Haw River Hybrids

kilacam

Six Pointer
Curious to see if the hybrids still run up the Haw in Jordan? Use to go there with my uncle as a kid and did quite well. Haven't done any hybrid fishing in a while and was thinking about giving it a try. Anyone know if they still stock hybrids in Jordan?

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Not really, no place in nc really stocks a lot of Hybrids anymore......there may be be a lake or two up greensboro way on reedy Fork creek where they stock a few but only a few make it that far down towards Jordan. .....the Atlantic states marine fisheries commission(I think thats the group) reccomends NO hybrids stoked into any water that flows eventually the atlantic......Virginia does not stock any that flow into chesapeake bay now. The reason is they have found is .5 percent can reproduce with full strain stripers and mess up the genetic intergrity of the striper population. that is only 1 out of 200 fish but still it can hurt the population.
So in short NC stocks only a fraction of what they did.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Curious to see if the hybrids still run up the Haw in Jordan? Use to go there with my uncle as a kid and did quite well. Haven't done any hybrid fishing in a while and was thinking about giving it a try. Anyone know if they still stock hybrids in Jordan?
was on the Haw yesterday pm....had a good day(few evening hours) catching whites. a few were good sized. video out soon on it but see above post...really no hybids to speak of now around Jordan. you may catch one here and there bt you cant target them...

kilacam

Six Pointer
was on the Haw yesterday pm....had a good day(few evening hours) catching whites. a few were good sized. video out soon on it but see above post...really no hybids to speak of now around Jordan. you may catch one here and there bt you cant target them...
Thanks for that info. I'll be looking for that video. I've watched quite a few of yours. I like to see videos from NC so keep em coming!

todobien

Eight Pointer
We need to meet up and fish together sometime vs just talking fishing.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Salem lake re-opens next week. Grab your kayak and wear em out. If you’re fishing bait don’t put but two rods out if you have good holders! Zara spook in the morning in feeding fish is a blast. Troll a big(ger) cleo from spot to spot. No deeper than about 10ft when trolling regardless of lure. Varies slightly with thermocline depth. Have fun.