Headed to oak island next Saturday

hurricanepeppers

Six Pointer
Heading down next Saturday and I'm gonna try my hand at surf fishing. But I have a few questions for the vets of fishing.

1. What would be a good bait shop recommendation?

2. Should I buy my tackle here or there?

3. What are some essentials?

4. What fish are best for eating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Pompano and whiting make excellent eating from the surf.

Simple two hook bottom rigs and 2-4 ounce sinkers work for all but rough water and currents.

Fresh shrimp and sandfleas make the best baits but the Fish Bites artificial strips are also worth trying

https://fishbites.com/product/long-lasting-ez-shrimp/

Not sure where you are coming from but if you are passing through North Myrtle Beach the Bass Pro there has plenty of terminal saltwater tackle.

For local tackle I'd check in at Dutchman Creek or Wildlife bait shops

hurricanepeppers

Six Pointer
We are coming from Taylorsville. I just looked up the dutchman. Fry or grill? Eat raw? Thank you

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Fry or grill em up with Old Bay seasoning, butter and lemon juice.

Simple and delicious imho.

Good luck, hope you have great weather.

CBD21

Eight Pointer
Tackle = Dutchman creek
Fresh shrimp for bait = Clem’s
It will be hit or miss this time of year it’s been pretty slow the last couple weeks in the surf few smaller blues, whiting, croaker. Back waters in the boat have been slow as well. But you never know till you try good luck.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Fishing is going to suck with all the rain.

Buy shrimp you would eat....not the frozen crap.

I like wildlife but since Jimmy is gone its not the same...Dutchman has a heck of a selection though.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I just got back from Sunset Harbor (right behind Oak Island) last Saturday. The water on the inland side is red from all the rain, and I didn't catch anything (what little I was able to fish between thunder storms) all week. Your best bet is probably fishing the inlet, or surf fishing.

hurricanepeppers

Six Pointer
I just got back from Sunset Harbor (right behind Oak Island) last Saturday. The water on the inland side is red from all the rain, and I didn't catch anything (what little I was able to fish between thunder storms) all week. Your best bet is probably fishing the inlet, or surf fishing.

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on hitting the Dutchman for help and tackle. I hope we have good weather. I will throw some pics up if I catch anything. Thanks to everyone who gave me info.

hurricanepeppers

Six Pointer
e667e2655720c382235ea9cb5fd5c6c9.jpg

Small founder
I think a small croaker not pictured and a small red drum also not pictured. Having fun doing it though.

Infamous1

Eight Pointer
Good deal!! Hit Haag and sons if you need to supplement your fish fry, nice folks and fresh seafood.

hurricanepeppers

Six Pointer
Well boys I had a great time. Caught some small pompano a few whiting some smaller sharks. Thank you guys for the info.

Reactions: CRC

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Hurricanepepper, October-November (especially after Thanksgiving) hit that surf and the big mullet will be in. Have caught them on into Dec. - Jan. Sand fleas- shrimp on incoming tide best bet.