well so far the weather has been cloudy and cool with sporadic showers. I went fishing at daybreak and caught a 16" rainbow on second cast. After that I couldn't get a bite to save my life for over an hour! Got the kids out with me about 9am. My oldest landed an 18" trout on her own and lost a handful more. My 3 yr old lost about 7 fish in 5 minutes! She refuses to fish with anything other than her Cinderella pole! Very difficult to land fish with that thing but she was having a ball fighting them. Right now we have 7 fish in the cooler. Plenty for us. I may add a few more to take home for the freezer, but I prefer my trout fresh.

Crestliner

Six Pointer
My oldest and I gave it a shot Thursday. Only managed 2 trout about 16". Seemed like 100+ people decided to fish the same day, never the less I learned different methods watching others.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Had a great time, despite the weather not being all that good. I cooked up some trout Saturday night. To my surprise, both of my children absolutely devoured them! My kids are usually very picky (especially my 3 yr old) but they couldn't get enough of it. My 3yr old ate nearly a whole trout by herself! I've been doing the best I can to expose them different types of game and fish and they have been doing really well with trying new things.

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
Sounds like a great time. I have not been since I was a small kid. Hopefully I can get out that way sometime in the immediate future.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like ball I've been trout fishing since I could walk. You got them youngins on right track fun and good eating now they gonna want to go back when weather is nicer good thing about the area its usually nice and comfortable into June after school lets out